A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!! Trying to choose a new sewing machine  (Read 645 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katestonecypher

I always thought pickles came from a pickle bush..

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2010 03:50:19 PM »

So I know this isnt really the proper board for this post, but I know that this one is more frequently visited and I need feedback ASAP

Im pregnant in my second trimester and rapidly outgrowing my clothes, so I need a new sewing machine like NOW

[needle broke on my ancient cast-iron vintage hand-me-down singer, plus it had a whole other host of problems and was never really able to complete a satisfactory project without major trial, error and frustration, so I figured I deserve something a little more modern. just didn't feel like going through the effort to refurbish it, don't want to deal with it anymore.]

My price range is under $90 , preferably under $85 or $80. I pretty much just want to sew simple, comfortable spring/summertime dresses, so I don't need anything industrial or fancy. just something that sews.

I'm not super experienced with machines but I know enough, I'm actually better at hand-sewing.

Anyway, the main two I am looking at are:

#1: Brother LS2125I 10-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine with Automatic 4-Step Buttonholer http://www.amazon.com/Brother-LS2125I-10-Stitch-Automatic-Buttonholer/dp/B000EOX28E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269988965&sr=8-2

#2: Brother XL2600I 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine with Multiple Stitch Functions
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XL2600I-25-Stitch-Free-Arm-Functions/dp/B000F7DPEQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269989024&sr=8-3

I'm also considering a mini-sew, and holding out on a bigger one until my wedding in june, since I registered for both of those brothers and my parents have expressed desire to get me a sewing machine. [especially since they are much cheaper] But I don't know what the general feedback on those are? These are the mini-sews I'm looking at:

#1: Michley LSS-202 Lil' Sew & Sew Mini 2-Speed Sewing Machine
http://www.amazon.com/Michley-LSS-202-2-Speed-Sewing-Machine/dp/B0021L931S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269989024&sr=8-4

#2: Michley LSS-208 Lil' Sew & Sew Mini 2-Speed Sewing Machine
http://www.amazon.com/Michley-LSS-208-2-Speed-Sewing-Machine/dp/B001UIIRO2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269989217&sr=8-17

Also considering these:

#1: Singer LockStitch 2000 Sewing Machine
http://www.amazon.com/Singer-LockStitch-2000-Sewing-Machine/dp/B000JD5B4S/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269989217&sr=8-27

#2: Singer Portable Sewing Machine - 2250
http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Portable-Sewing-Machine-2250/dp/B0018KVLYK/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269989217&sr=8-28

Feedback will be much appreciated. I'd really like to have one ordered by the end of this week, because I am rapidly outgrowing my clothes and if you've ever been pregnant, I'm sure you understand that tight jeans are massively uncomfortable and can be dangerous.

Thankyou!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewCZgal
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010 08:38:38 PM »

My recommendation is to, no matter what, NOT get a mini-sew anything. I never used one but from what I heard you outgrow them very quickly...and usually they're not built sturdily enough.
Go as expensive as you can, and simple but sturdy makes for better sewing. You only really need straight stitch with length regulator, 1 or 2 zig zag stitches and a buttonhole to make pretty much everything. Both Singer and Brother are easy to find accessories for, never heard of Mishley or what's it called.

Good luck, best wishes and congrats on baby and wedding Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010 08:52:13 PM »

I have and brother LS-2125i and so far so good Smiley I got it for Christmas a couple years ago as my first sewing machine so it didn't need to be fancy for me. I've had it since 06 and it's worked well for me so far. Sometimes it likes to eat my thread but I think that's more my error than the machine's. I does basic stitches, zig zag, and buttons and zippers but I haven't tried or figured out the last two yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
soorawn
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010 11:45:49 PM »

Stay away from minis.  You don't want to spend, let's say $25 (to say something) only to discover ten minutes after the purchase that you cannot sew anything at all.  That's only $25 wasted, you still haven't been able to do anything, and you've wasted time as well.
I have used them, several models.  I'd rather sew all my clothing by hand rather than spend a penny on one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Tom And Jerry
How to Sketch Squidward
How to Sketch Mr. Krabs
How to Sketch Stewie
How to Draw Homer Simpson
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...