A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Pinata Project (photo heavy)  (Read 4950 times)
Tags for this thread: pinata , hello_kitty , kirby , heat_miser , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

routinefly
« on: April 06, 2010 09:19:48 AM »

Last summer our neighborhood held a block party and I wanted to make something a little different than, say, a potato salad.

I came to the conclusion that nothing says 'party' like a pinata, right?! And what's better than a pinata? MULTIPLE pinatas, of course! It seemed like such a good idea at the time ... The fact of the matter was, I hadn't made a pinata since, oh, third grade. In the Seventies. Fortunately, pinata making is like riding a bike, and by god, it was time to hop back on.

I decided I'd make a pinata for little kids, teens and 'tweens and then one for adults - because why should kids get to have all the fun?!

My elementary aged kids are heavily into Kirby, so I decided to make him/her/it. It was a good call. Making a Kirby pinata is E-Z! I used one of those inflatable round punching balls as Kirby's body, taped on cardboard arms, fashioned a hammer (Kirby had to have a way to fight back, right?), and taped on tiny, barely inflated water balloons for the feet.

Kirby got the mummy treatment - multiple layers of drippy hand-torn newspaper strips dipped in a mixture of flour, water and Elmer's glue. Once two layers were complete and dry, I cut a hole in Kirby and stuffed it with dollar store treasures (bouncy balls, puzzles, art supplies, little pretties and candy, of course. Then I patched Kirby up, base coated and painted him (that's the fun part!) .
Next up, the teens and 'tweens model. Knowing the neighborhood is boy heavy, I suspected they'd get kind of a kick out of bashing Hello Kitty's head in. Turns out I was right. ... The HK pinata was not so EZ. That big head makes her super top heavy, and the bow kinda gave me fits. ...

I stuffed her with things I figured teens would dig on - Pop Rocks, energy shots and small explosives (don't worry, just party poppers and such)
Last but not least, for the adults I settled on the Heat Miser (oh how I heart those Rankin-Bass classics). At the time, we were in the middle of a heatwave and I literally wanted to beat the heat. Mr. Heat Miser was a challenge. Building the body wasn't so bad, but painting him off and settling on how to do his hair was a bear.

I filled him with adult stuff, like airline sized bottles of alcohol, herbal tea and sample packs of pain killers. Smiley
I was sooooo glad when I finished the trio - and they were a hit with the neighbors. (Get it? A HIT!!)
One neighbor liked the pinatas so much, he asked me to make one for him. With a "Boogie Nights" theme. That was interesting ...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 09:48:10 AM by routinefly - Reason: to add photo heavy warning to title » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010 09:56:26 AM »

Oh wow! These are really fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010 10:25:38 AM »

Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010 10:44:54 AM »

Those are so freakin' cool! I couldn't bring myself to whack the HK, but I love the Heat Meiser!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010 11:19:54 AM »

Love all of them!  Kirby especially - his angry look plus the hammer!

Love all of the ideas and the age appropriate goodies!  (I'd probably love to bash the Heat-Meister...and pick up a bottle of Kahlua or something1)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
routinefly
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010 11:36:52 AM »

Love all of the ideas and the age appropriate goodies!  (I'd probably love to bash the Heat-Meister...and pick up a bottle of Kahlua or something1)

Thanks for the kind words and you shoulda been here! There were lots of baby bottles of Kahlua to be had! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010 12:54:53 PM »

your neighbors are lucky to have you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamesofyou

Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010 01:40:31 PM »

These are wicked awesome pinatas! I think the Heat Miser is spot on wonderful.

I just gotta ask, was it hard to see them get smashed to bits after all the work you put in them? Because I'd probably cry, haha Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
routinefly
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010 10:13:56 PM »

I just gotta ask, was it hard to see them get smashed to bits after all the work you put in them? Because I'd probably cry, haha Smiley

Actually, by the time I was done with the pinatas, I wanted to beat 'em to a pulp. Wink
But seriously, I got a kick out of watching people pound 'em. I'll admit - I'm an odd craftster. My 'specialty' is things that are eaten (cakes, etc.) or beaten (pinatas).

What's funny is I'd overengineered these pinatas to such a degree that they were damn near bulletproof. They were hit, kicked, punched, bounced on the street. ... They took a licking and they kept on ticking for many a wallop. ... Good times. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010 07:29:22 AM »

Thanks for sharing these awesome pinatas! I featured them on Craftster's Facebook page today.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are the Best Long Hair Wedding Hairstyles?
How To Do A Quick And Easy Messy Bun
40s Inspired Hairstyles at Carolina Herrera Fall 2013 Show
Summer Hair Care Tips For Moms
Cut Down Your Morning Routine With the Best Dry Shampoos
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...