A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My 1st and 2nd Drops!  (Read 4012 times)
Tags for this thread: bunny , bear , stuffie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2010 08:55:02 AM »

So I recently made two little pairs of toys for the toy society, a group that encourages people to make handmade toys and leave them in public for children to find.  I love the concept, and had a great time doing this.  I'd highly encourage more people to join, what have you got to lose?

My first attempt at making a "real" toy with limbs failed miserably.  so i decided to stick with what i know- embroidery!
I made these with a "wee wonderfuls"  freebie pattern, i just embellished their outfits a little bit to make each one unique.  I also used vintage fabric, embroidery floss and poly-fill fiber.

here they are:

This is the back of the bunnies.  (For some reason I didn't get a pic of the back of the bears, i used a colorful, striped denim for them)

This is one of the places I left them to be found-

For more info, please feel free to visit my post about it.
http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/2010/04/join-toy-society.html
Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010 09:13:27 AM »

Too cute. And I love the idea of leaving them around!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010 09:29:15 AM »

I love your sweet toys!  I would worry though, that in today's paranoid world, parents wouldn't allow their children to actually take them home.  I even know a few people who have acted squemish about the things I get from Craftster because, " you don't really know those people or how they live".  I hope I'm wrong and would love to get involved in the toy society if the toys are actually taken and used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MamaCatScrap

"Kid, you'll move mountains."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010 09:30:18 AM »

What a great idea, love it!  And your animals came out adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

30/100 projects in 2010

Will gladly pay or swap for a poppet!!  PM me if interested!
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010 09:51:28 AM »

These are so adorable. Your stitching is great and I really like the back fabric!

This is such a cool idea. I'm sure a very lucky child was thrilled to receive your thoughtful treat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
PinkChick
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010 10:23:53 AM »

Very cute toys-and I love the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live Every Moment, Laugh Every Day, Love Beyond Words!
Zodia
Story Builder Toys

www.storybuildertoys.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010 11:03:30 AM »

I've heard about the toy society before and thought it was a cool idea. It's really fun to see the things people are actually making for it. Very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website Story Builder Toys
Follow me on Twitter
Knitwithswords
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010 12:50:43 PM »

I love them! Sadly I know what you mean about parents being concerned...I left a few at the state park where I volunteered and I had to rescue them out of the trash because rangers had completley thrown them away  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010 01:33:06 PM »

I have been thinking about your post all morning, and after google-ing it I joined. I can't wait to get crafting. Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
gamemom42

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010 02:30:54 PM »

I've been unable to get this off my mind all day.  I decided to quit being so cynical and I joined!  I'm going to make drops and assume that they will find their way to the children they were intended for.  I'm not going to even allow myself to think differently.  I used to be such an optimist, and re-reading my post above saddened me.  Thanks for sharing this, I needed it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crossstitchtycoon
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010 08:21:16 PM »

I agree, what a brill idea. The wees came out great too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sayraphim
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010 08:51:49 PM »

These guys are awesome, you should be very pleased! And I can imagine how thrilled whoever picks them up will be.

For those who don't know, the Toy Society's website is here http://thetoysociety.blogspot.com/

There's nothing too it. Sign up, make a toy, drop it somewhere and leave, knowing that you'll brighten someone's day unimaginably. In a world that seems so cynical, heartless and mass produced, dropping a toy is leaving a stranger a little handmade ray of sunshine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitknitknitknitkni tknitknitknitknitkn itknitknit... and rest
www.sayraphimlothia n.com
www.sayraphim.etsy. com
www.page63.blogspot .com
lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010 11:50:22 PM »

I haven't ever heard of this society before, but darnit, I joined! I'm recently learning how to use a sewing machine, so I think it will be fun to make some simple toys to drop. I love this idea and can't wait to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxyBlue
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010 05:26:57 AM »

I absolutely adore these!!! WOW!! I love things that bring me back to the innocence of my childhood...and these definitely do! Amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
xperimentl
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010 08:20:05 AM »

Pat yourself on the back for starting a trend.  This is too cool. Congratulations on recruiting new Craftsters to the movement.  I love your bunnies and bears, but if I found them I would want to keep them for myself.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
mafiosagrrl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010 09:46:56 AM »

Thank you so much!

Thank you Sayaphim for including the link, I totally forgot to do that in my original post.

It makes me super happy that other people are going to make toys now!  That was the whole reason that I put it on here and my blog. 

Trust me, I've always been a very cynical person but over the last few years I've found myself changing... for the better.  With this, I figured- if everyone was paranoid, no one would do anything and the world would just be even worse.  So, I'm using this as an opportunity to turn over a new, more positive leaf.

As for the "innocence" factor that's what I really love about it!  Kids find joy in so much, so even though my toys are simple I know that they will be loved!  Kids are great like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010 10:21:56 AM »

It makes me super happy that other people are going to make toys now!  That was the whole reason that I put it on here and my blog. 

I am glad you said that. I am so excited about this I got my mom on board. She is so into it she is going to borrow my camera so she can take pictures of her toys and drops. We even shared some simple softie patterns. like this frog (my favorite) http://www.purlbee.com/purl-frog/

And this owl (my moms fav) http://www.lollychops.com/lollychops/2008/11/abraham-owl.html

Then I wanted to get on to tell you what you have started but I didn't want to take the thread away from your super cute toys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.najadruva.com
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010 02:54:24 PM »

I really love the idea that when people do find the "drops" that they will go onto the website and be like "Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I found this really fantabulous doll here _________________. I really appreciate the hardwork put forth by the maker, and would love to get involved in the future!" Or something along those lines. Though obviously not everyone does such, but it is just nice to see that people actually do appreciate them, and you know, that they don't just end up in the trash or whatnot.
I have over a dozen black apple dolls that I should send with my little sister on her school trip in a couple of weeks. I think she is hitting up England, France, Germany, and Amsterdam... Hmmmmm...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wendyloo
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010 01:03:34 PM »

I just googled toy society and after reading on their website for like 2 minutes...I'm crying like a rainy day. I'm thinking very seriously about joining. I have the same skepticism gamemom42 has, but I'm going to follow her lead and be an optimist!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamemom42

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010 01:27:57 PM »

I'm glad you're joining in! I'm going to share this story for anyone who cares to read it.

My Dad was a very gruff, kind of unfriendly man who believed in no higher power and had very few kind words for the people in his life.  He hid a heart of gold beneath that hard exterior.  Whenever we saw a beggar who was "blind" or "lame", we always gave them money.  I asked him once what would happen if they were faking it.  He looked me in the eye and quietly said the most important words anyone ever said to me.  He said it really didn't matter if they were faking or not.  He said , " always do the right thing and give.  It's none of your business what happens on the other side of that act of charity.  All you have to concern yourself with are your own actions.  If those people are faking, it doesn't change the good you've done in any way".  I guess I had kind of forgotten that lesson.  I am so grateful for this chance to remember it and do the right thing.

Also; I mentioned this to my best friend who plans to incorporate it into her church's service project for the summer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mafiosagrrl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010 07:16:17 PM »

man oh man!  you guys are making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  i love that it's spreading...yay for the toys.  together we'll be making lots of little kids happy  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010 07:14:47 PM »

Nice embroidery work!  E.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mafiosagrrl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010 10:15:49 AM »

Thank you!

I have great news guys!!  i know that everyone was concerned about whether or not they would actually get into the hands of a child... I opened my e-mail yesterday to find this-

It looks like a pair of the toys have a good home.  They live with a wee 2 year old who seems to like them very much.  So, I guess Bunny and Bear don't have it too bad after all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010 10:29:57 AM »

that is awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.najadruva.com
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010 12:22:39 PM »

awesome--that post made my day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamemom42

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010 02:00:01 PM »

Oh Wow, it is so cool that the person whose child got those toys took time to send that to you.  If an occasional unthinking park ranger or such throws a toy away,  its still worth the effort knowing that most of the toys probably find friendly farm toy families to live with like Bear and Bunny did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010 02:27:19 PM »

gamemom42--thanks for sharing your father's wise words...my dad had the exact sentiment...once you give a gift, it is no longer yours...if the recipient throws it away, gives it away, etc., you have to be content in knowing that YOU gave...it would be hard to walk away leaving such cute things, but, just seeing that one pic made it worth it!

You guys should also check out the stuff on Maremare's Kindness craftalong for other ideas of how to randomly do nice things...I know it has helped my outlook to work with her and also kittykill on attitude improvement through helping others...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wendyloo
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010 10:02:32 PM »

I'm glad you're joining in! I'm going to share this story for anyone who cares to read it.

My Dad was a very gruff, kind of unfriendly man who believed in no higher power and had very few kind words for the people in his life.  He hid a heart of gold beneath that hard exterior.  Whenever we saw a beggar who was "blind" or "lame", we always gave them money.  I asked him once what would happen if they were faking it.  He looked me in the eye and quietly said the most important words anyone ever said to me.  He said it really didn't matter if they were faking or not.  He said , " always do the right thing and give.  It's none of your business what happens on the other side of that act of charity.  All you have to concern yourself with are your own actions.  If those people are faking, it doesn't change the good you've done in any way".  I guess I had kind of forgotten that lesson.  I am so grateful for this chance to remember it and do the right thing.

Also; I mentioned this to my best friend who plans to incorporate it into her church's service project for the summer!

Thank you so much for posting that!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiltcreations
Mom Lady, Finder of lost toys and Ex-but-wanna-be-born-again Artist

voices in my head? yes, but they have good ideas

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010 06:58:14 AM »

Not only are they adorable - the whole thing is just fantastic! I think I may need to look into this...thanks for leaving the link Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mafiosagrrl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010 01:12:44 PM »

thanks, you should really do a drop.  it's a lot of fun and it's probably something your kids would get excited about too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tailte
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010 06:15:49 PM »

Adorable toys! I bet whoever finds them will love them. I joined the toy society about a year ago, but I haven't made any drops yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://overaway.blogspot.com
It's about art, craft and other miscellaneous occurrences.

My cooking blog: http://meri-somethingsweet.blogspot.com
Angel3rd
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010 03:22:53 PM »

I just joined the toy society andI live in a small towns where jobs and happiness seem to be very scarse, so Bc of all the posts, I'm gonna get all my firends and my church in on this! Thank you all for reminding me why god gave us the gift of giving and making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chely
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010 09:14:11 AM »

Awww, this is so great! I love that you got a picture back of your little guys in their new home! That is seriously a cool little farm they moved to. I'm going to sign up, too. This is going to be fun! Thanks so much for sharing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: http://SeeDollyRun.blogspot.com

You're about as funny as a crotch--Archie Bunker
Ekioart
Queen of Procrastination

Working on it....No Really, I am......sorta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010 07:04:34 PM »

Amazing! Now I know what to do with all my boys creative creatures they want me to make. Make them and share!

Yours are adorable and I'm very glad to see someone found them and loves them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm bringing sexy back, I think I dropped it somewhere between the donut shop and the Cheesecake Factory.

My etsy shop
http://Ekioart.etsy.com
My Wists!
http://www.wists.com/Ekioart
I blather on about stuff here.
http://ekioart.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Glass Blowing
Is Home Glass Blowing Possible
Is Glass Blowing School Necessary to Learn Glass Blowing Art
How to Choose Glass Supplies for Glass Blowing
How to Choose a Glass Blowing Kit
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...