A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone Else Use Thread Heaven?  (Read 3491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010 01:00:07 PM »

it's available in stores, usually in the quilting/notions section. it's around $4.  it's also available online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010 02:35:50 PM »

There is a reason they call it heaven.  I don't use metallic thread without it anymore, esp DMC metallics.  It even makes stitching with that thread like sunshine and lollypops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiberz

Stitching with Kpop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010 07:26:14 AM »

I have this, but had no luck with it.  I wonder if the box I got was too old?  It doesn't seem to even attach to the floss & I've had to run it through with a lot of force to get it to coat it at all.  I found it more trouble than it was worth...may it was dried up or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Katy
Myrna
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011 06:09:57 PM »

I just discovered Thread Heaven silicone thread conditioner by accident--I needed another small item to fill an order minimum, and a box of it was perfect to put me over the minimum, so I bought it.

And then, I started using it--only for hand sewing and embroidery, mind you--and I am amazed at how well it works at making thread behave as it if were civilized. Even the most slippery stuff like silk, bows to the will of the Thread Heaven.

AND--I discovered that if you apply the thread conditioner to your six strand floss BEFORE separating it--the threads do not tangle as you pull them apart. Just go slowly and the things unwind and glide away from each other the way you always wanted them to, but they never did. (At least for me, anyway, the little buggers always snagged, snarled and often turned into nasty balls of knotted evil.)

The stuff is nothing short of miraculous. Thread will still tangle a bit, but it comes apart so  much more easily than before--I haven't had to cut a knot out for the past month I have been using it.

I probably sound like a shill, but I promise I'm not. Just pointing out something that has helped me not only embroider more, but to actually hand sew and have it relax me, not send my blood pressure over the roof.

Besides, it comes in a cute little cobalt blue cube-shaped box and there are sparkles embedded in the stuff. How can you not love something like that? (My three year old thinks that it is magical solidified pixie dust because of the cute tiny blue box and the sparkles. I do not disabuse her of this knowledge--I tell her it is special magic pixie-dust stuff that helps Mommy's threads stay smooth and untangled.) Grin
I haven't-I'll have to try it-I usually use quilter's wax. It sounds really cool.
I haven't-I'll have to try it-I usually use quilter's wax. It sounds really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
UrsulaDiamond
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011 05:24:18 PM »

This sounds interesting. Does anyone know what it's made out of? Do you think it would effect the embroidery in the long term, like say 5 years down the road is the fabric going to discolour because of some chemical?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011 09:58:17 PM »

This sounds interesting. Does anyone know what it's made out of? Do you think it would effect the embroidery in the long term, like say 5 years down the road is the fabric going to discolour because of some chemical?

I have some that I used Thread Heaven on back in 2004 and 2005.  They look exactly the same today as they did when I finished them.  A couple were done on darker fabric (dark blue) and others are on white, light blue, or ecru.  I do cross stitch rather than embroidery, but the pieces are on a variety of fabrics from linen to adia. 

The thread still feels the same too.  I think it might be a silicone derivative?  I'm not 100% sure, but it sort of feels like that to me.  If so, that stuff stays clear for decades.  I've seen silicone caulking from 30-40 years ago that is still just as clear as the day it was applied! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
UrsulaDiamond
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011 07:35:32 AM »

Awesome thanks Listessa! If i come across it at the store I think I'll give it a try
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011 03:58:44 AM »

Thread Heaven is categorized as a "synthetic silastic polymer". Silicone elastomers are considered bio inert and are used for many things, including catheters. So if it's going there, it's probably okay for thread. Tongue

Check the chart and FAQs on the website-they contend that the product actually extends the lifetime of the thread by protecting it. It doesn't appear to stain either thread or fabric in my experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
UrsulaDiamond
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011 10:05:12 AM »

awesome thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cow Whisperer
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011 10:49:03 AM »

As far as I'm concerned you're preaching to the choir! I've used Thread Heaven for years and couldn't have said anything better myself. No it will not cause discoloration down the line,I personally can speak for 12yrs. It even helps with blending filament and that stuff is just lucky it gives gorgeous results because using it can frustrate to the point of inciting violence!If you run your finger over the top of it and cannot feel a light layer on your skin try taking a blade and very lightly run it across the surface to refresh it,and always keep the lid on it when not in use. If that doesn't help it's probably time for a new one. On sale it can be had for less than 2 bucks. I wonder if there isn't glycerine in it too. I really don't care,as long as it keeps doing what it always has.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Sweet Tooth: Eggnog Pound Cake, Chocaolate Ganache
How to Make a Fantasy Football Cake
Chai Spiced Pumpkin Recipe
These Adorable Holiday Cookies Come With a Tasty Surprise
How to Make Delicious Vegan, Gluten-Free Brownies
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...