A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dotees - Mini Art Dolls - Round 9 Send Out 4/19/10  (Read 25527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2010 11:52:31 AM »

I have several of the push molds and love them. I've found them at JoAnns, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby. I just use white sculpty, bake it off, and them paint it with acrylic craft paint (you know, the stuff that's 68c a tube). The trick is to spray the face with sealer after you paint it so that the colors don't chip or rub off over time. You can get the spray sealer in the locked case of any craft store (or Home Depot...) near the spray paint. For most people, a bottle will last FOREVER.

And all the new Dotees are wonderful!! I'd love any of them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2010 11:56:52 AM »

oh poo--I was just at Joann's over lunch and forgot to go to the clay aisle!! But, now I have an excuse to go tonight and also look for the sealer and paints! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
mamarose22
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2010 01:05:50 PM »

My gosh, I love these dotees.  They are all cute and fantastic.  I love the leaf dotee, the monkeys, the wings on the butterfly are so colorful and I love the hair on that doll-face one.
I also have a push mold.  My daughter was fiddling around with some sculpy a while back and gave me her leftovers.  I thought, "what can I do with it"?  So I bought the mold, but it was for smaller faces.  I used it a couple of times using the sculpy and baking it.  I guess I should try the paper clay. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2010 01:54:58 PM »

Do you think homemade paper pulp (recycled papers, shredded denim, thread bits) would work in these molds? Would it need some kind of stiffener to make it more durable? I'm pretty excited about the possibilities after seeing what you guys did with those faces. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2010 01:57:55 PM »

I plan on experimenting with my homemade paper--I do a lot of paper maiche molding with handmade papers and it seems to work just fine making hearts, hands, etc.  I think the paper would have to be thinner to mold a face but I am going to try it!  It would be so fun to imbed beads or crystals around the face, yarns and maybe even natural things like pine needles...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2010 02:05:52 PM »

I plan on experimenting with my homemade paper--I do a lot of paper maiche molding with handmade papers and it seems to work just fine making hearts, hands, etc.  I think the paper would have to be thinner to mold a face but I am going to try it!  It would be so fun to imbed beads or crystals around the face, yarns and maybe even natural things like pine needles...
Do you think homemade paper pulp (recycled papers, shredded denim, thread bits) would work in these molds? Would it need some kind of stiffener to make it more durable? I'm pretty excited about the possibilities after seeing what you guys did with those faces. Smiley
I was wondering that meself...what a great idea always embedding different embellishments!  I think even if you use paper recycled from mail and stuff once you paint it, you would never know it was recycled Smiley

I'm excited to see what you come up with Always...I love inspiration and a whole new world for embellishing dotee's Grin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010 02:12:19 PM by SunflowerSmiles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2010 02:20:33 PM »

Let me look for my actual paper recipe...I want to say that it uses white glue, old paper, water and an old blender...it comes out all grey and ucky, but I paint it with white or black and then use regular acrylics or gold paints...the texture is a bit rough, so if you want a really smooth face, it is probably not great...but think of all the old wrinkly faces that could be done!  We could do an old geezer dotee swap! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2010 02:31:20 PM »

I'm wondering though if it was mushed up really well and the smoothness of the mold will make the face smooth?   Oh dear...I think I must try this.  Now where did I put my blender?...........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2010 03:13:49 PM »

Let me look for my actual paper recipe...I want to say that it uses white glue, old paper, water and an old blender...it comes out all grey and ucky, but I paint it with white or black and then use regular acrylics or gold paints...the texture is a bit rough, so if you want a really smooth face, it is probably not great...but think of all the old wrinkly faces that could be done!  We could do an old geezer dotee swap! Cheesy

So you add glue? Hmmmm...  I am going to have to get the old blender out and give 'er a whirl. Thanks for the inspiration!

And I DO like the idea of a geezer dotee swap! I was thinking that about those little stuffed nylon faces, which lend themselves really well to needle-sculpting. And I have made apple heads over the years for the same reason, but with limited success. Now the paper idea... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2010 03:18:28 PM »

I think it is white glue but I also have a recipe that uses flour...don't go gunking up your blenders yet!

I know on one of the other boards, salt dough was discussed--talk about wrinkles and cracks!  I also make cinnamon dough, which I am going to try to mash into a mold (if I ever get back to that aisle and remember why I am there...)

I would love to try an applehead!!!  I have been tempted to use the dried up cores that I find three months later in my car to make something...oops--maybe that is too gross to consider, but they looked like shrunken heads to me!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Carpet Glam for Less
Hayden Panettiere and Her Makeup Artist Launch Online Beauty Series
Daily Habits That Are Ruining Your Skin
Glam Nomad Makeup at Bibhu Mohaptara NYFW 2014 Show
Shiny Mirrored Nails at the Delpozo NYFW 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...