A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Beltane Swap Round 19 (Signups 4-1-10 to 4-7-10, Sendouts 4-26-10)  (Read 10994 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2010 06:37:42 PM »

I'm so intrigued about what you are making for me. I'm totally clueless and I expect to be amazed (not to put any pressure!) ahah!

Okay, it might be OT....but we can't find names for our second. like, at all! I'm kind of hopeless now >_<
Raphalle came out for a girl, but I'm not sure I like it 100%
Help?

(now back to painting!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
Ladyblades
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2010 06:26:39 AM »

Medium started. Design for small in progress. Alter kit is shaping up!

The herb I use most in cooking is really a mixture. It has marjoram, basil, parsley, celery seed, oregano, savory, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, garlic, onion, paprika and salt. We call it our "kitchen sink" mix. For cleaning: orange, lemon and clove essential oils. For healing: tea tree oil, lavender, jewelweed, rosehips, echinacea, yellow dock and yarrow. For magic: it depends. I like an incense blend that I make with sandlewood and myrrh. I have been known to collect wild things to add to my cooking and healing preps. I love mushrooms!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not swapping for the moment, life is too crazy. See you all soon!
lydiaharper
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2010 07:12:51 AM »

I love the "kitchen sink" mix idea.   Wink 

I don't use a ton of different herbs and oils yet, but I LOVE tea tree oil.  It is our boo boo oil.  It can do so much, we pretty much use it several times a day.  DS1 loves dill in almost anything, and I use alot of lavendar.

I got bags of like 6 different herbs from Jenna_Gayle in the last WWP swap, that I am learning more about and starting to use. 

Any recommenations on books about herbs/oils and their uses? 

Lydia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O(

« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2010 08:25:56 AM »

Well, I had said one (1) herb ladies! ahah
I use a lot of them everywhere. I have frozen sereval ones in ice cubs to use them in winter, because it gets to humid here and my plants died Sad I also use drops of oil in my laundry instead of the chemical stuff

I'm not with 2 more things. Now I'm thinking for a 4th and waiting to find the right supplie to make 2 other stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2010 10:01:14 AM »

I have to say, Lavender is my favourite herb too. I use it in just about everything I can. If we're talking resins as well, then I am all about the dragon's blood. Wink

I've brainstormed all of my ideas, I just have to put them into motion. I have to unpack and set up my dandy sewing machine... I think I'll go do that now..  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmichele_craftyfae

the faery of creative chaos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2010 10:51:19 AM »

Any recommenations on books about herbs/oils and their uses? 
Lydia
[/quote]

hmm..herb and oil books...let's see what i have in my stash of books.

Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs by Claire Kowalchik and William H. Hylton (editors) i like this book because it gives a bit of information about the herbs, what part is used as well as info on how to dry and prepare the herbs to use.

one that i just picked up which looks promising is
Herbal Remedies by Andrew Chevallier
it has colored photos and again tells which part of the herb you can use and for what.

i really don't have a good oil one yet though. but those are the 2 books that i have in my collection that come to mind. there are a bunch more, but i still have to find the box that they are all in lol.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O(

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2010 01:55:49 PM »

I have a huge (french) book about herbs but they only says their cooking propertie. It's beautifull, though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
eeyore_witch
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2010 04:40:17 PM »

I've been sick so not really at my computer much. I'm taking a break from the swap part to work on the card part.  In all honesty....i forgot about the card part for a few days...oops.  But I't going good...lol  Work on the swap part later.

Even though I don't work with herbs much yet....I like chamomile.  I like it in teas when I'm stressing. I like using it with lavender in dream pillows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream ~ C.S. Lewis

I love Swaps!!
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2010 05:11:16 PM »

Sorta related to the herb chat, sorta related to the newbie aspects, I found this link that I love the title of:

http://wiccanhuntress.tripod.com/magicklist.html

I'm not sure of the accuracy, but it does emphasize those ingredients that are easy to come by and cheaper than rare ingredients.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2010 05:49:58 PM »

Two of my favourite herb books are by Paul Beyerl: The Master Book of Herbalism (covers both medicinal and magical uses) and A Compendium of Herbal Magick (everything you could ever want to know about ritual/magical uses of plants). Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is the other book I use regularly. Like all of Cunningham's books, it's reliable and easy to read. And an out-of-print one to watch for is a Reader's Digest book called Magic and Medicine of Plants. I think it dates from the 1990s, and still turns up in used stores and yard sales. Probably the best general herb book I've seen, with lots of information and really good illustrations. (I like it even better than the Rodale book, which is also very good.)

I recently found The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless. Although it never really ventures into magical uses, it's a great reference for everything else about aromatic oils.

The Grocery Store Magick List is quite funny. I'm not sure of its accuracy either, but I do recognize where at least some of her suggestions are coming from.

Eeyore_witch, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Naan Bread
How to Make Onion Bhaji
Making Pad Thai
How to Make Raita
How to Use Fresh Ginger Root
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...