A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 303,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question on how to make a metal wax seal pendant, WITHOUT PMC  (Read 23219 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
hello color!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010 09:19:44 AM »

fraoch, fine silver is PMC - so, make a blob, stamp, and fire.
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010 12:55:17 AM »

I have some experience with both coil solder and soldering irons and with jewellery solder and a torch.

I would strongly suspect they are using solder with a torch. Bear in mind that solder for jewellery comes in different grades, easy solder is the one that melts the quickest at the lowest temperature which is what you would need. The brass stamps will continue to heat up with the temperature of the solder but solder (and in particular easy solder) will melt much much sooner than your seal Cheesy. I would suggest alternating your seals so they have time to cool down between stamps.

You may need a release agent for the seal so it doesn't stick to the solder. You could try graphite powder. It's basically pencil lead ground up super fine to the consistency of talc. Or use straight out talcum powder which is a common release agent for low melt alloys like pewter. Dust a little onto your seal before each stamping and it should release better.

If you have access to a creme brulee/kitchen butane torch, give that a go with the coil solder. Of course, prepare your area well with a heat proof block so you don't burn anything down Tongue. I have no idea if coil solder from the hardware store comes in easy medium and hard grades but it wouldn't hurt to ask. If you are interested in pursuing the idea track down a metal merchant close to you where you can buy silver solder and even pewter casting rods. Pewter would be great, just cut a little chunk, heat and stamp. It pools beautifully and graphite/talc is a great release agent. Much cheaper than solder too.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions just let me know.

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010 01:32:57 AM »

I came to say what eternallyeve just said. as for the colour there are aging agents that make it lose shine and give it the blackness that some of these pendants have. I can;t for the life of me think of what to call that stuff right now so maybe someone else can chime in with that?

WWP Samhain swap sent(partner recieved!)
OTMT sent recieved & feedback recieved
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010 02:39:20 AM »

Veganistmum, the official material is liver of sulphur but it has a short shelf life, is stinky and is found with jewellery supplies.

A cheaper and easier way is to 1. pop your silver pieces in a ziplock bag with a freshly hard-boiled egg yolk, smush it around a bit and pull out the silver when it is has the required patina. 2. use regular household bleach for the same effect.

Apparently lime sulfur from a garden store can be used like liver of sulfur, but be aware they are both chemicals that need to be mixed properly and require safety equipment when handling.

There are a few easy ways to patina silver, just do a google search and be aware of safety requirements.

Good luck!

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's

A house without glitter is - boring.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010 05:26:19 PM »

It sounds like there are a lot of different ways to make something that looks like this. But I'm with Diane on this; I think polymer clay is the easiest way.

I'm paraphrasing what someone else here has said about a different medium: Condition (knead) the clay, make a blob with it, coat your seal with cornstarch or water (to act as a release so it won't stick to the clay), then press your seal into the clay blob. Remove the seal, bake the clay, then when it's cooled, cover it with a mica powder or maybe metallic paint. And you're done.

If you need a hole for a jump ring (if you're not going to glue a bail on the back) you can use a tapestry needle or something similar to poke a hole in the clay before you bake it; just be careful not to distort the impression (and if you do, just reknead the clay and start all over!). Or you can do it afterward with a hand drill; Diane will know more about this that I do. I always did my holes before baking because it was easier.

I hope that helps. At least it gives you another option. Good luck, and post some pictures of your finished items.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010 04:24:56 AM »

I work in Stained Glass, and I think that you would have some luck with Silvergleam. Getting a big blob that you could press into wouldn't be difficult. I think your main issue would be the stamping. Make sure you're not using copper and flux togther, or you're going to have a serious problem.

Don't use the stuff you get a hardware stores, it's horrible to work with.

I would heat it up, get a nice blob and press your seal into it. Let it harden and see what you think. You'll have to test the hardness of it, to make sure that it's hard enough to put up with daily wear and tear. I've used it in pendants, but not as a pendant, but so far have had no issues.

Good luck!

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010 09:46:54 PM »

I made a tutorial.

I decided to mess around and see if I could make one. Now, it was my first attempt, and I think I could get it better, but overall, I think this is the process that she is using to make these.

I made a video... you can find it on my blog here: http://themusefactory.blogspot.com/2010/08/tutorial-and-giveaway.html

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010 06:40:35 PM »

Thank you everyone! I think my issue was electrical solder, and using the iron instead of the blowtorch. I'm going to try and track down some stainedglass solder and pewter and jewelery solder to figure out which is best..

I really appreciate everyone's advice and help!

Leather Bags & Accessories: www.divina-denuevo.com
Jewelry made with antique pocket watch parts and vintage hardware: www.piecesof2.com
Photography: www.divinaimages.com
Etsy Shops: /divinadesigns /piecesofii /divinaimages
Flickr: www.flickr.com/divinaimages and www.flickr.com/divinadenuev
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sandra Chapman Shares Brain Exercises from Her Book Make Your Mind Smarter
Hoda Kotb on Her New Book Ten Years Later
Holly Goddard Jones Discusses Her Novel The Next Time You See Me
How to Write a Novel
How to Become a Freelance Writer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...