I wanted to make a yoga bag for Chad since the only yoga bags I've seen are the cutesy froufrou bags for women. I designed this one to look like a golf bag. It's made from several pairs of Chad's old pajama pants. I'm a little cross-eyed now from staring at plaid for two hours, but I'm very pleased with the results.
Here's what I did:
To make the bag itself:
1) I cut the pants into large strips
2) I measured 10 inches by 34 inches with a clear ruler and traced the lines directly onto the fabric with sidewalk chalk. This bag is made from 6 panels of fabric with dimensions of 10 inches by 34 inches, allowing for seam allowance. Once sewn, the panels shrink to 6 inches by 30 inches. The finished bag is 12 inches wide by 31 inches long. The strap is 28 inches.
3) Line 5 of the panels up side by side. Sew right sides together.
4) Fold the 6th panel in half and sew the 6th panel to the top of the bag. This is where the drawstring goes. I used a belt from one of my dresses for the drawstring. It is also plaid.
5) You now have one large rectangle. Fold it in half, right sides together and sew the sides and bottom. Turn it inside out.
6) Thread a drawstring through the top of the bag.
To make the strap:
I cut two strips of the same width and length and sewed them right sides together. I turned them inside out and top stitched the crap out of them after pressing them with a hot iron.
Attach the strap:
I placed one end under the drawstring casing and sewed them into place. I placed the other end in the middle of bag, careful not to catch the bottom of the bag in my sewing machine, and sewed it into place using a double stitch for strength.
Finish by cutting off all the lose strings and pressing the bag with an iron.