A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Empty kitty litter pails  (Read 2459 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SexiSadi
« on: May 04, 2005 06:32:26 PM »

Hey, I have three cats.  Which means I buy A LOT of kitty litter.

Anyhow, I have all these plastic kitty litter pails left over (they are the 30 pound buckets).  Aside from the usual trash can/scrap buckets.  What could I do with them (And to be honest, I don't really need them, but seems a shame to keep throwing them out).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Malibukasey
If your stomach feels weak then, my work here is done

(::) (::)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005 07:02:45 PM »

Cut a mouth out of the front and make them into bird feeders. Decorate them really pretty, add birdseed and wah-lah! Also you can take them and make them into a colony of birdhouses, except a little more voyueristic! Screw them onto a pole and stake it in your backyard. Hey Im sure even your cats would enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

damaged_paperdoll
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005 07:04:41 PM »

I actually use the old pails to throw the poo away in.  Which keeps the smell down until it's full   Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005 07:21:36 PM by damaged_paperdoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

shade72
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005 07:20:56 PM »

i actually wash them out and use them to store craft items, mostly rolls of fabric. ya know, big stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005 07:33:53 PM »

Well, we have 6 cats. Yeah. So, not only lots of kitty litter but also lots of cat food.
We took one of those 35 lb litter buckets, put a trash bag in it, took one of those huge bags of food that are a lot cheaper but that go stale, put the food from it into the trash bag in the bucket, and voila! No more stale food, and no more big bags of food falling over.

I also buy a lot of bird seed for my backyard feeder and I plan to use one or two of the litter pails to store that in so it'll be in something sturdier than a plastic bag and so I can actually keep it outside and not in my way in the kitchen. I like Malibukasey's idea too, I may have to steal that one.

Probably would be good for potting soil or mulchy stuff too, if that's something you use. You can get those huge bags of clothes detergent at places like Costco and Sam's which, like the cat food and birdseed, is nice because it's cheaper but also a pain because of trying to store it. I see no reason why you couldn't put that in the pails if you've rinsed them out and dried them well. (I just had that idea as I was typing and I can't believe I haven't thought of it before. That big detergent bag is such a pain.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

derfy5
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005 09:17:28 AM »

If you ever dye fabric, those big plastic kitty litter bucets can be a handy container to dye the fabric in.  Just rinse them out before you use them.  But they work pretty good for dye, especially if you want to do tie-dye and have more than one color.  3 Containers = 3 dye baths and you don't have to worry if the dye stains the plastic, because you can either use it again or just throw it away.  I used kitty litter containers a couple times in the past.

Of course, there's also the standard Girl Scout usage for any large plastic lidded container - the sit-upon.  attach a plastic cushion to the lid and use the bucket for storage on camping trips, sit on the cushioned lid and you've got some good times! of course it depends on how big the container is, but as a long time girl scout, we were always looking for good containers that could be sit-upons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005 12:00:57 PM »

You know. It just occurs to me that if you use the really big buckets, like the 35 lb kind or anything, that you could probably cut a hole for a door like Malibukasey suggested, only make it a lot bigger and your cats would probably enjoy playing in them. It would be like one those expensive cat houses. Put a small cushion or piece of soft or maybe furry fabric inside it, maybe line it with carpet scraps for scratching post material if they might use that (mine never do, they always use the couch  Roll Eyes ) and perhaps another cushion on top for another cat to lie on.

Another thought for the larger ones - building on derfy5's suggestion for the sit upon - spraypaint them, mosaic them with sea glass/shells/half marbles/etc, fill them with something heavy, such as rocks or sand or something, add a weather proof cushion to the top, and you've got some lovely one of a kind outdoor stools.

Edited to fix grammar.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005 12:03:43 PM by quack » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pibbgirl
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005 12:09:15 PM »

I go through so many of the 40 lb buckets!  I usually give mine to my mom and she uses them for hauling water out to the animals.  They're starting to build up though, I've got 3 waiting for something to be done with them right now so these ideas are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SexiSadi
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005 07:05:58 AM »

Great ideas all!

I don't have a garden, so garden ideas/bird feeders are out (Although, i'll keep them in mind when I can hopefully buy a house this summer).

I kinda got the idea to put some yellow felt around it, and paint a face and call it the "Spongebob Squarepants toy box".  My cousin, who isn't quite 2 yet would love it.  I went to a few different fabric stores yesterday, and of course, they were out of yellow felt.  Grrr!  Must be a big seller this time of year. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m-lissa
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005 10:17:49 AM »

This is how I use my empty kitty litter pails. This is a cheap, durable, waterproof pannier for my bicycle. It can also double as a stool when I'm off the bike and need a place to sit.

If anyone is interested I will write up a tutorial on it. They are REALLY easy to make!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 10:19:24 AM by m-lissa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maya Romanoff Receives a Lifetime Achievement Award
Visit the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center
Grange Insurance Audubon Center: Interior
Case Study: Grange Insurance Audubon Center
COLOUR ONE Exihibt Setup by Scholten and Baijing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...