A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make your own Peeps! (pic heavy!)  (Read 3015 times)
Tags for this thread: peeps , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 31, 2010 06:03:40 PM »

Ss there is a whole tale of how I came to make my own Peeps, but I have chosen to spare you my rambling Smiley If you want to know why I made them feel free to visit my blog for the details: http://jojobean26.blogspot.com/2010/03/faux-peeps.html I know you really all just want to know how to make them so on to the how-to!

A few notes before you begin: This is only a very easy project if you own a stand mixer. Owning a hand mixer is fine, but it means that you will need to stand over a bowl, whipping constantly for at least 15 minutes. I don't really have that kind of patience, so without my trusty Kitchen Aid, there is no way I'd make these Smiley Also, you may want to prepare a second, smaller glass pan in addition to the 9x13. I ended up with a ton of extra marshmallow this time! You don't want to waste any of this good stuff.

Faux Peeps (Feeps?)

Ingredients:
Cooking Spray
2 cups granulated sugar
1 Tbls. corn syrup
4 envelopes gelatin
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 c. water, divided

Preparation:
Spray a 9x13 inch glass pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.

Sprinkle gelatin over 3/4 c. water in a bowl. Allow to sit and soften for 5 minutes.

In a small saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup, and 3/4 cup water to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Turn heat to medium high and cook until it reaches 260 degrees on a candy thermometer.

Place bowl of gelatin over a small pan of simmering water and whisk until all gelatin is melted and combined. Set aside.

Beat egg whites in stand mixer of high until stiff peaks form.

Whisk gelatin into sugar mixture. While mixer is still turned on, slowly pour sugar and gelatin mixture into the egg whites. Beat on high speed for 10-15 minutes. The mixture will get very thick and fluffy. It should look like a jar of, well, fluff.

Pour your fluff immediately into prepared pans, smoothing with a spatula. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 3 hours. It can sit as long as over night.

Now for the fun part. Fill a shallow bowl with colored sugar. Spray your cutter (or knife) lightly with cooking spray. Cut into marshmallow slowly, as it might stick a bit. Lift carefully with your fingers and push out from the cutter into the bowl of sugar. Flip to coat on all sides and move to a piece of waxed paper.

Pipe on the teeny face.

I used black gel coloring for the eyes and nose, but you could also use melted chocolate. My cutter shape came out a little wonky, and I made it much bigger than a standard Peep Bunny. I think the little pink guy felt threatened by his giant cousins. Rightfully so.

**p.s. If you can't find colored sugar, make your own by filling a zilpoc bag with 1 cup of granulated or extra fine sugar and a few drops of food coloring. Seal, shake, then spread on a sheet pan lined with wax paper to dry out. It lasts virtually forever.

**p.p.s. For regular marshmallows (those without color) you can dip them in a mix of 1 part cornstarch and 2 parts powdered sugar. That will give them a nice matte finish and keep them from getting all stuck to each other.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010 06:07:00 PM by Banga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010 06:21:51 PM »

Love it!  I feel like I must make these for easter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010 06:23:22 PM »

Those look yummy and much better than regular Peeps, which I hate.  I would eat those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
iuliasuavis
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010 07:41:14 PM »

This is such a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-iuliasuavis
I am a library school student- follow me to hear about books and other fun-related things!
http://twitter.com/iuliasuavis
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010 09:52:30 AM »

You made Peeps bigger, therefor you win.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
urban craft
urban craft

we stay up late

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010 04:52:29 PM »

I've always loved peeps but won't touch them cause I don't know what they put in those things, unpronounceable chemicals, etc.
But now, I'm making these.

Easter is saved!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ficklephonebug
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010 05:38:21 PM »

Y U M !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sminto
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010 07:42:02 PM »

Hmm..
do these marshmallows taste different than regular peeps? I HATE peeps because, like urban craft said, I don't know what's in the store's Peeps.

I want to make some. where did you get the cutter? and was the recipe for one pan full of marshmallows? how many bunnies did you get cut out?

they look awfully tasty! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Check out my blog, Scissors and a Whisk!
LadyDeath2007
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010 09:29:37 PM »

So cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Cute Sushi.  Purchas here http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=8250505
Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010 04:32:19 AM »

Thanks for the compliments all!

And to answer your questions:

sminto, homemade marshmallows are amazing. They don't taste at all like store bought. The reason I don't like store bought Peeps is because of the colored sugar. It does taste very much like chemicals! (But if you read the Peeps ingredients, it is really just sugar and corn syrup with a preservative added, nothing tooo crazy!) If you make your own colored sugar you can control the amount of food coloring in it, plus you can add flavors like vanilla by tossing a vanilla bean into the bag when you shake it up. You can also just use natural colorings, though I haven't tried that myself.

This recipe makes at least one 9x13 pan of marshmallows, but I did get extra this time. I filled a second smaller dish (maybe 4x6 inches) too. It made 10 bunnies, but only because I wasn't careful about where I cut, since it was just an experiment. Plus my cutter is huge!

I made the cookie cutter myself, after a very long and fruitless search. The Peeps peeps apparently don't make Peeps shaped cookie cutters, even though they make a ton of merchandise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Dressed and Top Trends at the 2013 Emmys
Choosing a Bra for Busty Heart
Fashion at the 65th Primetime Emmys
How to Choose the Right Bra
Marios Schwab - London Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...