A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double Pointed Needle (DPN) Questions  (Read 5275 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

keston
knit, spin, or die!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005 09:18:37 PM »

yeah it should work out fine using the 4's ( i do that a bunch ) if you're a loose knitter it will work even better.  but see how it goes, if it looks too tight, go for the 5's.  i think it shold be fine though   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005 10:18:16 PM »

or if you do end up needing one more, go to a thrift shop.
my locals ones always seem to have zillions of single dpns. You just need one of those plastic rectangles with the holes in (from a craft shop) to find the right size needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005 06:03:02 AM »

the only place you might run into (a little bit of) trouble is if the pattern starts having instructions for specific needles (on each needle, k2 tog at beginning or something).  Then you just need to 'translate' that into what it should be for your 4 needle situation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005 06:19:35 AM »

Or, picking up on Melidomi's point, you could just use a 5th dpn of a slightly larger or smaller size, if you have one. It won't make any difference in your knitting - any slight variation in stitch size would settle out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizardloo
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005 07:24:09 PM »

I've been looking around this site, but can't seem to find the answer to my question.... maybe i'm the only one that can't do this!

i can do 2x2 ribs perfectly on flat needles, no problems at all!  But i've been trying to learn how to use dpn, and for some reason i CAN NOT 2x2 rib, or actually rib at all.  I've been casting on different numbers divisible by 4 to see what i'm doing wrong, but i cannot figure it out!  The first round is fine, i start with 2 knits and end with 2 purls, but when i get to starting the second round, my stitching says it's time to purl.  Is there something about dpns i don't know?  Do i purl there, or knit??  I've tried both, but i'm still not getting a rib pattern! 

Can anyone help?!?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005 07:55:14 PM by lizardloo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005 08:14:06 PM »

I'm tired so hopefully this will be understandable.  When you use dpn's, if you do plain knit rows it turns out stockinette and when you do 1 row knit, 1 row purl, it turns out garter stitch.  The circle makes it so you knit on the right side of the work every time instead of working on the wrong side every other row.  So maybe if you do the reverse of what you think you should do it'll work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizardloo
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005 09:06:44 PM »

so instead of starting with 2K i should start with 2P?  sadly i've tried this too, and when i get ready to do the second row.....it says i should be K instead of P once again......

Thanks though...  I'm starting to think that i just shouldn't knit in the round...i've never heard of anyone else having this problem!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annkari
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2005 02:37:36 AM »

I'm starting to think that i just shouldn't knit in the round...i've never heard of anyone else having this problem!!

No! Don't give up yet!  Smiley

When you do 2x2 ribbing with flat knitting, you follow this pattern:

cast on a multiple of 4 stitches
row 1: * knit two stitches, purl two stitches, repeat from *
row 2: * knit two stitches, purl two stitches, repeat from *

So the stitches that you knit in row 1 are purled in row 2, and vice versa.

Now, when knitting in the round, you are always working on the right side (or outside). Therefore you have to knit the same stitches in row 2 that you knit in row 1.

To do that, you can follow the exact same pattern as above. Just make sure to cast on a multiple of four stitches. Then the first two stitches of every round will be knit stitches, and the last two will be purl stitches, and you'll get a nice 2x2 ribbing pattern.

If it still doesn't work out for you, maybe you could post a picture of your knitting? Sometimes it's easier to see what went wrong than to find out through explanations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizardloo
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2005 10:14:02 AM »

See i know to follow the pattern, but when i get back to start the next round my knitting says i should be purling.........so do i just force it to knit?  If so that's going to be such a huge pain. 

When the camera gets working i'll show what i've done.  If i just knit regular the whole way around for awhile all my v's are on the outside so i don't think i'm going inside out either...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2005 10:55:47 AM »

I'm glad the gal above me kinda tried to clear up what I was saying last night.  If you knit all the way around, like you said, you get V's.  BUT if you knit for like 10 rows on straight needles, your work is going to look like something like this _-_-_.  To get it to look all like V's on straight needles, you have to purl every other row, but you don't have to do that on straight needles.   So yes, try to force yourself to knit when you think you should be purling and vice versa for a couple rows and see if it works out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
‘Top Chef’ Host Perfects Stir Fry
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup (Tom Kha Gai) Recipe
Filipino Dinner Roll Recipe (Pandesal)
Cooking With Miso
Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...