A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber packaging and vertical display ideas  (Read 2807 times)
Tags for this thread: display  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 29, 2010 02:05:25 PM »

I have three craft sale issues:

1.  I sell lots of different things.  I do needlefelted sculptures (which I plan to extend to felted 3-d wall art for my next sale), and pendants, and just started selling drum-carded fiber batts.   Right now I use two four foot tables, that are different heights, in order to create a visual separation of my different items.   I dont want to cut anything out, because at one sale one type of thing can be selling out and the others are not being touched, and vice versa.  It's really impossible to predict what will be the hot item at each sale.  But now that I have three types of things instead of just the two, I'm having trouble arranging them in a cohesive way.  The only thing I can think of is to create more levels on the table space, which brings me to my next issue:

2.  I need to figure out some vertical display ideas.  The things I sell are not hangable and need to be set on a flat surface.  I am thinking something like wooden crates or cubbies or shelving, but I dont want things to be too closed off (i.e. crates with four sides) as I dont generally have access to extra lighting, or the display to look to naked/sparse, if that makes sense.

3.  I need a way to display fiber batts in a way that they will not be excessively touched or handled.  At this weekends sale I put a sign up asking people to not touch them, but it went disregarded quite often, or else people didn't read it until they had already touched, and then felt bad. I tried gallon-ziploc bags, but they dont quite fit, and it looks pretty tacky.

Here is what my display has looked like, minus the fiber batts, the two tables are next two each other, I couldnt fit them in one screen:

Any ideas?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

_teacup_
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010 04:11:55 PM »

First, I'd say your current display is quite appealing! I want to get closer to your items and inspect them.

Second, for the batts: Maybe you could bring a bifold wall/door, set it up behind you, and attach the batts to it? That way they could see but not touch them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sum1smuma
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010 05:22:02 PM »

Amazing that there is never rhyme nor reason for what sells at which sale!?!

A cheap solution could be more various size boxes covered with fabric. Or those stepped shelves From Home stores (Bed bath and beyond has them for spice bottles etc). Using Foam core you could make these with a utility knife and straight pins to hold them together ( professional merchandisers use these for all small items in displays). You can cover these  with paper or fabric.

You could color block your three types of items to separate visually. It is a pain but try things until you find what works for you. I also recommend looking for used display racks and such from a dealer in your area. Often they are cheap and the prices are negotiable.
Good luck at the next sale and may it be profitable!~  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
CamOovas

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010 09:05:31 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions- I like the idea of having the batts in the back, but like I said, they aren't hangable and would need to sit on a flat surface.   I'm thinking a bi-fold door with shelves built in might be do-able....

Where would one start asking around for used display racks?  I keep an eye out at rummage sales/thrift stores and such, but so far, no luck.

Using Foam core you could make these with a utility knife and straight pins to hold them together ( professional merchandisers use these for all small items in displays).

I really like that idea!  I'm surprised I didn't think of it myself, I go through so much foam core. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010 09:07:27 AM by CamOovas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thegreengriffin
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010 09:28:00 AM »

i would suggest putting a little of everything out at first, then rearrange with more of what you need after you see whats popular then.  a lot of people are hesitant to rearrange during the day, but it can really help, and customers love seeing you take new stuff out in front of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMalaprop
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010 04:48:25 PM »

I was also going to recommend fabric covered boxes. If you use boxes to transport your goods to the show, you can use those same boxes, and just get some tablecloths and smaller pieces of fabric that you can drape over them.

I recently heard about the EZ Display, which I really want: http://www.ezdisplay.com/ It's $73, so it might not be worth it unless you do shows regularly, but it seems like a good way to get some height and put a lot of products out at varying levels without having to transport some massive display to and from your shows.

My boyfriend built me a display shelf that works pretty well for me and breaks down for transport, using some plywood and PVC pipe and joints found at the hardware store. I keep meaning to get him to write a tutorial on how he did it. It was pretty easy though, just cutting pipe to the right sizes and then sticking it all together with the joints and then screwing a wood shelf on top of each shelf. (It's the black and blue shelf on the left of the picture below.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010 08:15:01 AM »

That EZ display looks interesting... not for $73 though.  But is good inspiration for building something similar.  My mom actually had a clear acrylic display case sitting around that is pretty much perfect for my sculptures.  I should have thought to ask her about that years ago... she has everything.   So now my plan is to scavenge closing businesses and see if I can find more for cheap.  Even used though they are pretty expensive.  I'll post pics of what I end up doing for my next show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMalaprop
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010 09:42:47 PM »

Sometimes you can find good deals on random retail displays on Craigslist. The "business" and "free" sections will sometimes turn up useful things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010 11:51:28 AM »

Here is my most recent sale, getting closer to what I want:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMalaprop
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010 07:00:17 PM »

The new display looks nice! I like your clear shelving unit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate with Slips and Carvings - Part 2
How to use the Millefiori Technique
How to make a Double Wall Vessel
How to Decorate a Bisque with Red Iron Oxide
How to make 3D tiles
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...