A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: **Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes from Ticketmaster this month!  Enter now through MAY 20.  Good luck, Craftsters!!
Total Members: 309,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scratch Resistant Sealant?  (Read 2747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010 10:42:43 AM »

It still created marks  Don't think that worked! Also, as of today, it should be day 5 or 6 of being dried. No difference, still scratches.

Well, 200 F for 5 minutes is a shorter time and lower temp than usually used but it's possible that Sarajane's page on it was written long ago and never updated?  You could at least try 225-250 for 10-15 min if you are using an oven thermometer.

Otherwise, I don't know what's going on.  I suppose it's possible that the shrink plastic, or something you used on top of it, was not water-based so is reacting with the plastics or not itself drying.  I know mostly about using it on polymer clay or on some of the mica or real-metal powders and other things we sometimes use on polymer clay.

You mentioned baking wax covered polymer clay, can you also bake resin? I have a bunch of items that i've waxed but wanted to seal it in so to speak. Can you bake that too?

sandracb, I'm not sure which thing you're referring to by "wax."  I don't remember saying that actual waxes could be heated on baked clay, though those aren't used that frequently on polymer clay.  When they are, I suppose that the heating would just melt them a bit and make them smoother, but waxes will never be glossy clear finishes.  Let me know where you saw that so I can be reminded, and see just what I was talking about.

As for "baking" resin, that usually isn't advisable because too much heat will yellow most clear resins (UV light will do the same).  (They can be coated with a UV resistant polyurethane though.) 
The "wax" you used on the resin was part of buffing it, or what?

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
guerra_marta
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010 11:08:46 AM »

I saw this thread and maybe I can find an answer about the ideal resin to apply on rubber surface. It's been 1 year I am researching on this!!!

I want to paint on a piece of rubber and I already found a primer to sand the material. What I need to know is I paint on the rubber and after (protection). It needs to be FLEXIBLE SO IT WONT CRACK!!!

I would also like to find a resin that is flexible BUT ALSO supports a 400F temperature for 20 seconds (So I Can use in Sublimation process (using transfer paper and a Heat press).

Can you name the products that I can start my tests?

Any recommendation would help.

TKSSS!!!

Marta
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot Your First Movie
How to Make Your First Movie: Using Proper Gear
How to Make Your First Movie: Audio
How to Make Your First Movie: Lighting
How to Cast Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug
Road Trip!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...