A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The onigiri purse! Small, delicious, portable!  (Read 5123 times)
Tags for this thread: purse , onigiri  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hyper-Piston
« on: March 29, 2010 04:33:48 AM »

I don't upload much here, I'm much more a stalker, but I thought this was kinda fun<3

Recently, right before the local anime and manga convention (aka, when I'm going psycho either trying to finish art or costumes), my friend and I were chatting about a bento lunch we were going to work on. I never ended up getting to make mine, but I figure this counts. I make onigiri (rice balls) often enough, but haven't ever crocheted one.
I told her, a fellow crocheter, she should make an onigiri bag. She refused!
So I picked up yarn and whipped this up for her instead XD

The strap turned out longer than I would've liked, but oh well. It's got a little metal ring (the keychain sort) on either side to separate the strap from the onigiri bag itself.
I don't use purses, I don't like them, but I thought this would be a very pursey thing to do, so there you have it XD
The bag was crocheted in one solid piece, with the nori (black seaweed) separate and sewn on, along with the umeboshi (red pickled plum). I personally love the umeboshi; it's cute AND functional, since it serves as a sort of nob for the loop to hold the bag closed. The purse is small already so it didn't seem like that big of a deal, but it helps. I made it have sort of a ledge thing but if I made it again, I would make it more defined to it retains the tension on the loop better. It slips off after much use but the bag still holds closed, so as long as you're not wildly flailing about, you're fine rofl.
The umeboshi is crocheted with DMC thread, by the way.

The inside, lined with fleece.

My dad, "modeling" it. It's not that big, but just right for small objects like your cell phone and wallet and keys etc.

Hope you like Cheesy

(sorry for being so wordy. Most of this is taken from my craftblog, carouselcute.blogspot.com)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010 04:37:14 AM by Hyper-Piston » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Imagine
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010 04:53:10 AM »

Nice! Even if you don't like purses, this is perfect for conventioning: costumes don't always have pockets, and you need your wallet in these things with all the cute stuff being sold! This purse would be perfect with a Fruits Basket costume!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hyper-Piston
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010 05:13:08 AM »

Nice! Even if you don't like purses, this is perfect for conventioning: costumes don't always have pockets, and you need your wallet in these things with all the cute stuff being sold! This purse would be perfect with a Fruits Basket costume!  Cheesy
Thanks! That's what I was thinking too. Wanna know the funny thing? At the con was Tohru's voice actress Cheesy She told my friend she really liked it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chrislea
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010 06:19:18 AM »

SO cute!  An innocent little onigiri could seamlessly blend into cosplay, too - no more looking around for somebody to hold your purse while people take your photograph!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flia
Purple butterfly

Yarn, pearls, thread, pearls, yarn, yarn, yarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010 06:41:40 AM »

I haven't got the slightest clue what you're talking about....  Cheesy

But the purse looks really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belruel

I heart-hands you

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010 06:58:08 AM »

omgosh it is adorable and a great idea! I think I must make one eventually! probably really small though, a coin purse version!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just joined Ravelry, let's be friends?
My Wists
NinjaCylon

What? What! What?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010 08:45:31 AM »

CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!!

I wanna make one now, haha..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly.... timey-wimey.... stuff."
MissCraftyFingers
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010 08:46:35 AM »

kawaii Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unimatrix-0
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010 03:00:47 PM »

This is a wonderful bag!  I would love to make something like this!  Creative and great, this is making me crave some rice balls now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagine
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010 08:00:29 PM »

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too. Wanna know the funny thing? At the con was Tohru's voice actress Cheesy She told my friend she really liked it!
Ha! Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
OMG With RJS: How to Apply Airbrush Makeup
Which of These Weird Beauty Remedies Would You Try?
How to Apply False Lashes Like a Pro
How to Get Shay Mitchell’s Daytime Smoky Eye
Back-to-School Makeup Mistakes You Can’t Afford to Make
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...