A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheery ribbon flower bouquet (Pic heavy)  (Read 1393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

modgeek
« on: April 04, 2010 11:22:43 PM »

(Please excuse my laptop cord. For whatever reason, my laptop seemed an ideal spot to photograph this. Cheesy)
Also, I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, and thought this would be the best fit.

A few weeks ago, a close family friend's oldest daughter died unexpectedly and it really affected her. I was away at college (like most events that have happened), but my mom was there for her and made her some items using photos of her daughter. I wanted to do something for her to cheer her up, but didn't have any ideas. I was looking through my books, and found a ribbon book reprinted from the '20s and remembered that it had flowers in it and thought of making her a cheery spring bouquet. She likes to garden (and does it everyday, even during humid summers) and is going to make a memorial garden for her daughter. My mom's going to give her the flowers this week, since I'm going back to college.

Anywho, I made the pink roses using 1.5" wide satin ribbon. I made the roses using the instructions in the book "Old Fashioned Ribbon Art: Ideas and Designs for Accessories and Decorations.". For me, each one took about 1 hour from start to finish.

The orange flowers have the look of marigolds and I kind of made their construction up. They're just gathered, spiraled, and stitched together.

The yellow flowers were inspired by evening primroses. (I also made this design up). I used 2 pieces of 5/8" wide ribbon about 4-5 inches long for each flower and knotted the ribbon twice in the middle and formed petals by stitching the ribbon together.

For the stems, I just used pipe cleaners. They were easy to attach to the yellow flowers, but I had to use about 3 for each rose to stabilize them. I sewed them on to the orange flowers. I stuck the flowers in a Styrofoam base and put gift shred on top for the grass. I did wrap a pipe cleaner around the flowers to stabilize them more, and had to add a pretty ribbon because they were still wanting to fall over.

C & C appreciated! (Please be nice though, it's my first project post! I've been meaning to post something for a while, but decided to do this before hitting the books again. Sad)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010 11:38:30 AM by modgeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chicanapunk84
I like my vodka like I like my men, hard and cheap!

Craft or dye!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010 01:27:30 AM »

Love it! So creative and cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They'll say just let her crash and burn she'll learn
The attention just encourages her
Rorbot
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010 08:11:58 PM »

Those are really beautiful, and that was a really, really sweet thing of you to do. Its really nice of you to let your friend know you are thinking of her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paper Shred Jane
Freelancer, Crafter Hobbyist

Hello, fella craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010 10:37:00 AM »

Wow, very nice and vibrant, I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are several crafts you can do with paper shredder shreds, use it to stuff your creations or for paper dolls...
nelle831
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010 02:32:30 PM »

What kind of ribbon did you use the for Marigold flowers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
modgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010 01:36:27 PM »

What kind of ribbon did you use the for Marigold flowers?

I used 5/8" satin ribbon for the Marigolds. Thanks for the comments! I love that color combo because it's so bright and cheery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Marbled Easter Eggs
How to Make Golden Glitter Easter Eggs
How to Make Lace Easter Eggs
How to Make Silk Tie Dyed Easter Eggs
Gabby_Giffords_Sizzle_Lock_MM
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...