A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tee recon ideas for those with flabby arms...  (Read 3155 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 23, 2010 12:29:15 PM »

I have really flabby arms and I love tee recons but all of the tee recons I see here seem to involve showing a lot of your arms as in tank top or halter top style.

Well I have tons of tees for summer but they're not very girly or flattering and I'd like to change them into tops that I can wear with all my nice skirts.

Any ideas or instructions (I'm not so good at sewing but I do have a machine) on how to keep the sleeves but make it cute and flattering?

I have a very... erm... faerie like style. I usually have a bit of punky edge with girly dresses and skirts... most of the tees I have to alter are band style tees and i'd like to make them more girly.

thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010 06:55:33 AM »

You can make an upper arm-covering flutter sleeve by cutting a rectangle or half circle from lightweight fabric and sewing it to the armhole of the t-shirt (after removing the original sleeve), or on sleeveless recons, sewing the shape on  the straps.

Here's some instructions on sewing flutter sleeves - just make them as big as you need to cover the trouble area of the arm:  http://www.myvintagesecret.com/flutter-sleeve-sweatshirt-diy-tuesday/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Lilybet85
Crafting Sci-Fi Geek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010 05:53:09 PM »

I don't like my arms either, so I actually made the sleeves longer. I found tees that were the same colors (or even coordinating colors!) and made them fit down to my elbow and then added a small cuff to it. If I wanted it more girly, I made a slightly slit in the cuff, hemmed it, turned it upward then added a button or jewel at the bottom of the slit. Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lilybet85.blogspot.com/ For the Geeky Craftster!

"I'm glad you've got an absolute definition of life in the universe, but perhaps the universe has got ideas of its own." The Doctor

"It is possible to commit no mistake and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." Captain Picard
shayneblate08

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010 12:49:35 PM »

I don't like my arms either, so I actually made the sleeves longer. I found tees that were the same colors (or even coordinating colors!) and made them fit down to my elbow and then added a small cuff to it. If I wanted it more girly, I made a slightly slit in the cuff, hemmed it, turned it upward then added a button or jewel at the bottom of the slit. Does that make sense?

it does, I like this idea! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shayneblate08

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010 12:50:24 PM »

You can make an upper arm-covering flutter sleeve by cutting a rectangle or half circle from lightweight fabric and sewing it to the armhole of the t-shirt (after removing the original sleeve), or on sleeveless recons, sewing the shape on  the straps.

Here's some instructions on sewing flutter sleeves - just make them as big as you need to cover the trouble area of the arm:  http://www.myvintagesecret.com/flutter-sleeve-sweatshirt-diy-tuesday/

sorry for the late reply, but this is great! I'm going to try it just after finals---I have a whole word document listing all the sewing projects I want to try after the semester is over
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010 02:27:51 AM »

i hate my upper arms and no ammount of wii fit kung fu, rhythm boxing or punching the air whilst holding tins of beans seems to be helping them so i am very pleased with that tutorial lol!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Missssally
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012 05:41:58 AM »

First post!   I am beside myself with how much I love this forum.  Let's get straight to the point though-

I am wanting to do some tee shirt recons myself giving them more of a rockabilly feel.  What I have in mind is putting in longer sleeves with the puffy caps on them to make them more feminine.  I also want to add a sweetheart neckline which I plan on binding with bias tape I make out of the same material of the sleeves.  I am having a heck of a time finding a tutorial on how to cut a sweetheart neckline into a tee shirt though.

Can anyone out there help me with this?  Thanks so much! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tbuabin
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012 10:36:02 AM »

Awesome! this is exacly  what I've been looking for Smiley crafter always knows best Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012 09:10:07 PM »

I love me some puff sleeves! To mod an existing boxy tee, just gather the sleeve hem into a contrast fabric band Cheesy You'll keep the length and gain cuteness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012 07:58:45 PM »

I add some waist darts in Ts. Adding a contrast yoke and using that extra fabric to add to the sleeves to puff them is a great choice for those that choose to cover their upper arms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The VIDADIFH Show: James L. Brooks
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Tron: Legacy
Creating Shadows on the Wall
How to Edit with Final Cut Pro
Johnny Depp In Depth
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...