A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,035
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fit into a skirt half your size in an hour! 2 epic tutorials  (Read 7118 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cxcaitlyn
« on: March 26, 2010 07:50:20 PM »

So I donít know if anyoneís done this at home before, but I didnít find a tutorial, so I decided to make one.

How to make a Skirt AND a tote bag, out of a skirt thatís half your size:
(This could probably work for a skirt thatís too big for you as well with your own modifications.)

You will need:

One thrift store full length skirt in a pattern you like, size doesnít really matter as long as it widens towards the bottom.
One coordinating t-shirt-size depends on you. I used a manís XL, needs to be long enough to be Ĺ your hips measurement from above bottom hem to below neckline.
Small amount of coordinating fabric Ė you could easily use scraps; need less than a Ĺ yard.
Interfacing (if desired)
General sewing supplies

To start, hold the skirt up to your body to decide where you would like the new waistline to start. Make sure the new section will be wide enough to fit around your hips if it is a smaller size; too large is ok. Mark the section, and lay flat on the ground.

Cut the skirt in two horizontally, cutting through both layers.

The top half becomes the bag, and the bottom the skirt.

Tote Tutorial: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342542.0

Skirt tutorial:
Before I begin, Iíd like to mention that as the fabric used to make the new skirt is already in the shape of a skirt, you can easily modify this idea as you see fit. What I made is simply a very easy way to make a skirt with having to fuss with zippers, and you can change the length at whim! But you get the picture, just be creative!
Lay T-shirt flat, and cut off sleeves. Cut vertically as close to the midpoint as possible.

Cut off bottom hem and across neckline, and the outsides if necessary. Basically, make them as close to perfect rectangles as you can.

You should now have 4 even sized rectangles. Pin them together in pairs across one long side, with the side you want showing inside. As you can see from my example, I didnít want the mangled Hooters logo on the outside of my skirt (I totally bought that from Goodwill for crafting purposes only! Donít think Iím an avid Hooters-goer, or anythingÖ:p), so itís on the outside of the pinned section. If you want the design to show which could be cool in some cases, go for it. Itís your call.

When both rectangle pairs are sewn together, turn them right-side out. Lay one on top of the other, making them as even as possible. Mine is all black, so it didnít matter which side I choose, but if you prefer a design make sure the right-sides are facing. Sew them together in a slight taper. Starting from the top, the new line you are making may start a Ĺ inch from the side edge, and end at about 1 to 1 Ĺ inches from the side. Remember itís inside out so the top part will be closer to the edge, not the other way around! (Because I definitely did not make that mistake the first time :p)

The top is on the right in this image. Feel free to do a better job at pinning than I have here.

The tricky part comes next. Keeping it inside out, hold the piece around your hips where you want it. It is ok if it seems really wide, because thatís how you can adjust the length. Pin the fabric TIGHTLY on the opposite side. You want it to be tight so that when you wear it, the shirt will stretch and not fall off. It doesnít have to be suffocating-ly tight, but make sure it will stay on your hips if youíre not holding on to it.
[Donít have a pic of this one, so if this is confusing (I hope not!) feel free to PM me ]

Carefully remove the part you pinned, and mark the approximate line youíve created with fabric pencil or whatever you care to use. If you have an Ďample backsideí such as I do, you may have a bigger section in the back than the front, but thatís ok too; it is made to fit you so it wonít look strange when itís on.  Sew this together like you did the other side, cut off the excess (after checking to make sure it fits and making proper adjustments, of course).
Perhaps the hardest part of this whole thing is fitting the waist piece to the skirt. Pin the pieces together to see if they are the same circumference. If you would prefer to figure this out mathematically, thatís probably easier, but Iím terrible at it. If theyíre the same, great! Attach the edges right-side in, and have a more hidden seem, or you can fold the top edge over and top stitch it with matching thread. I did the latter.

If it doesnít fit perfectly, you have a couple of options. You can use darts, pleats, or just cut and sew new seams that fit. Not terribly hard to fix.

If you were wondering what I was talking about with the adjustable length, hereís what I mean:

Long:

Rolled under, it still fits the same but is much shorter:

Forgive me for the uninspiring bathroom photos!

These were my first tutorials, I hope they made sense! I really like this idea because now I no longer have to pass up a great skirt just because itís half my size or way to matronly. If you use this, let me know and post some pics!

Comments appreciated Wink
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010 07:59:05 PM by cxcaitlyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cutiecraftie
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010 03:02:03 AM »

awesome idea and i am in LOVE with your pins!!!! xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please see my adventures in craftyland (my first blog!):
http://abimakesthings.blogspot.com/
brkndoll18
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010 08:28:43 AM »

Thanks for the idea.  I have a lot of too tight skirts that this would work on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilybet85
Crafting Sci-Fi Geek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010 05:46:51 PM »

Holy carp. This is an amazing idea! I was at the Salvation Army and saw a few skirts I liked but they weren't my size. I think I may have to go back and get them now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lilybet85.blogspot.com/ For the Geeky Craftster!

"I'm glad you've got an absolute definition of life in the universe, but perhaps the universe has got ideas of its own." The Doctor

"It is possible to commit no mistake and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." Captain Picard
sarahmaccarelli
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010 08:44:25 AM »

What a great idea!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love sewing, making jewelry and crocheting.

I'm also a makeup artist: http://www.makeupbysarahm.com

My Blog:
http://makemeonetoo.blogspot.com/
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010 12:02:14 PM »

good idea.  it would be nice to change some of the waist bands on my skirts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Jane2
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010 09:51:50 PM »

And I don't even have to go out to buy new skirts ... the ones I have hanging in my closet from when I was 70 pound lighter will work just fine!

You have just stopped me from making any pocket money - from selling my old skirts on consignment.

Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mummybrain
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011 04:23:43 PM »

Oh I love this idea! Thank you. I have one in the wardrobe that I was wondering what to do with!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mummybrain
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011 05:16:44 PM »

Woo hoo finished! Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mummybrain
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011 07:29:50 PM »

Here's my skirt http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=391109.new#new
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Calligraphy Set
How to Learn Calligraphic Styles
How to Write with a Fountain Pen
How to Draw Calligraphy Pictures
How to Write Modern Calligraphy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...