A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,280
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress from two Pillow Shams  (Read 6451 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , recon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2010 01:54:49 PM »

I found these pillow shams while looking for sheets to use as fabric at Goodwill and I loved the colors and the design and bought them but didn't know what I was going to do with them. First I thought I would make them into a skirt but thought this could make a cute dress. I've NEVER made a dress before this is my first attempt and I decided to shirr it and I think it all came together okay.

Since they were shams they were split in the middle on the back the front would be too see thru on it's own so I needed to use the back as a lining. I was going to just whip stitch it closed but thought that would look odd so I ripped them apart with a seam ripper and then put both shams back together. Then I shirred the front at the top and at the waist band. Then I shirred the back, when I started I accidentally did it backwards where the elastic was on the wrong side, Opps! (I tend to make a lot of stupid mistakes, and end up ripping a lot of stitches! Extremely frustrating!) Then I sewed the front and back together, making another stupid mistake, I sewed the front on the wrong way.

See how is kind of bubbles in the back? Now I have a large booty! I'm not saying I'm fat I'm saying I have a huge A** which makes buying and finding clothes that fit (particularly pants) extremely difficult! Fabric tends to bunch and settle above my butt. Plus my posture (standing straight even) the best way to describe it would be the shape of a z, my butt not only is large but sticks out as does my torso, it's just the way I'm built Smiley

Sorry this is so wordy and thank you if you've stuck with me this long!!
Do you think it would help to maybe remove a few rows of shirring in the back or add some? Should I try to find a heavier fabric for the bottom band to add weight to hold it down? Does it look bad? I forgot to mention earlier that I didn't want to double fold it to hem the bottom so I stitched a line and then purposely frayed the bottom, I thought that was cute but still feels a bit short that's why I'm thinking of adding a band at the bottom. Comments and Suggestions are MUCHO appreciated!

Here are a couple tuts I roughly based this off of, I hardly ever follow anything line by line I just get an idea and go with it usually Smiley

http://sewingrepublic.com/projectIdeas.html#/scarf_dress/

http://www.kukyideas.com/journal/2007/04/shirred-dress-tutorial.html

UPDATE: I've moved all my pics and no longer have all the pics that were in this post. All the pics I have are of the final product so here they are:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011 12:44:22 PM by lindsycarranza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010 02:29:09 PM »

First of all, so many of you young ladies are too hard on yourselves!  You have a wonderful figure and a booty that a lot of men (and women!) admire!! I think at least you are balanced--a "Z" figure is nothing to hide!

That being said, the dress made from pillow shams and how you overcame obstacles is wonderful!! I don't think that it is too short for a summer dress--and the flowy fabric is great for hot weather...

It looks like the side seams are pulling a bit, which might add to the problem--try ironing the seams first--it could be that your tension is off a bit on your machine...or maybe your needle is too large...

Be honest--are you going to be wearing it anywhere where you are standing so stiff and tall like trying to take a pic?  NOOOO--you will probably be moving, sitting, dancing, and making the focus on your face and upper body--I would press it and say it is done... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010 02:43:26 PM »

Oh my that is a wonderful recon!  Very pretty!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010 02:44:29 PM »

I think it looks great! And I think you look great!

Did you use elastic thread? If so where did you find it. I have been looking all over my home town.

And I love the re-purpose. And the fabric. And the frayed hem. And I don't think it's immodest. Short is cute.

Great job.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010 02:45:58 PM by najaorama » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
r.forslund
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010 02:53:51 PM »

youre definitely being to hard on yourself. i'd kill for a figure like yours. and the recon is absolutely amazing!! great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010 03:57:23 PM »

First of all, so many of you young ladies are too hard on yourselves!  You have a wonderful figure and a booty that a lot of men (and women!) admire!! I think at least you are balanced--a "Z" figure is nothing to hide!

That being said, the dress made from pillow shams and how you overcame obstacles is wonderful!! I don't think that it is too short for a summer dress--and the flowy fabric is great for hot weather...

It looks like the side seams are pulling a bit, which might add to the problem--try ironing the seams first--it could be that your tension is off a bit on your machine...or maybe your needle is too large...

Be honest--are you going to be wearing it anywhere where you are standing so stiff and tall like trying to take a pic?  NOOOO--you will probably be moving, sitting, dancing, and making the focus on your face and upper body--I would press it and say it is done... Cheesy

Oh! Thank you so much! I'm really not trying to be hard on myself, I've come to love my body including my chest and my big booty! (I always thought my chest was too small 34B especially considering my big behind LOL but I love it and would never change it and my hubby loves it and that's all that matters right?! Cheesy) It's just makes it difficult to find clothes that both fit and flatter my figure, that's why I'm trying really hard to dive more and more into making my own clothes Smiley I did iron the seam after finishing it thinking that would help the problem but it didn't, maybe the tension is off on my machine and I should try resewing them. I thought about doing a zig zag stitch to help the seam lay flat but wasn't sure how that would look, thought that it might make it look more unfinished? I really wanna make a cute cardigan to go with it too, gotta find the fabric first Smiley Ya know I thought about that too, if it were a skirt I wouldn't consider it too short so maybe it's not and that's just my mind playing tricks on me, I just get nervous because when I bend over at a 90 degree angle it's just an inch or so covering my crotch but it's not like I'm gonna be bending like that in public, I am a lady ya know LOL! I agree the lighter fabric will be great in the hot summer months. Thank you SOO SOO much for your comment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010 03:57:52 PM »

Oh my that is a wonderful recon!  Very pretty!
Thank You very much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010 04:00:14 PM »

I think it looks great! And I think you look great!

Did you use elastic thread? If so where did you find it. I have been looking all over my home town.

And I love the re-purpose. And the fabric. And the frayed hem. And I don't think it's immodest. Short is cute.

Great job.

Aww thank you so much! Yes I did you hand wind the elastic on the bobbin and regular thread on the top and sew away! It's really quite easy actually! I bought mine awhile ago and Hancock Fabrics, I had to ask where it was because I was having trouble finding it and it was on a wall with a bunch of notions. Thanks So much for your comment! I hope you find elastic thread! I love it now! I also made a shirred top out of an old men's dress shirt I will be posting soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010 04:00:39 PM »

youre definitely being to hard on yourself. i'd kill for a figure like yours. and the recon is absolutely amazing!! great job!!
Aww thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss sarah jane
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010 04:38:17 PM »

That is too cute!  I really love the fabric, and I'm always in admriation of anyone who can repurpose something so successfully.

I don't have anything constructive to say, other than, you look hot, girl!  Wear it and be proud!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fried Rice
Make This Stir-Fry With Leftover Chicken
Make Coconut Shrimp Soup With Ramen
How to Make Cheesy Ramen Noodles
Pretend-Perfect Pad Thai
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...