A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap and crafty Scrabble set  (Read 1005 times)
Tags for this thread: board_game , scrabble  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dustyfro
« on: March 28, 2010 10:29:41 PM »

I like to think this is my English major Scrabble game: for people who like words and don't have any money Wink

I found the Scrabble board (and box) at the recycled arts and crafts store, but SOMEONE had taken all the pieces (I'm looking at YOU Craftsters!)  But no worries!  The store also sold mat board, a straight edge, and a white gel pen.

Items needed:
Scrabble board (I suppose you could also make your own), utility knife or (much preferred) a paper cutter that cuts mat board, pencil, straight edge, ruler, cutting board

crayon or pastel crayon, pen, alphabet printed out in your favorite font

1. Use the ruler and straight edge to measure and mark the size of the tiles (they are 3/4" tall and 11/16" wide, at least that's how I measured them from the spaces on the board).
2. Use the straight edge and utility knife or a paper cutter to cut long strips, then individual tiles.  You will need 100 in all, but you'll want to plan for screw ups like the straight edge getting out of square.

3. If using a utility knife, give your poor sore hands a rest and draw some letters on

4. The Scrabble board has the number of each lettered tile that should be in the set.  Because my mat board was black, I used a white pastel on the back of my printed alphabet, and traced around the edges with the pencil to transfer the outline.  I used a see through cutting board and a lamp on the floor to make sure I positioned the letter right on each tile.  
5. Color in the outline with a gel pen.  You could also use small stencils and paint for this.
6. Go back to cutting out the rest of the tiles.  Draw the letters on.
7. Play!  

I'm going to have to look up what the point values of each letter are and write them on.  I might make another set on white mat board with colored pens.

Next up: I lost my RISK game a few years ago, and I miss it dearly.  I think my map of the world needs recrafting!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010 10:44:01 PM by dustyfro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
chicanapunk84
I like my vodka like I like my men, hard and cheap!

Craft or dye!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010 01:14:59 AM »

Well I am guilty of using scrabble pieces in my crafts. Undecided Good job on your tiles, and I'm looking forward to your take on RISK. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They'll say just let her crash and burn she'll learn
The attention just encourages her
Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010 02:48:03 AM »

Next up: I lost my RISK game a few years ago, and I miss it dearly.  I think my map of the world needs recrafting!

I couldn't help but smile when I read this. I am a trainee-teacher, and in my last school, I came across some serious crafting. The pupils (16-17) had made their own Risk, on a notice board on one of the walls. Childish, but a brilliant idea nonetheless. They used simple coloured pins to show off which countries they had already conquered and a plastic box (something like that) to put in the dice. I LOVED it!

Btw, great work, and good luck on that Risk :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Hair Brightener For Sunkissed Locks
Simple Steps to Saving Your Hair Color This Summer
How to Create a Simple Chignon
Best Of Hair Products For Curly Hair and Post Swimming
3 Easy Summer Hair Style Trends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...