A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holy Schmidt I Made a Wedding Dress (pic rotund)  (Read 34007 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_dress , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BoyceMachine
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010 08:48:38 AM »

That's a great job.

The alterations have been amazing!  Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a garden.  Dig it.

www.wists.com/Boycemachine
efirechild

The love of my life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010 11:40:05 AM »

Awsome job! Being a total shoe person I like that it isn't floor length and you can now feature a super sexy pair of shoes.  I got married in December and my "dress" cost less than 1/3 of my shoes.  I wore just a pencil skirt and a cute top.  You did a great job on your alterations and pattern change!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yttrai
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010 02:16:26 PM »

Your salvage of the original is stupendous!  That that it wasn't good at first, but it wasn't great, and of course you want it more or less perfect.

For the record, you DO have a nice bottom.  Actually, you're just good looking all over and that dress after the rescue completely enhances all the good.  I hope that does not come off too intensely stalkerish.  I promise i mean it only that you look incredible in the dress, and that i appreciate curves and dang do you have them Smiley

Lastly, while you may be debating the spanx and wondering if it's worth it, or a sign of vanity, or what, but here is my take:  They serve two purposes. One is to smooth things out just a little.  You know how curves and flaws are accentuated in photos?  The bright lights of wedding photography plus the brightness of white satin fabric will be two strikes against you.  The spanx will help counteract that double whammy of undesired flaw enhancement.  The second benefit i have found is that while they are pretty comfy, they are tight and you do tend to be aware of them.  However, for me that is a good thing since it reminds me to suck in my gut and straighten my spine and shoulders.  I have a horrible tendency to slouch something terrible, and a longline bra or camisole reminds me to hold myself both with more formality and also with more confidence.  Both of those will be nice to be reminded of when everybody is looking at you, i suspect.

Anyway, congrats on a job incredibly well done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010 06:52:33 PM »

That is absolutely stunning!
The first dress, although nice, did not sit well for your figure; this dress is damn near perfect.
Most of the little things that I would have said have been covered in the previous comments (Eg puckering seam), but I have to voice my opinion on two things:
1) the hem - don't hem! Keep it raw, trimming up the stray threads; I think it honestly looks nicer, and a hem can pull this delicate material all kinds of awkward and unpretty if not done correctly. I might suggest a little shorter anyways, though? Like tea length? With a killer pair of kitten heels this could still give you that 50's glam movie star feel Smiley Maybe in a colour (red, or whatever you are choosing for your colours) as a surprise splash and whatnot...
2) Spanx. Seriously. Do it. I am curvy, and shiny materials are not always flattering. Add flashbulbs from cameras and you have misery awaiting in your wedding photos. They cover tiny imperfections and smooth out so you will look your utmost fab Smiley

Oh, and get yourself some garment tape for the big day. That neckline is lovely and really shows a beautiful decolletage, but could lead to an unfortunate accident... Small amounts of double sided tape around the neckline to keep things in place will go very far Smiley

Beautiful job, altogether. The simplicity really lets your beauty shine through, so flaunt it! At the wedding, your hubby's jaw is gonna drop and he'll fall in love all over again with just how stunning you are (and all the other good things that keep a relationship together too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KrisCreates

Keep on rockin' in the craft world!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010 09:09:31 PM »

The modifications you made suit your stature much better than the original pattern!

I would love to try to make my own dresses, but I'm also only a beginner to intermediate when it omes to sewwing...  You give me hope! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010 09:19:09 PM »

The back is absolutely perfect. O.o I want a dress to look like that on me!  [/odd praise]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People often say that motivation doesnt last. Well, neither does bathing thats why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010 09:59:40 PM »

pretty pretty pretty! You make a lovely bride! Congrats on making your own!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Merripan

I quilt, therefore I am...

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010 09:37:41 AM »

Only an intermediate sewer at best?  WOW!!!  I'd like to be an intermediate sewer that had final results like that.  I'm totally impressed.  I love cotton because it doesn't slip and slide all over the place.  I would totally be intimidated by that. 

Good for you - and yes, you look gorgeous in it!  Hooray for a simple, elegant, and beautiful gown to make you look even more lovely than you already are. 

Have a very happy wedding!

~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come and visit my Etsy shop for your custom kitchen needs! http://www.etsy.com/shop/merripan
stevesdiybride
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010 09:55:16 AM »

I really like this! I love how classy it looks, Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to run with scissors it makes me feel dangerous
KelseyLauren
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010 11:38:33 AM »

Well done! It's beautiful. You'll probably cherish the day even more since you'll be wearing one of your own creations. Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ombré Nails Tutorial
The Look of Versace Fall 2013
Marianna Hewitt on the Makeup Sponge That Will Change Your Life
The Look of Prada Fall 2013
The Look of Marc Jacobs Fall 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...