A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soap-a-palooza! (part 2 -- the EO's) (mucho mucho pics)  (Read 2245 times)
Tags for this thread: cold_process_soap , cp_soap , essential_oil  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2010 12:37:39 AM »

Here are the other five batches I made along with the first 3 batches of soap-a-palooza!

These are all made with essential oils, except for the Oats n Honey, which is unscented.

Full soap log and in the mold shots

This pic is for Raving Rosemary, see how I got soda ash on the corner? That's where my plastic wrap wasn't firmly pushed down and didn't adhere to the raw soap! Shame on me!

Oily skin bar--I haven't made this in a while, but it is Tea Tree oil with lots of Bentonite clay and I threw in some apricot kernel meal, which is a very soft exfoliant (not to be confused with apricot shell powder, which is pretty harsh). I used a silly mp mold and then ended up squishing the corners a wee bit when I got lazy and cut it with my log cutter. They are giant, if uniquely shaped bars lol!

Classic Lavender--I always color this with a bit of a purple swirl. 40/42 Lavender Essential Oil...and a touch of honey! I only put a tiny bit in, maybe 2 tablespoons for a 24 bar batch, so it wouldn't discolor

Oats n Honey--I used to make two versions of this, one unscented and one with Oats n Honey fragrance. Now I pretty much only make the unscented version because it is awesome and the honey smell is faint but warm and fragrant! Lots of ground oatmeal for super gentle skin exfoliation

Lemongrass-Eucalyptus--Lemongrass is a great fragrance, lemony, but earthier than citrus. A touch of eucalpytus makes this a great wake up bar. I colored it with yellow and green swirls but they got kind of muddy.

And my spring specialty!

Gardener's Scrub--This bar is ridiculously packed full of goodies! A complicated amount of eo's that I blend slightly differently every time so that each batch is unique (or because I get a) slightly all mad scientist in the soap kitchen, or b) I forget what I used last time). This batch has sweet orange, peppermint, lime, lemon eucalyptus, basil, and possibly some other things I've forgotten. The exfoliants are white poppy seeds, dried calendula, apricot kernel meal, and lots of orange peel powder. It's a super giant bar to hold all of those goodies (or I ran out of my regular sized molds and just used a bigger one) and I always cut this batch with a wavy cutter for funzies (or because I couldn't find the straight cutter).

And one of these with my regular size bars, which are 3.5 x 2.5 x 1 inches (approx) and around 4.5 ounces by weight. I think these big ones must be about 3.25 x 3.25 x1.25 and probably weigh at least 6 ounces?

Whew! As if that is not enough, now Nymeria is telling me I need to make some more swap for the CP soap swap. I guess I can handle two more batches....  Grin
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010 12:42:49 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010 04:27:20 AM »

What a great batch of soaps. I like 'em all, but I have to say that the gardeners' soap looks delish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010 06:47:00 AM »

ummmmm...perfect! I love the scent combos..I NEED to get some lemongrass..seems like a good blender oil!!

what did you use for the purple colorant??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010 07:55:06 AM »

Thanks for the tip!  I've been covering with plastic wrap pretty religiously now (when it doesn't interfere with whatever weird texture I put on top) and it works like a dream!  Still have to sit down with some rubbing alcohol to clean up the old stuff, though.

I didn't know honey discolored!  How much do you use?  I've got an unscented milk, oatmeal & honey bar (the culprit with the horrible-looking ash, in fact), and you can smell the oats pretty strongly, but not the honey.  (Also, didn't grind the oats--they're really big and the BF complains that they're scratchy.  Oh well.  It was one of my first batches.  I'll chalk it up to learning.)

The gardener's scrub bar and the bentonite clay bar look incredible.  Soap envy!  & as always, love your swirls!  (I know you said the green got muddy, but it looks very springlike to me.)  Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010 08:25:39 AM »

Wow! I wish I could smell them! They look beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010 09:22:03 AM »

Whew! As if that is not enough, now Nymeria is telling me I need to make some more swap for the CP soap swap. I guess I can handle two more batches....  Grin

*crack the whip* Grin

As I've said before, you can totally use any soap you've made within the last month! These look amazing! My favorite is the lemongrass eucalyptus. I really like the muddy green color. Smiley

Awesome work, as usual!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010 01:47:11 PM »

Thanks guys!

Racky--please don't eat the soap! Remember, it just smells delicious, tastes not so much.

Smitten--I just use purple pigment. It's my standby! I do about 1/2 a teaspoon per pound of base oils. So if I'm only coloring half a 6 lb oil batch I do 1 1/2 teaspoons for the 3 lb part I am going to swirl.

Rosemary--Yep, honey is a superheater like milk so it is going to discolor to a tan/brown/dark orange depending on how much you use and how hot it gets. If you manage to get it to not gel it won't discolor hardly at all. I didn't use nearly enough honey in the oats n honey batch as I like. For a 24 bar batch I think about 3/4 cup is good? I probably only used 1/2 a cup. And for the Lavender you can't really smell the honey at all right now, maybe it will come out in during the cure?

kittykill--come on over and sniff away! You know where I live Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
goodmorningstarshine
Your face, your race, the way that you talk, I kiss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk

Addicted to craft stores...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010 06:12:09 PM »

Lemongrass...Eucalyptus....

I want to smell this so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things to store everything in there
And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
I never thought I'd need so many people
snowbird49908

crazy looks good on me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010 01:03:06 AM »

I think my favorite is the lemon grass. It makes me sad I only have the patience/time/room to do melt and pour soap
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All That I'm After Is A Life Full Of Laughter
As Long As I'm Laughing With You
donnevita

I reject your reality and subsitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010 05:05:34 AM »

I tried a lemongrass soap at a posh hotel I stayed at for a hens night and one of the very few things I remember from that night was not being fussed with the smell... Am I strange for not liking lemongrass? I like the way the colours look in that soap though!

Is the oily skin soap for face or body?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dont do what you cant undo, until youve considered what you cant do once youve done it." - Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

http://bubbleswithlub.blogspot.com/

http://www.bubbleswithlub.etsy.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Ebru
The Art of Turkish Calligraphy
The Art of Recycled African Culture Puppets
Learn about Recycled Art and Beadworks
The Art of Recycled Materials
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...