A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scratch Resistant Sealant?  (Read 2099 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mei
« on: April 05, 2010 01:52:42 PM »

Everyone's using resin because apparently it dries super rock hard. I prefer to stay away from resin because it takes way too long to cure. Unless there is a quick-drying resin that I don't know about?

I heard (more like read) Diane B. say that clear polyurethane would work well to make an item more scratch proof. What brand and type would you recommend?

I've tried 3D Crystal Lacquer and embossing powder and know that these two scratch easily. I've read that Diamond Glaze can give people nightmares with their bubbles, so I steer clear away from that too.

Help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Online store of handmade goodness: Tiny Hands Jewelry
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010 02:37:21 PM »

I heard (more like read) Diane B. say that clear polyurethane would work well to make an item more scratch proof. What brand and type would you recommend?

Well, polymer clayers like the brand Varathane (now by Rustoleum), and the indoor gloss version has something special called IPN (interpenetrating network) too, as well as being UV-resistant to avoid later yellowing from UV light or heat.  (The same product is probably being re-bottled these days under the Studio by Sculpey gloss finish name, but would be more expensive of course.)
Clear acrylic fingernail polishes are tough too.
Or for a thinner finish that isn't UV-resistant, floor polishes like Future or Mop'N Glo are also tough.

I've tried 3D Crystal Lacquer and embossing powder and know that these two scratch easily. I've read that Diamond Glaze can give people nightmares with their bubbles, so I steer clear away from that too.

Any polyurethanes (from the hardware store, and sometimes rebottled at art/craft stores) or those things just mentioned though will be better than any of the "white glue" based finishes (including the dimensional ones like Diamond Glaze or 3D Crystal Lacquer, etc) or than clear embossing powders, gloss acrylic mediums, etc.

Polyurethanes are also often used as a final coat to create stronger finishes over epoxy resin items (like Envirotex Lite, Easy Cast, etc), decoupaged items, Diamond Glazed areas, etc., as well as just being used alone.

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010 08:59:31 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010 10:58:09 PM »

Envirotex Lite makes a decent epoxy resin/glaze/whatever. I've actually seen it self-heal a few minor scratches on things I've made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.ets y.com >>
mei
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010 10:27:17 PM »

Well, polymer clayers like the brand Varathane (now by Rustoleum), and the indoor gloss version has something special called IPN (interpenetrating network) too, as well as being UV-resistant to avoid later yellowing from UV light or heat.  (The same product is probably being re-bottled these days under the Studio by Sculpey gloss finish name, but would be more expensive of course.)
Clear acrylic fingernail polishes are tough too.
Or for a thinner finish that isn't UV-resistant, floor polishes like Future or Mop'N Glo are also tough.

Any polyurethanes (from the hardware store, and sometimes rebottled at art/craft stores) or those things just mentioned though will be better than any of the "white glue" based finishes (including the dimensional ones like Diamond Glaze or 3D Crystal Lacquer, etc) or than clear embossing powders, gloss acrylic mediums, etc.

Polyurethanes are also often used as a final coat to create stronger finishes over epoxy resin items (like Envirotex Lite, Easy Cast, etc), decoupaged items, Diamond Glazed areas, etc., as well as just being used alone.

Diane B.

Thanks Diane!
I tried using the varathane polyurethane you recommended. I've let it sit for a little over 2 days now with 2 coats of the polyurethane. When I run my fingernails lightly across the surface, however, it scratches it terribly Sad Am I not doing something right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010 12:21:18 PM »

I tried using the varathane polyurethane you recommended. I've let it sit for a little over 2 days now with 2 coats of the polyurethane. When I run my fingernails lightly across the surface, however, it scratches it terribly  Am I not doing something right?

That doesn't sound right at all!  Did you perhaps not get the indoor version (water-based?)...and btw, what material is it that you're coating?
Or perhaps your environment is very humid or cold? (in which case many finishes could take longer to dry completely).  Or did you maybe not wait for the first coat to dry thoroughly before adding the second coat?  

You can put it back into the oven at around 225-250 for about 5-10 minutes if you want though, which will further "harden" any similar finish (including the floor polishes).  This is called "rebaking" the finish when the item is polymer clay, and you can read more about it if you want on my Baking page or Finishes page.  If your item is made from something that can't go into the oven at that temp, then just wait a few more days (hopefully in a warm, dry, area), or perhaps just apply some heat to the surface with a hair dryer or something.

Report back!
Diane B.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010 12:24:17 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
mei
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010 12:55:43 PM »

I got the interior water-based type. On the instructions on the can, it says it'll work best above 50 degrees fahrenheit and below 90 degrees f. My room temperature is 70 degrees fahrenheit and I would say that there's a good balance of coldness and humidity - kind of in the middle. But technically I can't say for sure.

It says to recoat only after 2 hours when the first layer has dried and feels hard, which is how I did mine.
It also says that you can subject the item to light use after 24 hours, but for normal use, you'll have to wait 3 days. It's almost been three days for me and it seems to take to scratches a little better now. When I apply some pressure with my fingernail and drag it across lightly, it seems more resistant than it did 1-2 days ago!

I guess that since it doesn't say that it's flammable, I'll take your advice and try to heat it in my toaster over for a bit. I hope it works Smiley

I'm using this on shrinky dinks, the inkjet type.
I'll work on it and let you know what I find out!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010 01:34:26 PM by mei » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mei
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010 03:33:03 PM »

I put my item in my toaster oven for 5 minutes at 200 degrees f as stated here: http://www.polyclay.com/varathane.htm

When it came out, I let it cool and tested a scratch with my fingernail on the surface. It still created marks Sad Don't think that worked! Also, as of today, it should be day 5 or 6 of being dried. No difference, still scratches.

After I baked it for a bit, the existing scratches that were on the surface was supposed to make them disappear (polyclay.com mentioned minute brush marks disappearing, so maybe scratches are too deep?) but they were still there.

Failed experiment it looks like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandracb
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010 06:57:12 PM »

Diane: you seem very knowledgeable in this topic!  You mentioned baking wax covered polymer clay, can you also bake resin? I have a bunch of items that i've waxed but wanted to seal it in so to speak. Can you bake that too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mei
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010 07:06:57 PM »

I've read that you should never bake resin because doing so will release very toxic fumes. I've read one person say she actually bakes it all the time though, but you have to do it at a low enough temperature so as not to burn the resin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandracb
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010 08:11:46 PM »

I've read that you should never bake resin because doing so will release very toxic fumes. I've read one person say she actually bakes it all the time though, but you have to do it at a low enough temperature so as not to burn the resin.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, i've been too afraid to bake it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anjelica Huston on Her Mother
Doris Kearns Goodwin: What Are You Reading?
Vanessa Gezari: What Are You Reading?
Tell Me Why: Creative Writing
The Long Shadow by David Reynolds
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...