A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making cinnamon buns  (Read 1322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sillymadeleine
« on: March 27, 2010 10:10:36 AM »

Yeah, so I am now determined to make the perfect fimo clay cinnamon buns. I want them for some cute hairpins that I ordered last week.

So far there have been two attepmts. First ones got too dark and I guess the second time they got too dark too but still much better. And just to make things worse, I now want them to be in paper cups. Since you probably can't buy muffin cups that small I decided to get extra-crafty and make them myself. I don't think I have to tell you that I FAILED...lol... Maybe I should just put them on some cut out lace instead.

Here are some pictures:

Next time I try this I will probably go with a little lighter shade on the clay so that you can actualy see the difference between the clay color and the parts that I brushed with crayon.

Any ideas on what I should do differently next time? More texture to make it more bread-like?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010 10:11:17 AM by Sillymadeleine » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010 03:19:49 PM »

They look pretty good to me already!... yum.

(If you want though, there are some tips on getting texture and color on miniature bread-type polymer items, and at least a way or two to make "liners," on this page of my site:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/miniatures.htm ...check out the Breads and Sweets categories.
If you want to look into using paper and liquid polymer clay, etc., for stiffness, you might also want to check out this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/mixing_media.htm ...click on Paper)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010 03:21:27 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Sillymadeleine
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010 03:07:48 AM »

Thank you for the links! I will go check it out more carefully now!

I would really want to try out using liquid clay, especially to make the icing on the buns look better. For icing I'm currently using glaze with some white chalk in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010 07:36:31 AM »

The only good way I know of making paper cups is to make a silicone mold of an electrical component called a "twist-on wire connector" that just happens to be the right shape and size (variety of sizes really) for cupcakes and wrappers.  The molds can be used to make cups, using them as a die and the connector as a tap, pressing the paper into the mold with the connector.  Wetting the paper a little makes it hold shape beautifully.

Here are my first attempts.  I can't find a punch the right size, so I have to use scissors... the edges aren't as clean as I'd like.

(the colored ones are thicker because they're pressed in sets of 5, I'm still working out my take on the technique)

I've made more since.  My OCD has really kicked in.  I've bought three different packs of full-size or candy size cups in the last four days because of this frenzy of mine.  Now to make cupcakes....

The connectors can be gotten in packs at hardware stores, for $2-4... the molding compound's the pricey part.  I got a (2oz?) pack of two-part silicone from Polymer Clay Express for about $8, I think.  By far the best price I've seen.  They have similar stuff in craft stores (usually in the soap or candle section), but it is single-step and costs more.  But like most things, it goes a long way with miniatures.  I made 4 cupcake molds and 6 raspberry molds and you'd hardly know I'd used any at all.  The containers still look essentially full.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 07:42:39 AM by Blitherypoop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010 07:40:54 AM »

I just checked your profile and you're in Sweden... but you can probably still find suppliers if you're interested.

The wire connectors look like this:

See how the bottom is shaped just right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sillymadeleine
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010 09:54:16 AM »

Thanks for the tip! I think I have something like those connectors in my tool box already...

Def have to try making them like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparrerbyrd
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010 03:04:40 PM »

*Gasp* I'm hungry for cinnabuns now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010 08:57:17 PM »

Oh those look so amazing! I think that lace would look spectacular!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydebs

Just too busy being fabulous!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010 01:03:52 PM »

These really do look good enough to eat.  I can't imagine how they could look any better.  For me personally I would like them as is for hair clip, earring, etc.  I love them!  Great idea on the icing too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven for thirty minutes before the devil even knows you are dead.- Old Irish Toast

http://wists.com/craftydebs
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dana Gynther Reflects on Crossing on the Paris
Emma Ward Performs Her Poem "Trains"
How to Get an ISBN
Actress Kara Hayward Reads an Excerpt from The Blessed
Discovering Abigail May Alcott with Eve LaPlante
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...