A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rose Jasmine Soap - In a Pringles Can!  (Read 5860 times)
Tags for this thread: cold_process_soap , cp_soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010 06:57:08 AM »

Awesome thanks!  I think ginger bergamot is going to be amazing! 

I just did a 2 lb batch, but the scent really isnt' very strong.  Honestly, I can smell the coconut oil in the soap over the scent a little bit :-/  I haven't ever tried FO's before, I'll have to be careful with how much I add Wink  Thanks for the advice, I'll be making this batch in the garage hehe Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010 08:04:23 AM »

Hee!  It might not make everyone feel sick, but it sure does for me.  (I think it's supposed to be good for nausea--go figure.)

Where did you get your FOs from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
Mandyhello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010 10:13:25 AM »

Where did you get your FOs from?

I've always used EO's in the past, I got them from Puritan's Pride this time (if you click from the ad on google, they have coupon codes, I got my last batch for 40% off!).  I think I'm going to buy a few FO's from Sweetcakes (I've heard good things) and see how they do.. 

This might be a question for another topic, but does anybody know exactly what's in a FO?  Why don't things like ginger and lilac have EO's?

Yeah..  officially soap crazy Cheesy  I might make another batch this weekend! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010 11:44:16 AM »

Ginger is an EO.   Wink  In answer to the rest of your question, I actually wondered the same thing a little while ago in this thread here-- Miss Bloom's answer, partway down, is especially illuminating: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=340154.0

It looks like the Puritan Pride rose and jasmine EOs are "100% Pure Blended Essential Oil."  Which is slippery wording (pure... blended?), but I think what it means is that you got a mixture of things, not all of which are EO.  This would explain why your smell didn't come through!  If you had used 2 oz. of pure essential oil in a 2 lb. batch, the smell would be knocking you backward.

I've heard really great stuff about Daystar too!  They're probably a swell place to go.  I always like to plug WSP as well--they ship EOs and FOs for free, so if you're just trying to pick up a few more bottles of scent, you don't have to pay out the rear for shipping.

Hooray for being bitten by the soaping bug!  Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010 02:56:21 PM »

I think a 100% pure blended EO would have to be all EO from the way they worded that...but the blend part could mean it's 90% orange EO or something cheaper and just a little rose or jasmine, both of which are insanely expensive as pure EO's.

That puritan place looks crazy expensive, unless I was looking in the wrong spot (totally possible) plus it seemed that most of their stuff was listed in 10 mL? That's like 1/3 of an ounce. They appear to be geared towards aromatherapy and not soap makers (again, I could have been looking at a different website)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010 02:58:43 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010 03:54:35 PM »

Fantastic! What a great idea to use the Pringles can. The ultimate in reuse/recycling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010 06:35:21 PM »

** As a note, this post is totally meant to be helpful and informative, I sincerely hope it doesn't come off as sounding shmarmy. Smiley **

Hmmm I think I may see the scent issue. I went to the same site MareMare did and it is insanely expensive because it's geared for aromatherapy. What that means is two things:

Did you use two ounces or two bottles? Because the bottles are 10ml. (.33oz), you probably only used a little over half an ounce. Also, that is *not* a pure EO, it's, as the website says "100% blended essential oil." Rose EO is very, very pricey by itself, so I'm guessing it's mixed with a carrier oil or other floral oils.

By and large, I highly recommend avoiding vitamin/aromatherapy stores. For one thing the prices are outrageous, for another, aromatherapy oils are generally suspect on ingredients. Sometimes they are pure, but others they are ... questionable. I've seen some at Whole Foods that contain alcohol as a preservative.

I hope maybe that answers the scent issue? Again, I'm totally trying to be helpful for your next attempt, which I hope we'll get to see because it looks like you're off to a fabulous start! I forgot how much I love round soaps! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Mandyhello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010 07:23:12 AM »

Nymeria, I was thinking exactly the same thing..  I think I've been suckered!  A friend at work recommended that site, but I honestly think my local natural foods store is cheaper now that I've ordered from Puritan's..  My local natural foods place has 1 ounce pure EO (no blends) for around $9-12 depending on the EO (some are much more obviously).  I think for the next batch, I could get an ounce of Bergamot and an ounce of Ginger for under $20..  I'd be completely willing to find a better online retailer though, any suggestions? 

I'm still curious..  what exactly is in your average FO?  I think I'm stuck on the "all natural" thing for soap, but I'm curious how much a little fake scent would really matter...  I really *really* want to make lilac soap, and the FO seems to be the only option.  I keep thinking too that if I add an ounce or two of fake stuff, it's still waaaay more natural than store bought..

Thanks so much for all of the excellent advice guys, it's all been incredibly helpful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010 08:23:57 AM »

It's hard to say what's "in" FO. It's oil based, I know that. I think the majority of them are maybe sweet almond oil or some other gentle carrier oil, and then artificial oils that produce the fragrance. And YES, even if you fragrance at 5% by volume, any artificial oil you purchase is going to lightyears from crap you buy at the store. Break it down mathmatically: If you fragrance at 3-5%, your soap is 97-95% natural. A bar of Caress, Dove, Dial, Lever 2000, etc. is probably hovering around the 40% range (and that's probably being generous). I'll take 97% over 40% any day of the week!!! Cheesy

Chock it up to be a newbie to the craft. Again, when I first started I paid an obscene amount for palm oil ($8/lb) because I didn't know I could buy it at the Afrikaans market or online for 1/4 of the price. Live and learn, right? Wholesale Supplies Plus has good prices on EOs, and they have some amazing blends. Their energizing blend (sweet orange and ginger) is easily my most favorite ever! They also have Aveda-dupe EO blends. Smiley

Sweetcakes, answering an earlier question is amazing for FOs. Yes they are a little pricey but they are worth it. I have never had problems with their oils, and they smell sooooo heavenly. Their Papaya Nectar is heaven in a bottle (thank you, smittenheart, for getting me addicted to THAT). Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Mandyhello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010 10:44:05 AM »

Argh, SO CHEAP Nymeria!  That's awesome, I'll definitely place a big order after payday.  I think all of the blends sound amazing Smiley

This is bad..  more supplies = more soap making (obsessing) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miranda Mendoza: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Beauty Evolution Trailer
Are Your Feet Ready For Spring?
Solutions to the Biggest Beauty Problems
Homemade Solutions for Stretch Marks That Works
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...