A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 04/02/10 2010 April Fools Fun  (Read 13815 times)
Tags for this thread: april_fools_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2010 12:36:04 PM »

Yesterday was our annual day of crazy crafty antics and we had a blast!  Thanks to all of you who played along, participated or just enjoyed the fun.  We had a great time crafting AMAZING projects and being fools. Grin  Here's a look back on just what happened around here yesterday...

Our homepage was just all sorts of whacky.  From our [obviously helpful] random tips to tampon bunny ornaments, it was quite a mess!  Click the thumbnail for a larger view of the whole site:

We all pulled together and made gorgeous completed projects from a short list of very random supplies including popsicle sticks, empty toilet paper rolls and grocery bags.  To see all of the projects at a glance, check out the 2010 April Fools tag here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags;sa=showtopics;tag=april_fools_2010

The 50th Craftster Craft Challenge was announced, which involved creating a lifesize sculpture of your favorite form of transportion... from peanut butter!  Read more about it and some of the project brainstorming:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=343094.0

Everyone's avatars randomly appeared from a pool of 12 funny, weird and sometimes creepy images:

The avatars were very popular and produced some great feedback from the community... Grin
  • "have we been "hacked"?" -- PooseDeCat
  • "EEK! The new avatars are brilliant! I want mine to be googly pickles permanently!" -- Wulf
  • "I see ghili with a bunch of nekid cencored baby dolls which I found very strange but her message ended with an apology for being weird because she was drinking, so I thought "hm, mental note- don't change avatar while drinking" Cheesy" -- murbeck
  • "Whats the deal with these avatars of the big head man?  What is the image of and why is he so popular? I feel so out of the loop LOL" -- shelina
  • "And on another note, I really like your avatar jungrrl. I don't need any dryer lint right now though. When I worked at a creative reuse center somebody donated a few months worth. Seriously." -- evilSabina

Our April 01, 2010 Featured Projects were the best of the Botched in all of their glory:  http://www.craftster.org/blog/?p=8110

We decided to share some of our random secret crafting tips and techiques, too!
  • Did you know you can use peanut butter to mend seams?  Apply with a 5-prong plastic fork.
  • Ketchup makes great hair dye!  Just lather it in and wait for the magic to happen.
  • Use cold tin foil to make a luxurious body scrub.  Chill.  Crumple.  Scrub.  Repeat!
  • Dryer lint makes a delicious chilled soup.  Boil until tender, add veggies and seasonings to taste.
  • If you put snow in the microwave, it turns to soap.  Have fun by adding food coloring or embedding small toys.
  • Dish sponges double as glue!  Sit them in direct sunlight until they melt.  Apply liberally to surfaces.

The best part for us was to see all of your reactions and participation, though.  Some were sincere.  Some were hilarious.  Some were just plain confused. Cheesy  Here are a few of our favorites!

April 01, 2010 Featured Projects
     "these are fantastic.  You just brightened my day Sweets et al.  On an unrelated note I need some soap so I think Im going to try the tip and microwave some snow." -- kjlutz
     "Finally some crafts I could do! Wink" -- Facebook fan

Craft Challenge #50 Peanut Butter Transport - Due May 1 - May 7
     "Would a peanut butter boat float?" -- endlessly_intricate
     "Gosh....I like taking the train. That's gonna be a lot of peanut butter. Maybe I better buy a costco membership. Or possibly a peanut farm." -- spicytaco
     "I tried to get started on my vespa made from peanut butter today... however it was so dang hot... it kept melting. *sigh*" -- I Sew Cute
     "in my opinion this is a weird one...lol ! I'd rather eat it with some celery...lol !" -- Facebook fan

A Study in Pink (well, sort of...)--First Post in this Category
     "It's so pink, it's blue all the way back to pink. How meta-postmodern." -- Facebook fan

Bottom's Up Top Hat
     "It's beautiful! You can make the look your own by pulling locks of hair through the holes and curling them." -- Facebook fan

Elegant centerpieces for my friend's wedding!
     "wait, im hoping this is an april fools joke...tp rolls and goodly eyes for a wedding! *gulp* lol" -- Facebook fan

Fancy Earrings and Necklace
     "That necklace just truly reimagines the expression "Statement Piece". It's so stunning, I am literally speechless.  And those earrings- just innovative! I can hardly believe that you have plastic cups hanging from your ears!  I'm pretty sure that you will be the center of attention at any event you attend while wearing those unique pieces!" -- Dragonflywer
     "elegant yet understated...and functional." -- Facebook fan

hanging easter bunnies
     "I always wonder what makes someone sit there and go... "Hmmm.. you know what... I can turn this into a bunny for Easter"... LOL" -- Facebook fan

Interchangeable Shopping Bag
     "can you provide your source list for materials" -- Facebook fan

My first time with polymer clay! Chocolate Ice Cream jewelry!!
     "Maybe on your next set you could try to add some embellishments like cherries, whipped cream or corn." -- UntouchableFace
     "Oh, shit... those are awesome!" - grammardog

And finally, almost everything beckashell said yesterday was funny, but we particularly liked this one:
     "I really hope that the Mods make time next year to plan something funny.  Well at least we've been lucky with all the great new tips that have been showing up today. If only they were funny as well! *sigh*"

Thanks for another funny day, everyone! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Craftster2

<y daughter, Bethany Linda

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010 12:48:58 PM »

You guys are AWESOME, i noticed the strange crafts but it just didn't click Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010 01:14:08 PM »

Yes, to reiterate, I hearts the Craftsters. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010 01:46:37 PM »

Grin Lots of work but totally worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010 02:03:44 PM »

wow. I was completely shocked by the toilet paper centerpieces and the tampon bunnies. then I saw the tips and realized it was all just madness. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hushgirl
Midnight Crafter

http://www.pinterest.com/hushgirl/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010 02:34:31 PM »

Yesterday was so much fun, I just loved posting & seeing what other people posted! At first I was thinking, "what is wrong with some of these posts here?", but then it hit me that it was April 1st, so I just had to play along!

Oh and the avatars! Cracked. Me. Up! (I kinda like the censored nekkid babies one though... is there something wrong with me?)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 02:36:09 PM by hushgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

grenouille78
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010 02:39:18 PM »

I think it's my favorite day around here. Smiley Thanks for the laughs! I like this recap post, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javamama
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010 02:42:09 PM »

For some reason even after looking through all the featured projects and some hot projects, I did not get it! I thought I had missed the 'ugly failed crafts' tag for the featured items. So laughing at myself right now! I was really amazed (and disgusted) at the tampon bunnies and the excitement over that! I mean, I appreciate frugality and all, but Wow did I miss it! Ha ha! so enjoying this site. All days, not just on April fools!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010 02:52:34 PM »

Yesterday was awesome ladies!  The tips and posts and responses to the posts had me laughing allll day! It was great fun Cheesy Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010 02:54:48 PM »

Yay! I'm glad everyone had a good April Fools!

Thanks to sweets4ever and jungrrl for all your extra behind the scenes work, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply New Benefit Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer
Adam Levine Proactiv+
Sweat-Proof Your Makeup Routine
How to Use and Clean Your Clarisonic Brush the Right Way
5 Ways to Avoid Acne Breakouts in the Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...