A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,999
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can you do to make a transcontinental move cheaper?  (Read 594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

captaintili
« on: March 02, 2010 07:38:32 AM »

Hi. I'm not sure if this topic should go in just this category, seeing as it probably applies to a few different ones, but it fits here.
I am going to move myself and my 19 month old daughter from the coast of NC to the state of Washington this summer. I wish to ship as little as possible, so thrift stores will be my primary source of furniture and other housewares that will not fit into my car, and whatever little bit I absolutely wish to ship(think fabric, dressform, and whatever else might fit on a pallet of essential items.)
I am assuming I will be renting either a two bedroom apartment, or a one bedroom in which my daughter gets the bedroom, and I sleep on a futon couch, my dining table will double as a crafting table/schoolwork desk, and my bedroom will double as a living room.
Has anyone come across any great ideas for pulling off furniture on the cheap, like cheaper than thrift store? Or any great ideas for disguising a bedroom within a living room?
Or any great advice for moving 3,000 miles in general when you are a craft-addict?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010 11:26:05 AM »

I moved from California to Chicago in 2008.  Getting rid of stuff so that you move less is a good idea, but don't over do it.  I rented 10ft of truck space through ABF, and it cost me about $2,000.  It would have cost me a lot more than that to try to replace everything that didn't fit in my car, like some people suggested.  Keep everything you can't wait awhile to replace, like your mattress, cookware, anything you need to use daily.  We were able to get a lot of furniture free from relatives, but that came over the course of months.

As for where to get stuff cheap, check out the area's local freecycle group.  Some have stricter rules than others, so find out about it before you leave.  The one in my area just requires your first post be an offer, then you can ask for whatever you want.  That's how I got my futon couch, but we didn't get it until almost a year after we moved. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bunyanka
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010 08:56:28 AM »

hello!

Well first good luck with your move, I've moved across the country twice now, and it is an adjustment

As Ashling mentioned, do compare the cost of moving an item to the cost of replacing it. My partner works in transport, so we were lucky in that we got a great deal to move most of our things for cheap cheap, but we did pitch anything we didn't think would make the journey or wasn't worth moving.

Tips! Check Craigslist and Kijiji for not only garage sales and cheap private sales, but keep an eye on the 'free' section, there is often lots of good stuff thrown up there. Check and see if your new area has a 'freecycle' group, they often use yahoo groups, and you can find some very kind people there as well. My cousin recently was kicked out by some 'friends' and was able to furnish a small single apartment for herself through the free kijiji section! people often dont want to pay to haul things away to the dump or even goodwill, so they just post them free. With a good can of paint and some sewing skills, you can refinish and reupholster (or make slip covers for) just about anything!

I'm not sure what your style is, but you could hide a bedroom in a larger room many ways...casual room dividers (floor standing) pretty gauzy curtains, roman shades, or even just convenient furniture that would hide the things that scream 'bedroom' such as alarm clock, etc. A nice tall dresser or armoir wouldn't look out of place in a living IMO

I like to ramble..I hope your move is smooth and you find whatever you are looking for in your new city Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 2/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 21/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 20/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 18/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 19/28
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...