A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Epic bag and skirt tutorial - two crafts in one!  (Read 5234 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cxcaitlyn
« on: March 26, 2010 07:57:47 PM »

So I donít know if anyoneís done this before, but I didnít find a tutorial, so I decided to make one.

How to make a Skirt AND a tote bag, out of a skirt thatís half your size:
(This could probably work for a skirt thatís too big for you as well with your own modifications.)

You will need:

One thrift store full length skirt in a pattern you like, size doesnít really matter as long as it widens towards the bottom.
One coordinating t-shirt-size depends on you. I used a manís XL, needs to be long enough to be Ĺ your hips measurement from above bottom hem to below neckline.
Small amount of coordinating fabric Ė you could easily use scraps; need less than a Ĺ yard.
Interfacing (if desired)
General sewing supplies

To start, hold the skirt up to your body to decide where you would like the new waistline to start. Make sure the new section will be wide enough to fit around your hips if it is a smaller size; too large is ok. Mark the section, and lay flat on the ground.

Cut the skirt in two horizontally, cutting through both layers.

The top half becomes the bag, and the bottom the skirt.

Skirt Tutorial: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342541.0

Tote Bag Tutorial:

*In order to follow this tutorial according to my instruction for the lining portion, make sure the top of your skirt has a folded-over top edge on the inside. Look at the final photos of the lining to see what I mean*
First, lay the top portion of the skirt flat, and cut sides as desired. I left my edges tapered, but you can just as easily cut it square. Make sure youíre cutting off the zipper if there is one while you do this, or it could create problems later. Youíre aiming for two equal sized, hardware-free panels. Also, remove whatever tags you donít wish to have in the final bag with a seam ripper. I left the brand but took off the size.

Make sure you keep the scraps you cut! Itís easiest if you cut in large portions as opposed to smaller, because youíll be using those to make the handles.

For handles, if there is enough leftover use the scraps to make both sides of each handle. There wasnít enough for mine, so I used some of the leftover t-shirt from the skirt project to make the bottom side. There arenít any pics of this (donít ask me why Ė I apparently was spacing out), but I essentially folded the sides together and topstitched. Iím sure there probably good handle tutorials out there anyway, but maybe Iíll post pics when I make another one. If you donít have enough after cutting the sides off to make straps, you can always cut a couple inches off of the bottom and use that instead.

When you have made the straps, mark where youíd like the handles to go, and cut into the top edge of the panel with a seam ripper. The folded edge will hide the handle.

Sew where youíve pinned like this - [X], but on the outside only!! The flap should still beÖ.flappy.

It should look like this when youíve done that.

Mark the same section on the other panel, making sure itís even, and attach the second handle.
Next, youíll need to get your lining fabric and interfacing.

Youíll need enough interfacing to fit the whole outside panel, but your lining only needs to be enough to go a little past the bottom edge of the interior flap.

Put all the pieces for each side together, and cut 1 or 2 square inches of both corners. Doesnít matter what measurement really, as long as itís even.

When this is done, iron the interfacing on the back of the outside portion. Now is the time to embellish as you see fit. I painted some lovely snails, but you could embroider or do whatever. (Painting is best after interfacing, embroidery might be easier in a hoop before it? Try it.)

When your embellishments are dry/finished, you can proceed with the lining. Pin the bottom of the lining to the bottom of the outside, simply to keep it even while you pin the top. Pin the piece underneath the bottom of the flap, and sew over the stitching that is likely already there. You will have the remove the bottom pins to sew this, because it is only sewn to the inside, not the part with the interfacing!

If youíre fancy you could add a pocket before that step.

If you prefer a boxy tote, iron the edges like I have done here. If you prefer a rounded tote, skip this.

Pin ALL right sides together like I have done here:

Be very sure that the top edge is even with each piece or the bag will not come out right. Try to keep the bottom edges of the flaps even as well.

Sew around all edges, EXCEPT the cut out corners and part of the bottom lining big enough for your hand to fit. I used a stronger stitch on the edges of the interfaced portion than I did with the liner.

Proceed to boxing the corners. Basically, at each corner pinch the open edges until the seams meet and the unsewn side is flat, creating a box shape.

After this, turn right-side out. Flip the open edges you used to turn inside out, and topstitch close with coordinating thread.

Congratulations, youíre finished! Hereís a pic of my finished project:

This is one I made for a swap I just finished:

Inside:

Close-up:

These were my first tutorials, I hope they made sense! If you use this, let me know and post some pics!

Comments appreciated Wink

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010 09:07:32 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissCraftyFingers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010 02:36:16 AM »

Hey, I did something similar! I saw another tutorial online and improvised. Didn't do it exactly the same way as you, but it's similar! I just posted mine up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010 08:38:38 AM »

Such a great job! Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
sarahmaccarelli
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010 05:54:35 PM »

That is epic...love the snails on the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love sewing, making jewelry and crocheting.

I'm also a makeup artist: http://www.makeupbysarahm.com

My Blog:
http://makemeonetoo.blogspot.com/
Crafty_Kat
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010 03:47:43 AM »

This is lovely.  Thanks so much for taking the time to make such easy to use tutorials.  I'm new here, and new to sewing, so every bit helps!
I'm going to try this as soon as I find a nice skirt at the second hand store!
Take care,
Kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cxcaitlyn
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010 12:13:41 PM »

This is lovely.  Thanks so much for taking the time to make such easy to use tutorials.  I'm new here, and new to sewing, so every bit helps!
I'm going to try this as soon as I find a nice skirt at the second hand store!
Take care,
Kat

Thank you, I'm glad this is helpful!  Post pics if it works out, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julietalpha
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010 12:33:55 AM »

Ooh - neat!  It's a great bag and tutorial.  You've done a really good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
SoCraftyTal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010 12:53:36 PM »

Congrats on getting featured for Green Thumb Thursday! http://www.craftster.org/blog/?p=8693
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to get notified instantly when someone adds a project of yours as their favorite? Support Craftster and unlock more features as a Friend of Craftster!
matie1138
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010 01:23:08 PM »

this looks unbelievably RAWD!! this can combine with nearly everything and spunk up any outfit! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011 08:01:30 PM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2010 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2010 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Ways To Support Breast Cancer Awareness While Shopping
Outfit of the Day: Khaki Coat, White T-Shirt and Black Jeans
Scary Movie Inspired Halloween Costume Ideas
5 Zara Coats to Invest in This Fall
This Is the One Fashion Piece That Increases Value
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...