A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,521
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: GLASS Globs.... those silly little things... I need your help.  (Read 1582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shaoono
Shantastic!

Shantastic!=)

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2010 09:31:32 PM »

Ah guys I need your help. Now there are prob a topic about this already but I couldn't find it and went through all eight pages..... and the internet. So Here is the thing. I went to New York a few years ago and saw a vender with some of the most amazing glass glob pendants I've ever seen. Although They looked a bit bigger than the normal bag of globs you can find at a thrift store.

The thing was they were still globs just bigger and they were made to be florescent colors ... which obviously caught every tourists attention including mine and my grandma's ...  But they also had like a metal backing or something to finish them.

We've both been searching ever since on how to do it and I'm finally giving in and asking for help...
I've seen hundreds of things saying that they use those transfers to get pictures and stuff behind them. But It looked way simpler than that because I can't melt glass or anything. I've also seen were they just hot glue the backs to finish them but that isn't right either. And I've seen where people have mentioned soldiering and such. If that's the case how exactly would I do that? One in particular used coke cans as the image and had the metal side wraped aouround the glob... How would that be done?

I would just like to use some of the cheapo little globs and make them pretty colors. But I want them to be finished so it won't rub off. Any Help?
Also what kind of paint should I use?

Sorry I'm a glass newbie lol but I'm so interested. I finally need answers.

This is kind of what I'd like ... just plain colors or maybe a color with some dots or just something simple... I just don't know how to do the backs

or this

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010 05:30:41 PM »

Hi! I just saw this, so sorry for the late response. Glass globs = cabochons.

I made a bunch of cabochons in my glass kiln recently
Did what you saw look like these?

The top picture appears (not sure about this) to be a clear or brown glass cabochon with a design backing it. Not sure how the design is adhered or if it was fused with the glass when making the cabochon.

The ones below appear to be clear unfused glass that has a piece of colorful metal hammered into place and then soldered.

You mentioned that some of the ones you saw were fluorescent. Did you mean metallic? If metallic, then you probably saw dichroic glass cabochons. They're very pretty, but dichroic glass is very pricey. There are a few in my picture, but they're hard to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
tammy 123
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010 12:31:15 AM »

These are really very beautiful and such globs looks really very pretty as you can make different patterns that looks fabulous and this design can be created in more better ways.

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cooperlove
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013 09:43:29 AM »

I used to make these all the time.  The picture needs to be thin (either paper or a can) and cut to fit the glass.  You must use silicon glue for this project!
Put a dot of the glue on bottom of the glass and press down on the image.  One shot so make sure you line it up correctly.  The silicon glue will spread out and any bubbles will disappear when dry.  For a necklace, glue a metal eye hook and then a cut piece of felt on the back with E6000.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013 04:59:06 PM »

It looks to me like the top one is a picture on paper that is decoupaged onto the back of a flat glass marble.  Use Mod Podge or thinned white glue to attach, then coat heavily with lacquer type spray, and use E6000 to attach a finding or magnet to the back.

The lower one looks like they cut a circle out of a coke can, then used copper stained glass tape to hold it to the back of the marble--you wrap the tape around the edge.  Then solder is applied over the copper to strengthen it, and a ring is soldered on the top.

I can see that the original asker has never come back to comment, but maybe this will help someone else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shaoono
Shantastic!

Shantastic!=)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013 11:49:44 AM »

I've tried several different methods since Smiley Thanks for the tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cozy Crochet Mittens
Homemade Hen Party Crackers
How to Personalize Holiday Gifts
How to Host a Caroling Party
Arm Knitting: A Scarf in 30 Minutes?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...