A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roasted yam spice bread  (Read 1100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Farnsworth
« on: April 02, 2010 03:42:04 PM »

Because I made this pretty much on a whim, I didn't take any "making-of" photos, I'm afraid.

really good with butter on it!

But! My husband barbecued us dinner last night, and he likes to put yams or sweet potatoes in the coals after we are done with the grill, and roasted yams are really good. We ended up with more than we could eat. It occurred to me that we have carrot cake, pumpkin bread, and sweet potato pie, so why not yam cake or yam bread?

So here's the recipe I came up with. It tastes somewhere between spicy carrot cake and pumpkin bread, and I will totally make this during thanksgiving or Christmas next year, as it tastes rather "holiday"ish.

Cooking it in a Dutch oven gave it a bit of a crust, which is a little weird on a sweet bread, but now I want to try soda bread in this thing!

Adapted from this: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/bread/cranberry_yam_bread_recipe.html

Roasted Yam Spice Bread

"wet ingredients"
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup (can use one kind of sugar and skip the syrup, but it makes the flavors more complex)
2 yams, mashed (I did this by taking roasted yams, pulling off the skin, and mashing, but you could just bake them at 400 F or so until soft, roasting does give it a more caramelized flavor, though)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons melted butter

dry ingredients
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup wheat flour (could use 1 1/2 cup of white if you prefer)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

preheat the oven to 350 F

mix the "wet ingredients" together in a large bowl.

In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the yam mixture into it. Mix until all of the flour is incorporated.

Pour/spoon the dough into a greased bread pan (I used a dutch oven, you could also use a square or round glass pan, or a normal loaf pan)

Depending on the size and material of the pan you use will affect the cooking time. With a dutch oven or other thick metal pan, 25-30 minutes will do.

I imagine that a loaf pan would take 45 minutes to an hour.

Bread is done when a toothpick/fork inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Let cool a bit and enjoy! Or do what I did and wait until your significant other is halfway through eating to tell them it's made out of root vegetables.  He was only slightly surprised, I guess he's used to my baking experiments by now.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 05:13:29 PM by Farnsworth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have joined the world of foodblogging! Check it out: http://freethoseradicals.blogspot.com/
brunoise

Eat anything, but if it bites back, boil it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010 06:08:06 AM »

Do you mildly preheat the dutch oven before throwing it in the oven or just pour the mix in from room temp?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spice *IS* the spice of life.
Farnsworth
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010 06:37:05 PM »

Do you mildly preheat the dutch oven before throwing it in the oven or just pour the mix in from room temp?

I did preheat it for a couple minutes, but I probably won't do that when i try this again, the crust was just a little tough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have joined the world of foodblogging! Check it out: http://freethoseradicals.blogspot.com/
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010 06:52:14 PM »

Thanks for posting the recipe, I'm going to try this! It looks really good. And I love your plates  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
Farnsworth
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010 07:19:13 PM »

Thanks for posting the recipe, I'm going to try this! It looks really good. And I love your plates  Smiley

You should let me know how it turns out! And thanks Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hardyjenni
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010 10:20:55 AM »

is the flavor of the yam very noticeable?  Or does it blend in well? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
Farnsworth
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010 12:22:36 AM »

is the flavor of the yam very noticeable?  Or does it blend in well? 

I'd say that it tastes noticeably different then just a plain spice bread, but the flavor blends in well, kind of like how carrot cake doesn't taste like carrots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SatinCorset
inspired by vintage sensibilities

nostalgic for the victorian era

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010 04:18:15 PM »

This sounds & looks delicious. I love yams, and in fact just bought a couple yesterday at the farmer's market, so I'd really like to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Farnsworth
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010 07:55:22 PM »

This sounds & looks delicious. I love yams, and in fact just bought a couple yesterday at the farmer's market, so I'd really like to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Let me know how it turns out if you do make it! Thanks for reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Featured Blogger: Jenny Wu of Good, Bad and Fab
Blake Lively Inspires with Easter Outfit and SJP Channels Carrie Bradshaw
Combat Annoying Static With These Quick Fixes!
Stripes Are The Hottest New Spring Trend
6 Must-Have Shorts You Need For Spring
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...