A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand-built 1st Semester Ceramics  (Read 1411 times)
Tags for this thread: ceramic  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2010 11:28:50 PM »

In posting my first ceramic pieces, I feel the need to tell you all about Ron, my ceramics professor.
He is amazing. He can throw a pot on the wheel in 30 seconds flat.  He also studied under the #2 potter in the world at the time (and lived and studied with the guy in freaking JAPAN for several months before earning the title "sensei," which is a mighty big honor there). Talents aside, the guy is still awesome. He's a huge nerd and is totally proud of it. Plus, he lets us have *almost* free reign with the projects we do. He's a great teacher, in the truest sense of the word.

Anyway, you can tell by now that he's a pretty cool guy. For now, I'll get to the pictures, which I'm sure are the only reason you're reading this bloody thread (and I apologize for the crappy lighting):

My favorite happy accident-
Alice in Wonderland slab bowl (Los Altos, Max's Purple Pink glaze w/manganese stain)-
Chesire cat, side view:

He was done with a cat cookie cutter, a porcelain clown-face stamp for the face, and a needle tool for the ears.

EAT ME & key, side view:

The key above was given to me by my boyfriend (I believe it's from an anime called Blood Plus). I had a shot of the DRINK ME part and a better shot of the key, but my photo editor decided to eat them instead.

The cute little spade I carved on the inside bottom of the bowl got blown to sh*t in the bisque firing (air bubbles- ARGH). The good news is that I discovered how to throw ceramic mushrooms on the wheel, which I am going to "plant" in the bowl along with moss and river rocks. Who doesn't like a fairy garden?  Grin

Mishima pinch pot (Los Altos clay, Celadon & Orange Coast Black glazes)

Partial side view:

The side says, "The city lights are cold + violent." It's a line from an Amanda Palmer song called Ampersand (hence, the & on the inside).

Slab pitcher (Los Altos, Seacrest Black glaze):

I have a lot of trouble getting glazes to come out even. On this one, you can see the clay body through at the top and the glaze is really thick at the bottom. I kinda like the effect though.
___________________ ___________________ ________________

But WAIT! There's more!

Not only is my professor amazing at what he does, and is generally a great a person, but he's also taking me to Coachella Fest to ride along in my rock hero's limo. I'm going to Coachella with Josh FRIGGING Homme from Queens of the Stone Age! Ron just happens to live next door to him (and my uncle, incidentally), and decided I have to tag along since I nearly died of oxygen deprivation when he told our class who he's going to the festival with. Plus, I was the only person in the class who even knows who Them Crooked Vultures are.

Okay, rant over. Sorry for writing a book. :/

Now, more importantly, what do you guys think of my haul from last semester? C & C most certainly appreciated.

*Update: I'm really upset because the administration at the school just suspended my professor (two months before his retirement, no less, and after having been there 40 years), because of a difference of opinion. They've put him on an indefinite administrative leave and I'm thinking of staging a sit-in inside the ceramics studio, lol. He's the only reason I decided to take the class again. I'm so tired of bureaucratic BS screwing with my education and my school. Grrrr...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010 05:46:56 PM by pikaboo26 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?
___________________ _____

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010 01:01:43 AM »

That really sucks about your ceramics teacher :-( Good teachers are hard to find, especially ones that inspire you to do such cool things! I'd love to know how to throw a mushroom on the wheel. I'm going to head over to Youtube and maybe there's a demo there.....unless you might want to divulge?Huh? ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
crafty gurll
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010 10:29:37 AM »

Very nice, it all looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010 08:45:36 PM »

That really sucks about your ceramics teacher :-( Good teachers are hard to find, especially ones that inspire you to do such cool things! I'd love to know how to throw a mushroom on the wheel. I'm going to head over to Youtube and maybe there's a demo there.....unless you might want to divulge?Huh? ;-)

It's not as hard as it seems. You just push the clay upwards to make the stem (taper it slightly up from the bottom) and then press down on the top of it with one hand still wrapped around the base (to help the stem keep its shape). When you press down on the top of it the clay there spreads outward to form the cap. Does that make sense? I can do some diagrams or something to clarify.

And thanks for the compliment. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
crafty gurll
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010 06:56:57 AM »

I'd love to see a picture of the mushroom.  Are they large?  Do you hollow them out inside?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010 06:31:58 AM »

The mushrooms are different sizes. (I've only done two of them; one is about 4 in., the other is about 3 in.) The bowl I'm "planting" them in is about 1 ft wide and 5 in. deep.  I should have hollowed them out, but I forgot to before they went in the bisque firing. They might have finally gone into a glaze load at the college last week, so when I get them back, I will post pics. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alan Cumming Discusses His Macbeth Adaptation
Mark Henshaw on His Debut Thriller, "Red Cell"
The Forsaken Book Trailer
When You Were Mine Book Trailer
Owen West on Being an American Adviser to the Iraqi Army
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...