A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mario cake!  (Read 1361 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluffypants
« on: April 03, 2010 07:17:14 PM »

I made this cake in the fall for a coworker's nephew's 5th birthday party. He had a Mario-esque party out at a farm in town. It was great for the kids - the farm had this "Pumpkinfest" going on, so they had all sorts of fun activities... followed up with apple cider, hot chocolate, chili, hot dogs, soup and cake! Yum!

Without further ado, I present the cake! It's not nearly "clean" as I hoped it would be, since I ended up in a bit of a rush at the end. The figures are made with colour flow, the whole cake is covered in marshmallow fondant. The bottom two tiers are an amazing "perfectly chocolate" cake recipe from Hershey's (SO good) and the hat is made of Rice Krispies treats. Smiley

Thanks for looking! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShiningStar
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010 07:49:56 PM »

That cake is awesome.  I would of loved to see the look on everybody's face when they first saw that cake. How did everyone like it?  How long did it take from idea to cake?  I'm going to have to try that Hershey's recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
Muria
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010 08:33:48 PM »

Cool cake!  Is it hard to get it to balance like that? I'd be totally paranoid that it was going to fall over (or that the top layer would slide off)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
fluffypants
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010 08:38:46 PM »

Thanks ShiningStar! The kids thought it was pretty great. Right away they were pulling off their favourite characters asking "can we eat these?!" The adults loved it, and I had a few people asking if I could make cakes for their kids. Here's hoping some of them get in touch with me this year. Smiley

I was brainstorming ideas here and there for awhile, but once it actually got set in motion, the cake probably took about 8-10 hours... that's including baking, making fondant, etc. I'm working on getting faster.... I want to be able to pump these out in half that time, hehe. Cheesy

Muria - it wasn't too difficult to get off balance, I supported it pretty well on the inside with straws and skewers, and between the layers with pieces of illustration board wrapped in wax paper. I frosted everything together pretty solid. I did have one mishap, where the top two tiers slid off as I was carrying it to the car, (luckily I had the whole cake in a big box) but I rescued them and stuck them on and they survived the rest of the trip to the farm. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010 11:35:35 PM »

Thats awesome !!!! Id never heard of color flow before.. off to google it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010 12:51:08 AM »

Jackson is luckiest kid alive to EVER live. Seriously. That cake is so pro, especially since you did all of those characters by hand AND they're edible. Crazy awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010 08:15:26 AM »

That looks great! And I know it tastes good, because the "Perfectly Chocolate" is my go-to cupcake recipe  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
sum1smuma
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010 08:33:15 AM »

I can't wait to show my son this! He We have just discovered the everlasting coolness of Mario and his brother Luigi. Now the whole house is obsessed. This looks so amazing! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
fluffypants
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010 07:41:21 PM »

Thank you all for the kind words! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Cross Cable Pattern Part 1/4
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 2/9
How to Crochet a Cross Cable Pattern Part 3/4
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 3/9
How to Crochet a Cross Cable Pattern Part 4/4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...