A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Beltane Swap Round 19 (Signups 4-1-10 to 4-7-10, Sendouts 4-26-10)  (Read 10019 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2010 05:57:14 PM »

Yeah, I'm not sure where the cotton balls fit in but heck, I'll try anything once!

Does anyone use wild plant harvesting? I am itching to get one of those guides for recognizing dangerous and edible wild plants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
spazgirl1981
AlphaBetsy Bomber

I took up croquet today and I'm on fire!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2010 06:29:21 PM »

Lydia... I second Wulf on the Scott Cunningham herbal books (I think there are two) also his book on oils is very nice.  Smiley

I love this thread... I get so many great book suggestions and such!!!

I have all my materials and all my ideas... now I just need to make them physical. I'm getting started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2010 06:36:21 PM »

Does anyone use wild plant harvesting? I am itching to get one of those guides for recognizing dangerous and edible wild plants.

Funny you should ask - I just posted this yesterday about eating nettles: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=344356.msg4005225#msg4005225

As for books, my favourite is Euell Gibbons' Stalking the Wild Asparagus. There have been lots since then, with better illustrations and more encyclopedic information, but nobody has ever made wild plants seem so delicious as Gibbons! I'm curious to hear what wild plants other people eat. You don't have to be in the country, either: a lot of edible greens, flowers and fruit grow everywhere in cities. For instance, I collect ginko nuts from trees outside the shop where I work. In the fall the foul smelling yellow fruit (think baby vomit Tongue) drops to the ground and if you get to them before the squirrels, there are very tasty (quite unlike the fruit!) little nuts inside, kind of like a cross between peanuts and pistachios.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2010 06:50:00 AM »

I also agree with Wulf, I love Scott Cunningham's books. I have found them very accurate, and as Wulf stated, easy to use. As for eating wild herbs, I haven't eaten much out of the wild besides a ton of berries, including the itty bitty wild strawberries (OOOhh they are so good for jam, though it takes a TON of them lol), some wild onions, wild garlic, nuts, and I gather burdock and nettles for spellwork, but I haven't eaten them. I did make some dandelion wine a few years back, and can I just say.... EEEEEEEEEEEW. LoL Maybe it was just cause it was my first attempt but it was AWFUL!!
In craft news, I have my medium started, and I am going out this weekend to get supplies for my small. It really looks like the medium is going to be a large and the small is going to be a medium, but I hope my partner doesn't mind Wink hehehe. I really suck  at making smalls! hahah
The little man and I have a spring cold going on. Yucky. So the whole house now smells like eucalyptus to help. I hope we are somewhat decent this afternoon because we need to go to the library to exchange our books. We go every two days lol. I LOVE having the library be a 3 minute walk from our house!! It is so excellent. He picked a little viola out of the yard on Monday to take it to the Librarian for a thank you. She was tickled pink and wore it in her hair, so he told her she was "Pitty!!" (pretty), and I think she pretty much melted on the spot lol. He's such a little flirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2010 07:26:37 AM »

That's awesome.

I know I borrow too much from the library when I had to go to another branch (where I have never gone to before) and they scanned my card, squinted and looked up at me and said "I know who you are- I fill the orders for requests that you send from other libraries".   Cheesy I'm becoming notorious!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Ladyblades
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2010 08:00:29 AM »

I use wild plants often. I know the plants I use on sight so I don't need a book but Peterson's and Bradford Angier have written excellent field guides to wild plants for most geographical locations. I prefer a field guide over a general reference. I use one for mushroom hunting because I'm still new at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not swapping for the moment, life is too crazy. See you all soon!
lydiaharper
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2010 02:05:33 PM »

Thanks for the book suggestions. 

I have another question to keep everyone busy.  How did you come to connect with your specific Gods and Goddesses? Did you find them or did they find you? What are some different ways to connect with the different deities and find who is right for you?

Lydia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2010 06:54:55 PM »

I didn't came up with any god or goddess for now.
I have a feeling for Demeter... but I'm not 100% sure....
I guess if you do some research one of them will *pop* as the right one for you...Can take days as it can takes years...
If you really really want to have a matron or patron, ask yourself what are your strength, abilities, and what are the things you want to improve in your life...There are so many deities, one will fit someday ! Wink

That said, I'm done with one more item and an extra for the kiddo Cheesy
Now I only need to find that last special supply and wait on money to send, yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
Ladyblades
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2010 08:13:32 AM »

I have another question to keep everyone busy.  How did you come to connect with your specific Gods and Goddesses? Did you find them or did they find you? What are some different ways to connect with the different deities and find who is right for you?
All of my dieties found me - sometimes in meditation, sometimes in "ah ha" moments. I have no idea how to help others find deities but I know that mine give me VERY OBVIOUS signs of what I need to do to correct a problem that I have asked for help on. Be aware of things that appear to you in threes within a day or two. (ex: I was feeling really stressed and I was shown things on Buddism.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not swapping for the moment, life is too crazy. See you all soon!
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2010 08:33:40 PM »

I'm almost done Smiley should send by thuesday... If I find that last supply I've been looking for... I'm starting to be hopeless!

Another Random question: An easy one I think.... What is the element you connect the most with, and why???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Farm Themed Crafts Using Stencils
Decoupage Crafts and Techniques: Fabric to Fabric
Decoupage Crafts and Techniques: Fabric to Fabric Waterproof Finish
How to Etch a Monogram on Glass
How to Transfer Photo Images
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...