A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does anyone have a knitting machine????  (Read 4750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amy Lou
« on: March 04, 2004 06:56:49 AM »

I need any and all advice if anyone has one. I got a bulky machine and I can't find an excellent source for beginners projects.  thanks amylou Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004 10:12:54 AM »

Okay...I've heard of sewing machines but I've never heard of a knitting machine.  Personally, I'd probably just like to knit by hand but whatever floats your boat.  Sry no suggestions but good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ann
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004 07:58:28 AM »

A knitting machine?  Isn't that a tool of the devil? Shocked
....For some reason in America there seems to be a weird lack of true knowledge about what knitting machines are and what they can do.
Other countries with strong knitting cultures are quite familiar with them and use them often.
I think they are amazing and am actually in the process of buying my first one.
For those who have no clue, a knitting machine was first explained to me as a kinda mix of weaving and hand knitting.
All you knit crazy gals should definitly explore the possibilites of the knitting machine - open your minds and the creativity will follow!
Good luck with your new machine Amy Lou!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raine
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004 08:46:43 AM »

Sorry, I don't have a knitting machine, so I can't help with your original question, but I have a question of my own, if you don't mind me asking in this thread. I'm kind of interested in knitting machines, I'm wondering how much they cost, if it would be a major investment? Also, how hard are they to use (obviously its a bit tricky, since you're asking)? And when you say bulky, how big is the machine (bigger than a sewing machine)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amy Lou
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004 06:34:59 PM »

HI! well I on my way to  cracking the bulky code...it's really not that hard but it would be great if you could take a class.  The machines themselves are long and flat with crochet hook like needles that grab the yarn...the bulky has 114 and the normal one has 200.  If you are interested in researching a machine they have a nice description of the machine types.  
http://www.yarn-store.com/knitting-machines.html...they really are awesome.  I made a poncho just tonight for a friend in cashmere.  if you have any more questions or if you want my teachers email just write.  amylou Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heygirl
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004 04:56:03 PM »

I really want one! But my mom won't pay $150 for the Ultimate Sweater MAchine. I will have to look on ebay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Enjoy the ice cream while it's on your plate."
                      - Thorton Wilder
(Personally I have never heard of Thorton but I like that quote!)
princess_me

You can't make me grow up!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004 05:06:07 PM »

my mom just made blankets with hers. i am gonna get her to teach me how to use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004 02:33:34 PM »

I just bought the ultimate sweater machine on ebay for $80.  Not the greatest deal, I know, but I'm super impatient and didn't want to wait for better.  And it came with an extra extension too.  The guy sent it out on Friday, and I cannot wait till it gets here.  I'll be sure to give updates on my learning.  I know what yarn I'll use on it first.  I bought a cone of yarn from ebay about a year ago to use to crochet a throw for the couch, but it's meant for weaving or a kitting machine, so it has some kind of coating on it that's meant to make it go more smoothly through machines, but that makes working with it by hand a huge pain.  I'm hoping to be able use the new knitting machine to knit a throw for the couch instead.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
boleyn

Queen Anne Lackhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004 09:57:50 PM »

Hi,
I've also got a bulky machine as well as a ribber attachment. I haven't done too much on it yet, but I recommend seeing if you can get the Bible for  Machine Knitting books. This is an out of print set of two books. One is the Guide to Knitting Techniques, which has lots of info on different stitches, increasing, decreasing, etc. The other book in the set is How to Make Garments. It has some basic sweaters and teaches you some pattern variations as well. Like I said, these books are out of print, but you can check for them on Ebay or get them through Abe's Used Books ( www.abebooks.com ). Hope this helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004 05:21:05 PM »

It came yesterday afternoon, I've been playing with it since then.

Things I've learned:  

There is a difference between the Incredible Sweater Machine and The Ultimate Sweater Machine.  I bought the Incredible Sweater Machine, which is the older version.  It's got a wire guide that's a pretty big pain.  It was bent when it came here and took a lot of fiddling to get it back where it should be.  There is an upgrade that you can get for about $40 that'll make it just like the Ultimate, which I'll probably do, making my eBay find no deal at all, lol.

The video makes it look easier than it is.  Not that it's hard, but when you have normal beginner problems with it, it's pretty frustrating not to be doing just like on the video.

The weighting is important and helps the stitches to form correctly.  Be sure to use the side weights that are included.

Chenille is probably not the best yarn to start out with.

I think these shouldn't be called knitting "machines" as much as they should be called "hook knitters" or something.  They're not just some kind of push a button kind of thing, and have just as much, um, "handcrafting" as most of the other crafts I do.  Just faster!   Grin

Also, just for interest, this is an article about a project Bond is supporting in Rwanda to establish careers for refugees working with knitting machines.  http://www.fiberandcraft.org/scarves_peace.html  The scarves are really beautiful and awesome looking.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004 09:49:04 AM by BeppyCat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Output Module – Photoshop CS4 Sneak Peek
How to Use Adobe Bridge in Photoshop
Saving Time Working in Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS4
Using 3D in Photoshop
How to Use Content Aware Scaling in Adobe Photoshop CS4 (Lynda.Com)
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...