A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Junk to Art for Annoying neighbour  (Read 62304 times)
Tags for this thread: tree , upcycle , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KatyMai

Creator of my own little world....

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2010 11:25:25 AM »

I live in a ground floor apartment and we share the front door and small passageway with the upstairs tennant. He is one of these people who will never pick up their mail, we end up with big piles of it in the passageway for ages and ages. Its only in a neat pile because i sort it out every now and then throw out all of the junk mail and pile up all of his mail next to his door, if i didnt do this then the passageway would be a mess all the time. Its also a very boring passageway with blank walls with plaster chipping off and i wanted a way to cheer it up a bit. He has a hell of a temper, as we often hear through the rather thin ceilings so not wanting to say anything to him about the mail problem i tried to think of another idea, that is when i saw these posts. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=343120.0 and http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=246766.0 . Pictures made from junk mail, perfect! I know he probably wont catch onto the irony, but i decided to give it a go anyway and here are the pictures.

Getting started -

Just a tip, if you ever want to make one of these, use bigger strips than i did, it took forever! The orange you see is double sided sticky tape, thats how i decided to attach the strips.

Nearly done -

All trimmed up -

To keep with the irony idea i decided to choose a picture that symbolises recycling…

The finished piece -

Its a shame he wont understand what the piece is about, but for me every time he sees it, it is the same as me sticking my tongue out at him for being such a lazy and messy neighbour!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
molly43
Stay At Home Crafter/Mom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010 11:53:47 AM »

Good for you! Hope your lazy neighbor at least appreciates your effort even if he has no idea where the paper came from. This is wonderful and creative way to do something positive. Sure it made you feel good! It is also beautiful. Great work!

Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Araminta
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010 12:02:17 PM »

Crafty irony. love it!

I love how it looks too, me thinks I might have to have a go Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iuliasuavis
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010 12:05:48 PM »

I think it looks so great! It is really beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-iuliasuavis
I am a library school student- follow me to hear about books and other fun-related things!
http://twitter.com/iuliasuavis
sum1smuma
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010 12:08:09 PM »

Boy you have patience! And self control! I would have blasted him for being so inconsiderate but you turned it into a positive and creative experience! On top of everything this turned out so incredibly pretty. You have my respect and creative admiration. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010 12:28:18 PM »

That's beautiful.  I'm not sure wider strips would have looked as nice so I'm glad you have the patience of a saint. 

You know how when you see art out in public, there will be a little sign sometimes under it explaining it?  I think you should do that for your piece.  With your gift of subtlety, I'm sure you could word it in a way that would just leave him wondering if the junk mail mentioned was his rather than feeling confronted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

librarylover
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010 12:35:20 PM »

A great way to turn something negative into something positive! Beautiful imagery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010 12:37:39 PM »

I think you got the last laugh on this one...you took the high road and created something beautiful...so what if he doesn't get the hint...you are the one who gained from this...maybe the crafty gods will figure out a way to exact a punishment for him...

In the meantime, his junk mail is your art--lovely work... simply a nice piece and your instructions are also appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xperimentl
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010 12:59:35 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful and should bring a smile even to a rude neighbor's face.  Perhaps with a little beauty in his life, he'll decide to change.  He might even feel guilty leaving a pile of mail that distracts from your wonderful art piece.  We can dream, can't we?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
mnmcoffee
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010 02:26:15 PM »

i love this- its so simple but so beautiful. i may just have to give this a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<333
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tidy Up Your Images in Photoshop
How to Create a gallery image Part 1/2
How to fix reflection in xmas balls in Photoshop
How to Create a composite in Photoshop
How to Use the Deep blue Photoshop effect
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...