A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A child-sized pool filled with beans - what to do with the beans?  (Read 705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkitzoLeezra
« on: April 04, 2010 01:12:51 PM »

My volunteer group will have a child-sized pool of beans at an activity fair but we hate to think of tossing the beans afterward so hoping you wonderful Craftsters will suggest some good ideas.
Considering small sewn bean-filled toss bags but not sure if they beans will decompose or be okay?
Please help us with some alternate uses!
Many thanks in advance!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

twistedbeader
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010 04:27:07 PM »

so you want to make something for the children? Or something else.What kind of beans? Can they be made into hot cold packs? You could sell them as a fundraiser for next years fair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life with out beads is a sad life indeed
My soap is so awsome I can wash anything! -sung as this book is so awesome from Harry and the Potters

Wist- http://www.wists.com/twistedbeader
AM_Carmody
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010 07:52:59 PM »

Hot/cold packs and hacky sacks are what come to mind first.

There's a Mexican toy one of my cousins used to have called "rain stick". Basically it's just a hardened hollow cane with beans inside - you flip it on its other end, causing the beans to fall down and create a rain-like sound. Wish I could find a tutorial for that ...

But if all else fails, chilli.

Also, what kind of beans are we talking about? And are they going to be soaked? That'd pretty much ruin any chance they have at being craft material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010 09:03:47 PM »

fill the pool with water, soak 'em and have a bean supper fundraiser! Wink

you can sprout/grow them and have a H - U - G- E  Farm Sale or U-Pick
Beans can be harvested after 55 days, so you could have a couple crops

the beanbag/hackey sack idea is good too, beans absorb moisture, so keep them someplace dry or else they'll get soft & moldy.

that being said, the beans could be used as a doll body/sock monkey filler.

rain stick - use a piece of pvc pipe 18 - 24", drill random screws into the pipe (use power drill) - more screws, more "rain" sound - glue a pvc pipe cap on one end, put in some beans, glue a cap on the other end.You can use markers & decorate the rain stick. - sell them as a fundraiser item!

make a big mural, you can paint the beans in bright colours after - kinda like skittles!
-they make a nice texture

cover stuff with them - like a mirror frame, picture frames, keepsake box, glass jars - the dash of your car! Smiley  paint them with acrylic/tole paints or spray paint - to make them shiny and protected use clear acrylic spray

Have Fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010 11:25:36 AM »

Those are great ideas, THANKS!
Thinking the beans will be pinto.  We hate the idea of tossing them in the trash after the fun day and receptive to any recycling ideas, be it for children or otherwise.  
Appreciate your time and thought!

Edit: The kids really enjoyed filling socks with beans, using their hands or funnels.  Afterwards, we donated both the beans and pool to our local children's museum. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010 09:02:45 PM by SkitzoLeezra - Reason: update » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birchbox Man: Photographer Douglas Friedman
Dinner Party: The Sartorialist for AOL On
Best Photographs of Micro World Announced
5 Tips to Taking Successful Selfies
Steve McCurry: The Sartorialist for AOL On
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...