A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Diaper Monkey **Now with Tutorial**  (Read 34062 times)
Tags for this thread: diaper_animal , baby_shower , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Andrea Ravioli
« on: March 28, 2010 12:32:45 AM »

I was invited to a baby shower by a girl at work, unfortunately I was unable to go. I saw a monkey made out of diapers on here a while back and fell absolutely in love!!! I tried my hand at it and I think it came out pretty cute. I decided to leave it on her desk at work Friday before her shower to surprise her! I was please to find out that they used at as a center piece for the gift table at the shower!  Although, there were some people at the shower/work who mistook it for a cow  Cry
This is the little guy sitting on my couch!

On her desk at work..

His diaper..

For the Diaper Monkey  you will need:
About 30 diapers of your choice (stay away from the blanket soft diapers... See post above)
About 4 wire hangers
Scuncii clear elastic bands (you can get them in the hair brush aisle at k*mart... I used the package that had two sizes in it... I used the bigger sizes for the body and the smaller sizes for the smaller rolled diapers)
4 pairs of baby socks
2 binkies
2 bibs
2 diaper pins
1 washcloth (for the diaper)
Colored Play rings (sorry dont know official name)
Paper White, Black & Blue (or Pink for a girl)
Optional:
Small Monkey Toy
Extra bag of diapers
FYI: Most of these items I picked up at K*mart. They had a pretty good selection of monkey items. At the time I was living in Guam so that was really my only option anyway. Also, I picked up the socks at Ross; it was a lot cheaper there they had a 5 pack of baby socks so I lucked out! It never hurts to check out places like that to save yourself some $$$.

1.)Start off by forming your wire hangers. I curved mine into a U shape so that it would form both arms and both legs. Start rolling your diapers and threading them on. (dont open the diapers, just roll them from either top to bottom or bottom to top) I think by the time I was finished I had about 11 diapers threaded onto my wire. You want an uneven number of diapers on the wire.  (you also want to do this for a tail.. I wasnt able to figure out how to attach the tail to the body  Undecided)

2.) Next take 2 diapers and open them. Place them over the center diaper on each wire.
3.) Next youre going to take one wire and place it above the other wire. The tops of the diapers should be top to top, next insert the diapers into one another.

4.)   Now youre going to take another diaper and open it. Wrap it around the center of both diapers. I think I did this twice or even 3 times, to make the body look like the right shape. Take your larger elastic bands and put them around the body.

5.)   Okay now lets set that aside and work on the head. Take out 3 more diapers. Lay two of them on top of each other.  Take the 3rd diaper and roll it (like you did for the arms and legs) stick it inside the top diaper at the bottom. This is to make the nose & mouth look like a monkeys (sticking out) Now take a large elastic and put it around the two diapers where the snout part should start. 

6.) Start decorating the head. Cut out eyes, a nose and place socks for ears. For the sock ears, I took a piece of thin cardboard and folded it in half and placed a piece in each ear. I took an elastic band and put it at the bottom of the ear so they would stay. I formed the socks so it looked like he had little wrinkles in his ear. I placed them in between the two diapers. I honestly dont remember how I got it to stay. I did a lot of playing around with the elastic bands. (sorry!) Take your binkie next. I wrapped an elastic band over the nipple part of the binkie. I took another elastic band and attached it to the one on the nipple (like a knot). Then I took the attached band and wrapped it around the bottom diaper. I tried to do it up on the head though so that you couldnt tell it was attached.  To attach the head I took another piece of wire and slid it up through the rubber band that made the snout and placed it in the diapers that were wrapped around the body. (See step 4)

7.) See Photo #7

8.) Now, this is the fun part. Take your socks and place over the hands & Feet of the monkey. Also on the end of his tail. I put a bib around his neck. Place his little stuff animal under his arm. I took his colored play rings and attached them to each other. With the leftover stuff I put it in the rings.. the other binkie, the other pair of socks, and the other bib. Then I set him on her desk on top of a new bag of diapers. (just in case she didnt want to use the ones to make the monkey)

I hope I didnt leave anything out or confuse anyone, if you have any problems or questions, PM me and Ill help you the best I can. Oh and sorry about how long it took to do a tute! I think Ill be making another one of these guys soon, so when I do Ill take pictures for even better detail. Good luck all!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010 02:01:02 PM by Andrea Ravioli - Reason: Now with Tutorial! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Polka Dot!
I've already earned 75 dollars in Amazon gift cards all for just using this search engine-- NO CATCH! PM me if you have any questions! Smiley
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/AndreaRavioli
MadGypsy
Crazy new age art nerd hippie love lunatic

I love artists. You are my people.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010 01:30:59 AM »

omg my sister in law is having her baby shower in may and her theme is monkeys!! I would LOVE to know how you put this together. So very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See the happy moron, he doesn't give a damn. I wish I could be a moron. My God! Perhaps I am!

http://madgypsy.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/madgypsy
http://madgypsystudio.blogspot.com/

I love personal swaps
lilyella
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010 02:00:38 AM »

he is adorable.... i'd love to have one of these as a baby shower gift... definately a funky monkey more than a cow! xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wendiek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010 02:57:23 AM »

He's very cute! She will be sorry to use the diapers... Smiley

And whoever mistakes the monkey for a cow, has to go to a farm and take a good look at a real cow...  Wink

It is a nice gift, well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FairyWings
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010 05:12:28 AM »

it's awesome! and does NPT look liek a cow. they musta have been serving alcohol at that baby shower.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iuliasuavis
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010 08:06:19 AM »

What a great idea. She must have loved it when she saw it at work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-iuliasuavis
I am a library school student- follow me to hear about books and other fun-related things!
http://twitter.com/iuliasuavis
Mizell
Give me yarn or give me death!

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010 08:10:31 AM »

what a cute idea! i love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One year of marriage and he's still alive!!
Personal Swaps Are Go
Crafty detective swap:sending soon
Alphabet inchies: sent
Frugal swap 2: signed up
yarnies vs sewists: awaiting partners
http://www.wists.com/cmizell
Blog: everyone else has one! http://knitkitsch.blogspot.com/
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010 08:11:36 AM »

very neat! Can the diapers still be used?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Mizell
Give me yarn or give me death!

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010 08:15:58 AM »

that's a good question!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One year of marriage and he's still alive!!
Personal Swaps Are Go
Crafty detective swap:sending soon
Alphabet inchies: sent
Frugal swap 2: signed up
yarnies vs sewists: awaiting partners
http://www.wists.com/cmizell
Blog: everyone else has one! http://knitkitsch.blogspot.com/
Andrea Ravioli
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010 01:48:29 AM »

very neat! Can the diapers still be used?
Well, when I made this little guy I had my Bf buy me the diapers and he picked out pampers blanket soft newborn diapers (or something of that nature). So when I was putting them together they kind of started to look used a little bit just from handling them so much. I was upset over it, so that's why when I sat him on her desk, I sat him on another bag of diapers. Next time I wouldn't use those blanket soft ones! The diapers are all threaded onto wire hangers that have a white protective coating on them, so I don't know if she's going to choose to use them or not.

omg my sister in law is having her baby shower in may and her theme is monkeys!! I would LOVE to know how you put this together. So very cute.

I don't have pictures of putting together.. Although I should have bc I knew people would have wanted a tute! But I will Try my best to explain how I did it and the items I used. (I'll post another comment with everything  Smiley )

I'm so glad everyone liked it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Polka Dot!
I've already earned 75 dollars in Amazon gift cards all for just using this search engine-- NO CATCH! PM me if you have any questions! Smiley
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/AndreaRavioli
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Low Ponytails at the Dennis Basso Spring 2014 Show
WWJLD? Jared Leto Offers Hair Inspiration to Us All
The Best and Worst Dressed of the 2014 Grammys
The Best Hairstyles to Match Your Prom Dress
The Michel Mercier Detangling Brush Review
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...