A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,651
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterick 5317 Maggy London Dress  (Read 7260 times)
Tags for this thread: butterick_5317 , pleated_dress , maggy_london  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OkieMist
A choice of words is a choice of worlds - Richard Lederer

Yay for today!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2010 02:33:28 PM »

"Very easy" Slightly flared dress with fitted, lined bodice, empire waist, pleats, side seam pockets, and side zipper.
[http://butterick.mccall.com/filebin/images/product_images/Full/B5317.jpg

Found it to be a fairly easy pattern to follow. Really like the results. I'd never done a zipper right next to the pocket before so that was interesting to try. I did mine in a linen blend and really like how it hangs. My only tiny whine is that the sleeves make the neckline sit so far off my shoulders that sometimes my bra straps show - which, if you're bothering to wear a nice dress, is tacky in my book. Brainstorming how to prevent such...
I'm planning on wearing this to my graduation ceremony in June, yay!
Front

Back (I have my hands in the pockets which is pulling the fabric forward. It normally hangs straight like the front looks above)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011 05:32:46 AM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The important work of moving the world forward does not wait to be done by perfect men. -george eliot
Megrims
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010 02:43:19 PM »

Oh, I like it!  I have this pattern and have been thinking about pulling it out.  I'll have to get on that.  I love that dresses these days have POCKETS.

As for the bra straps, what about some strap holders made out of snaps and ribbon or single chain crochet in a matching color?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010 02:47:28 PM »

cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roonwit
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010 02:47:50 PM »

Your dress looks so much better than the illustration! Makes me want to try it now.
At the risk of repeating what the previous poster said:
Could you sew a little loop with a popper on the inside of each shoulder to hold the bra straps in place? This works for me to hide my bra straps.
http://sewing.about.com/od/adultclothingprojects/a/brastraphlder.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deep down I'm pretty superficial - Ava Gardner
OkieMist
A choice of words is a choice of worlds - Richard Lederer

Yay for today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010 03:03:58 PM »

I'd thought of doing as ya'll suggest and sewing in something to keep my straps in line but my mum seems to think I should just sew in bra cups to the lining so I'm stalling on doing anything until I absolutely know what I want to do with it... I really, really don't want to sew cups to my pretty lining!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The important work of moving the world forward does not wait to be done by perfect men. -george eliot
cre8ivegenes
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010 03:04:50 PM »

Depending on your bra cup size you could try wearing a Nu Bra. http://tinyurl.com/ydxtxqm
They are cups that lock in the front but are backless and stick to you boo boo's giving you support. They sell them at fine department stores. You could also
try a tube bra but then you tend to loose the great sexy shape of you boo's and they become one uni-boo. They also have the flower petal pasty bras which
are disposable and not reusable like the Nu Bra. If you choose the flower pasty bra it's good to remove slowly and use lotion as not to pull at the tender skin.

Good luck! Love the dress. Wonderful job. It also might look nice with a Pashmina Shawl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010 03:14:13 PM »

yeah either strap holders like the girls said, or go strapless. Cute dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010 03:34:09 PM »

My only tiny whine is that the sleeves make the neckline sit so far off my shoulders that sometimes my bra straps show - which, if you're bothering to wear a nice dress, is tacky in my book. Brainstorming how to prevent such...

So pretty!

Google "lingerie straps"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
sheriffkarli
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010 03:56:45 PM »

Wow, this looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010 04:37:32 PM »

lovely job!  looks elegant and perfect for the occasion!

the neckline is very flattering--I also suggest ribbon or crochet loops in the shoulder seams for all nice dresses...it is a great professional detail and should hold your straps where you want them

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Zombie Make-Up
Hair Gloss or Keratin Treatment for Hair?
Can You Drink Your Way to Younger Skin?
Best Hair Styling Products for Women
Candy Monogram - Do It, Gurl
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...