A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: winter real fur coat (img obese) - *MODERATOR'S CHOICE* 3/31/10  (Read 3899 times)
Tags for this thread: sheepskin , coat , childrens_clothes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

veri
« on: March 31, 2010 01:23:22 PM »

I know everybody is in a spring mood already, and I can't wait for it as well Kiss but here the snow is predicted for tomorrow so I have all legal rights to post this now Grin.
This year's winter here was very very hard (cold and snowy) and my dds started kindergarten so they were sick all the time. Consequently I wanted to keep them warm when we were outside not to catch cold that way as well. I made a really bright orange 100% waterproof winter overall (lined with faux fur) for my dd last year so it fitted the my second baby this year just perfectly (they are 17 months apart but the little one is a bit taller). Ok, only one to go Wink. This is the (older) girl in her new coat and as you can see man just has to try his best for this little beauty (I know - mamma's eyes... Wink):

Some of you might remember this coat from the bag challenge where my dd posed with the bag in this coat:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=336799.msg3897571#msg3897571

I wanted to make her something really warm but not an overall because she's a big girl, doesn't need diapers and we had a lot of really warm trousers so i thought a coat would be best. I gave it a lot of thought because the sheep fur is really expensive and I first wanted to make an anorak from OM, but than I altered it in all possible ways (I split the front and added a zipper so I can easily undress her in the store and she doesn't get hot), I lengthen it and did some other adjustments (no side zippers because I designed the bottom part differently...) so it's kind of something else now... I also painted and stenciled it and here is what I came up with:

front side:

back side where you can see the compas stencil:

side view:

closeup of the hood:

upper part:

It is made of real sheep fur, treated only with vegetable stuff, no chemicals whatsoever. So it's really natural, soft and cuddly but very ugly on the leather side. But I wanted the fur side to be on the inside since that just makes the coat warmer and softer and cuddlier. So I painted the leatherside with acrylics and stenciled it with compas stencil I cut from foil. You can see a better picture of the stencil here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342995.msg3984845#msg3984845

And last but not least here are some action (real action!) photos:

In case you are interested in the orange overall you can find it here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=340159.msg3942478#msg3942478
To tell you the truth this project was a real pain in the a**! Sewing this fur is something I really don't look forward to do again though I really like the final result and it really is warm! Much warmer than anything else... But it was flimsy, stressful, i used a pack of needles I think, and so on...
The painting was another issue since I had to do some experiments which paints would be appropriate for the job... The textile paints didn't work because they need to be heat treated and the heat made the leather hard - not good. So I used good quality acrylics and this worked very nice. No problem whatsoever.

But with all the drama, all room full of sheep hair that flew around I'd really appreciate any feedback! This is the one project where I really need to know what you think of it...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010 03:46:45 PM by alwaysinmyroom - Reason: moderator choice; minor edits » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010 01:30:43 PM »

Love the jacket! the stencil is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010 02:04:40 PM »

I find it amazing that you would even think to make something out of a real sheepskin...

It looks tremedously warm and very unique..like a designer coat for kids!  I love it!

The hood is just wonderful as are the cuffs and trim...the fur running down the arms is a nice detail as well!

WOW--I am impressed veri!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the armchair craftster
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010 02:08:53 PM »

I bet it was a monster to sew!!  Shocked
the end result is VERY impressive, she looks so warm and cosy, and the stencilling is very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010 03:53:18 PM »

love this and love the stencil. I am interested in the paint as I have lots of yukky pieces of suede and leather and would like to colour them. Did you sew this on a regular machine? I lined a medieval garment with an old cut up fur coat, thinnish skin and it was a bugger. broke at least 10 needles. Not to mention cutting the stuff, it was like i shaved ten cats in my kitchen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010 04:48:57 PM »

Wow! I loved this just from the posting about the stencil, and now that I see it in total I desperately want one of my own! The stencil, the sponging, everything is so brilliant. You can see how much your daughter likes it from the photos! I've been looking for a sheepskin coat for myself for a couple of years and haven't found one I like or can afford. I think this may be enough to convince me to make my own. (Edel's warnings about shaved cats and broken needles not withstanding, of course.) And now that I know I can stencil it...

Wulf

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010 08:45:57 PM »

this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010 10:56:43 PM »

Great job on that coat! Your daughter looks like she'll be out in the snow a lot. It's getting warm here... It's hard to believe people are still in snow!
  Here are a couple tips from working with a furrier as an assistant... about 7 yrs. ago...
1) Use a sharp razor and metal ruler edge to cut fur thru the skin side. Cut only thru the skin, not thru the fur. 
2) Use a vaccum hose to keep down the fluff. We used to vaccuum the furs with a small Shark vaccuum.
3) get some leather needles, and use a strong waxed thread. Like the kind tailors use, that
is in a package. You can use buttonhole thread, but waxing it is a good thing.
4) you can use 1/4 to 1/2" wide twill tape to joins seams. using the tape, stitch one edge to one piece of fur, and butt the seams, then stitch the other edge. Learn how to do a stitch that is like a zig-zag, but by hand... I can't think of the name... it's the stitch tailors use to sew in horsehair interfacing.
5) you can use rubber cement to help seal edges, and tape down.
6) try a machine zig-zag on the edges of two layers, and then lay the seam open, so the edges lay next to each other. This will be as close to the type of stitch a fur machine does, without the real deal. The fur machine makes a tiny wrapped edge, and looks like the rolled edge a babylock will make for napkins, only finer. a zig-zag on the edges will give you the ability to spread out the work, flattening it.
7) Furriers block thier work by misting the back of the finished piece, and stapling it to a plywood board, that is covered with muslin. it is stretched into place, nailed down, and left until dry. this smoothes out rippled seams.
  I hope this info is useful... I'm no expert... I was only there for 3 seasons, but she did show me a few trade secrets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veri
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010 12:43:54 AM »

Thank you all for your kind responce! It was really hard to sew so it means a lot to me to know that somebody actually likes what came out. Smiley Well, dd and my male liked it so that also counts Wink. And this monster was really expensive (I needed 5!!! sheep skins!) but at the end I think it was worth it because my younger dd can wear it next winter and maybe another one after a few years... Wink

edelC, yes, it sure looks like you shaved something really furry  Grin. I used Liquitex acrylics and I must say this paints really are something special - very good coverage, very bright colors and very resistant. My "male" bought them for me a few years ago because I allways bought the cheap stuff from the craft stores and it does make a difference... They really hold well - in spite of all the playing and rolling on the snow Grin.
Yes, I used a regular sewing machine (but it's a good machine - Bernina Aurora - I got it for my bd and my second child after more than 10 years of frustration with an old and rebelant Elna Tongue) I don't think I could do it without it! I love my machine! Kiss

wulf, thank you very much on the compliment and also to ease my worried mind about peeling off the paint - it really holds well.

KLKing, I used leather needles, of course! I wouldn't dear to try this otherwise Grin. I cut only the leather side  but with the scissors not the razor - have to keep that in mind if I ever try this again. I thought about vacuum cleaner but I sew at night so this was not possible - my dds sleep in the next room and the walls are paperthin...though I shaved the seam allowances of some seams (the ones on the inside to make the seams less bulky). I used normal polyester thread and it worked ok for this. I hope it will hold on for years to come. I just joined the seams normally - sometimes with the fur sides together (the upper seams on the arms) which is easier because you don't have fur to get caught into your sewing foot, feeding dogs,... And most of the time with the leather sides together - that is tricky but it really helps if you put some tissue paper to the underneath and use a quilting foot that doesn't have any protruding parts that just beg the fur to entangle in Grin. It's also useful to adjust the foot pressure to max possible and to guide the fur like the feeding dogs aren't there at all (because it will sure feel like there aren't any Wink)...
I tried to find rubber cement many times because I wanted to repair and/or make some shoes but I can't find it here! When I was a child it was available but now it's a mission impossible!
I used straight and zigzag stitch but I haven't use the one to join the two edges next to each other - that seam is not so strong and this is kid's clothing nevertheless... so I stuck to the safe version;)
As for blocking I like the idea very much - it sure holds the shape than! There is just a small problem with space here;) But I'll keep it in mind if we ever live in a larger flat and I make something leathery again. Thank you for all of your advice! Will come handy once I forget how sewing a sheep fur is and will get tempted to do it again Grin
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010 12:45:46 AM by veri » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010 04:59:47 AM »

I had no idea how difficult this was...thanks KLKing and veri for explaining the challenges and how to overcome them!

Wulf--if you make something for yourself, I am sure it will be wonderful!

If your daughter outgrows this in a few years, maybe it can be adapted for your son!  It looks like it can be for both a boy or girl!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Camera Raw Processing
Camera and Lighting Set Up
Adjusting the Contours of an Image
Adding Luminosity to an Image
Adding Subtle Colors to a Black and White Image in Lightroom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...