A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Girls Wonderland Whimsy Room Pink/Green/Blue/Yellow  (Read 9759 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arielthemermaid

Have tons of fabric for swap. PM for more info.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 31, 2010 08:34:41 AM »

This is my daughter's room, which I am about to rip out and redo again. (She's a teenager now, horrible wretched things! Smiley) Let me know what you think about this room. And if you have any ideas on my redecorating thoughts. (I rather mused out loud at the bottom of the post.) Would love to hear anything you think pertinent, as when I redecorate this room my daughter will be at her dad's and it will be a surprise for her. (I know her likes and dislikes, so this will not be a problem. Just want to make sure I have covered all the necessities.) Teenage girls and teenage girls' moms are welcome to send me their ideas as well.
Her bedroom was a work in progress for about 4 years. (We bought a new house, etc.) I hand-painted the furniture first and made all my other designs around it. I call it her Whimsy, but the pictures don't really do it justice. (I had to scan photos, can't find the CD.) It's rather like Alice in Wonderland without the characters.
My nickname for her is "Sunshine", so I incorporated it in several places, like on the desk, the desk chair, and the crown on the canopy. The canopy is ceiling- and wall-mounted and made from wood, fabric, and twinkle lights. The inspiration for the canopy came when my daughter became irritated that her brother's room had "all these cool lights in it" and her room didn't have any. (My son's room was the inside of a spaceship  Cheesy) The best thing about the canopy is at night, it is really light sleeping under the stars because the lights twinkle on and off very softly. (She was pleased.)
I have also included photos of the cat rocker I repainted (was an ugly gray brown) and it is based upon one of our cats that is a tabby. The two nightstands match the desk and chair and all the furniture was painted at the same time. (She is the 3rd generation in my family to have this bedroom set. Underneath all that paint is solid mahogany. (Yes, I hear the gasps!) The last photos are of her wall cabinets. (These are my very favorite thing in the world to add to a child's room because all their junk is hidden behind doors and looks so neat and clean. My son has a set in his spaceship that are covered in silver lame. Am going to redecorate his room, too.  Sad ) These cabinets are simply those storage cabinets you get at Home Depot, etc. for about $125-$150 each and usually come in white or wood tone laminate. Basically I padded these, covered in fabric, french memo-ed, and trimmed and voila! original artistic storage that really works! I have included a photos of one with the doors open.

I am going to be redecorating this room, but I am keeping the cabinets and I will recover them to match the new decor. I haven't decided on the new decor theme, like I said she's a non-human life form, harrumph, I mean a teenager. But I will be replacing the twin size bed with a full size. I'm sorta thinking a custom upholstered loft bed, only 4' off the ground maybe with a shaped tuffed headboard, storage underneath, etc. Kinda a Parisian theme. Like raspberry and gold. I'd like to keep the harlequin diamond design on the walls, but in a different color, but we'll see. I love harlequin diamonds!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010 08:44:45 AM by arielthemermaid - Reason: added pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” - Albert Einstein
CraftyDiem
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010 08:55:57 AM »

WOW!  This is amazing.  I am blown away by the painted furniture - it's just so beautiful.  The canopy for the bed with the lights in it is incredible too!  Thanks so much for letting me know this was up. 

I can't imagine what you would do for a teenager room!  My sister just has a great big mirror (that's important, I know) and lots of changing posters depending on what is cool at the moment. 

Can't wait to see what you do next! Smiley
Emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
mlheran

Jack of all trades

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010 09:06:56 AM »

Wow, you should seriously consider putting that painted furniture on consignment rather than repainting it -it's wonderful!

I'm afraid I can't help much with the teenager thing as those years are far behind me. Roll Eyes I remember wanting to "be alone" or have my own space for my brooding teenage thoughts, so maybe some kind of quiet/sheltered corner or bed draperies? I think a good-sized mirror would be good, too -maybe on the inside of those cabinet doors? That might be kinda glam, to have the doors lined with mirrors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
arielthemermaid

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010 09:25:12 AM »

Wow, you should seriously consider putting that painted furniture on consignment rather than repainting it -it's wonderful!

I'm not repainting the furniture or selling it, I'll move it to my overstuffed basement, wrapped up, etc. I hope I'll have grandchildren someday, so it will past to the 4th generation. (Besides, my grandmother had painted it white for me when I was 5 yo. with oil-based paint probably containing lead Smiley I had to actually use a grinder and sander with an air compressor, the kind used by auto mechanics, to get the paint off! Wouldn't repaint if you paid me!)

Thank you both mlheran and emilyjp for the big mirror idea. She definitely needs that now! You know, you can't ask straight out what a teenager wants because "I don't know/care" or an answer that changes every 5 minutes is always the response. I figured I'd go ahead and do the hard labor and let her put on her own finishing touches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” - Albert Einstein
cursive_queen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010 09:43:00 AM »

That's a great room, I bet she loved it as a child.
Suggestions for a teenager, space for a computer/laptop if she has that  and maybe a spot to put on makeup/do hair
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arielthemermaid

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010 10:07:16 AM »

That's a great room, I bet she loved it as a child.
Suggestions for a teenager, space for a computer/laptop if she has that and maybe a spot to put on makeup/do hair
I was considering recycling my son's loft bed to daughter's room. I want to cut it down so I could tuft an ornate headboard (on long side) and upholster/tuft all other sides (inside and out).
What do you guys suggest..4' or 5' to top of underside of bed? I had considered building a desk area for homework, computer, etc. under loft bed with a drape that could be pulled closed to disguise clutter. Ceilings are only 8' (2d floor), so height of underbed area cuts into headboard height. 4' would just fit desk and laptop, but more height would allow for more out of sight storage (books, mags, whatnots)
All suggestions are very welcome and I appreciate all that have been posted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010 10:24:06 AM »

when you repaint the harlequin diamonds, have you considered an argyle pattern? (I'm a lover of the Argyle, what can I say) It would entail another layer of paint, to make the criss-crossing stripes, but it could be cool. That's my plan for my daughters' room, once she demands a new paint job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
tgrsbug
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010 10:58:59 AM »

I was thinking a light pink with lighter pink harlequin pattern on one wall, with 3"-4" stripes of the same colors on the other walls. Only a shade or two between the two, something to give texture and intrest, but not something too busy. Then, a canopy bed like this, http://knockoffwood.blogspot.com/2010/01/plans-canopy-for-farmhouse-bed-pottery.html, only instead of a headboard like is shown here, do a simple mdf headboard, which you can then pad and  cover with black and white toile, with pink/black/ or gold buttons to make it poufy. Repeat the black and white toile on the cabinets, keep the pink trim(love it!) with black, the darker pink, and gold ribbons.  I was thinking restoring the furniture to the original mahogany, and staining the bed to match, but since you want to pack it away, maybe find something else,(a desk like you have, with a mirror above it would be a nice stand in for a vanity) and paint/stain it the same deep, warm color to kind of lend a maturity and enhance, rather than compete with the walls. (white would look nice too)I remember when I was a teenager, I wanted things that were mature and romantic and not a hint of kid-like, which is why I suggest a canopy bed instead of a loft, but that's me, not necessarily you daughter : )(plus, with a loft bed, how could she do the dramatic teenage girl flop onto her bed or have girlfriends lounge with her, reading fashion mags?!  ; ) Also, over the bed, hang these, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60150794, and http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80150788, in white, the little one on top of the larger, wrap in white tulle with a little gold tulle too. You had said you were thinking about Parisian maybe...I was thinking, along with a large mirror (keep the one you have where it is, just paint the frame gold)to have poster-sized black and white photo prints of Paris like these,
http://www.art.com/products/p10072503-sa-i800141/paul-almasy-rock-n-roll-sur-les-quais-de-paris.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=0&ui=221c7e2d3bab418899dd67ee001974c3&searchstring=paris+black+and+white, and
 http://www.art.com/products/p13066536-sa-i3728372/tavin-the-eiffel-tower-paris-france-c1897.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=0&ui=221c7e2d3bab418899dd67ee001974c3&searchstring=paris+black+and+white, and
http://www.art.com/products/p12200618-sa-i1572625/paul-desny-paris.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=5050863&ui=221c7e2d3bab418899dd67ee001974c3 in simple cheap black poster frames. Anyhoo, just what my little brain worked up. : ) Good luck and please let us know what you do and post pics!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010 11:29:20 AM by tgrsbug » THIS ROCKS   Logged
melissanorth
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010 11:00:35 AM »

Hmm..a teenager- how old is she exactly? I like what you did the memo boards on the doors. I have 3 doors in my room (wardrobe, cupboard and main door) but they always get in the way of where I want to put things.  Is she quite outgoing? Bright pink and lime green and lots of patterns suggest she is (or at least you are). The parisian headboard idea sounds fab. I think it would look nice with the colours toned down a bit, the harlequins painted black and white then the bedding etc in raspberry and gold like you mentioned. I notice a pottery wheel in her cupboard- is she crafty too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010 11:26:02 AM »

definatly doesn't look like ateen's room... it's CLEAN! but so beautiful for a child, she is lucky to have had it growing up.
 how old is she now? there isn't much  in the room to give any idea of her interests or age... unless she's 13
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010 11:27:45 AM by FairyWings » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Kathy LeMay Reveals Her Motto
The Wild, Wild Inside Book Trailer
Jennifer Weiner Discusses Fly Away Home
Wicked Authors Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie
Holly Black Describes the Inspiration Behind White Cat
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...