A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skateboard cake & RIDICULOUS giant Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake!  (Read 2463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bunny of DOOM!
Plastic Dinosaurs are my life.

Rawr.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2010 12:46:47 AM »

This is a skateboard cake I wrote for a 12 year old tomboy skater girl! I was fairly underwhelmed by it, but I think it turned out fine considering it was for someone I've never met & I didn't get any money for it! My mum tends to offer my services to everyone she meets..

I made this RIDICULOUS cake for my work friends birthday Cheesy I wish the photos showed the size a bit better, because this thing was HUGE. We cut the thinnest slices possible and everyone still had trouble finishing them because they were so tall! Its 4 layers of super moist chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting in between the layers, then covered in peanut butter frosting and chocolate frosting, just for fun. She loved it, and said it was the best cake anyone had ever gotten her. YAY! I hope there's still some left for me to hack into at work on Monday..mmm.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marya780
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010 05:20:51 AM »

I am drooling over the peanut butter cake right now, mmmmm!

The skateboard turned out awesome too. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010 08:25:17 AM »

I am drooling over the peanut butter cake right now, mmmmm!

The skateboard turned out awesome too. Cheesy

What she said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010 04:55:52 PM »

Both cakes look great! However, I'm shocked that the skateboard recipient didn't offer to pay! They just took the cake and that was it? Especially since they don't know you well, it's not like you had to get them a gift (aka the cake). You have to tell your mom to stop offering your services for free.. I don't think that's fair at all.

That PB and chocolate cake looks gourmet. Wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Bunny of DOOM!

Rawr.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010 07:05:44 AM »

However, I'm shocked that the skateboard recipient didn't offer to pay! They just took the cake and that was it? Especially since they don't know you well, it's not like you had to get them a gift (aka the cake). You have to tell your mom to stop offering your services for free.. I don't think that's fair at all.
Hehe, I agree! Believe me! I think people just don't realise they aren't always cheap- the fondant cost me $36 alone, not to mention ingredients and bits and bobs and my time- I had to make both these cakes in one night after working til 9:30pm & having to get up for work again at 6 the next morning. I don't mind for friends AT ALL, but I feel a bit put out when people just expect it. I'm not one to charge, if someone offered money I would usually say no anyway, but it's nice to be offered when it's a stranger Smiley Thanks for the comments guys! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queensqueeze
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010 04:38:46 AM »

Your Mum is obviously very proud of your talents but maybe doesn't quite realise how much time and money goes in to them. Maybe you could casually drop in to the conversation when your Mum says 'oh they loved it' that you 'certainly hope so seeing as how there was near $40 worth of fondant in there'...plus ingredients...plus your time...
Great job though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JulieMom
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010 11:36:36 AM »

WOW!! My friend just requested I make a skateboard cake for her son's birthday. Is there any way you could give me some tips? Like, how did you make the 'metal' parts? And how did you make the wheels? Your cakes both look yum!!

And I agree that if your mom is going to offer your services, you (A) Need to be asked first, and (B) She needs to foot the bill for the ingredients!! and (C) She at LEAST needs to be there and clean up your kitchen for you! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bunny of DOOM!

Rawr.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010 07:13:33 PM »

Juliemom, COOL! First tip is the shape- it was actually really easy, I just used a rectangular pan, and a round cake tin- I cut the round in half & stuck the half-circle on each end, tada! Much easier than trying to carve it up and have it go all crumbly. I gave it a thin crumb coat of just icing sugar and water icing just in case before covering it Smiley

For the wheels, I originally intended to make a few cupcakes and slice them up, then cover them in fondant. This probably would be the best idea- had I not gotten lazy Tongue By that stage it was like 2am and I couldn't be stuffed baking so I just used straight fondant. Of course, it was very warm in my house and the fondant stayed incredibly soft overnight- I had to give my hubby the wheels to attach at the very last second before he delivered it for me otherwise they would have lost shape. If you get time, def try the cupcakes method. I have these little double-pronged toothpicks for cocktail weenies & stuff which I shoved half way into each wheel- then shoved the prongs into the cake to keep them up- just warn the recipient about the toothpicks!

The metal bits are painted using alcohol paint from a cake decorating store- you can make it yourself by mixing silver lustre dust with a teensy bit of alcohol, then just paint it on with a brush..mine wasn't too neat cos by that point I wasn't too bothered!

Good luck, I hope you post pictures, & let me know if you have any more questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot Close-ups in Macro Mode
How to Shoot at Night Without Flash
How to Prevent Red Eye
How to Take Pictures with a Changing Sun
How to Isolate Your Subject
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...