A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bachelorette Party Lace Up Fabric Corset Invites - Advice?  (Read 1631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HornSister
« on: March 31, 2010 01:43:35 PM »

My b.f.f. is getting married in June (of this year) and asked me to throw her a small bachelorette party (or hen do, or whatever). She has only a few people she'd like to invite, which means a maximum of 6 invitations if I make one extra for a memory book (which I will, of course). I had no idea what I could do for my alterna-pin-up princess and was horrified with the commercial bachelorette party invites on the market. So I pushed it to the back of my mind and focused on other issues. I knew she wouldn't want a cake shaped like a man's body part, I remembered her saying so at a co-worker's birthday years ago. But a pinata seemed like a good alternative way to include the easy laugh factor (plus they're easy to make). So for the cake I decided I'll do a corset cake. Cute, sexy, classy, and kind of retro (like her) with just enough cheeseball factor to make her smile.

So I'm going through all these images of pre-made boring invites and I come across one with a drawing of a corset on it, and I think, "Hmm, that's cute and it'll match the cake! I could even buy her a corset as a gift since she refuses to do a bridal shower and I want to get a gift just for her along with the generic couple gift". But of course a silly drawing of a corset on a plain old card would be too boring and easy, right? So here's my plan:

Head to the thrift store and pick up something made of satiny and bright or printed I can cut up into little pieces.

Stop at the craft store and grab a pack of tiny little grommets or some kind of ribbon with grommets or holes already in it, along with some skinny ribbon in a coordinating color and some fusible interfacing.   

Make cards shaped like hourglasses out of plain cardstock and use the fabric to make two nearly-halves of a corset. (Glued or sewn onto the cardstock at the outer left and right edges)

Plant a skinnier cardstock hourglass (in a different color maybe?) in between the fabric and card and write the party details on it.

Use the grommets or holes or whatever and skinny ribbon to lace up the fabric corset.

Include a bit of space at the top to write "Untie Me" where it can be seen right away.

Inside I'd like to write something like "Rebekah is tying the knot! (line break) Help her cut loose and party at her bachelorette party thursday june 10th. meet at my house for drinks, treats, games and karaoke, followed by a bar crawl in the neighborhood. wear something sparkly or outrageous to celebrate the night in style!"

What do you guys think? Will it work? Am I crazy? I couldn't find an example of anything even close to what I'm planning anywhere on the web. You're my experts. Advice??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmtome
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010 09:25:18 AM »

I am sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I think that you are on track to have a fabulous party.  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Manual Focus Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set ISO Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Format Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Flash Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...