A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,650
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand sewing scraps into....  (Read 979 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

autielady
« on: March 22, 2010 12:56:47 PM »

I love to hand sew things and was wondering what ideas people have about irregular shaped scraps being sewn into something cool. It doesn't have to be a pattern or a tutorial; I can usually look at something and make my own pattern.

Ideally, I'd like to make something people would buy; because I'd like to sell some to raise money for the local Autism Society of America. (they've done so much to help me and others; I'd love to give back to them)

I have literally boxes and boxes of scraps; with the largest being about a half yard and the smallest being very small. It's mostly vintage fabric and girly looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogger, crafter, autistic, advocate, Christian...all wrapped into one splendid package!
http://www.shesmorethananumber.blogspot.com

If you have a question about Autism, ask me. I don't bite.
soorawn
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010 03:22:35 PM »

Make a collage building a landscape with the pieces.  The resulting panel can be used for a cushion or for a blanket or a bag...  Or use the combined pieces to frame some interesting needlework or any other thing you want to showcase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
rossie
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010 04:14:56 PM »

Scrap bears or other soft toys?  Maybe a scrappy scarf, or lots of covered buttons or beads... you could just piece your scraps together bit by bit until you have a large enough piece of unique fabric to make a bag, cover a journal, etc.  Fabric flowers made of scraps could be very shabby chic and individual, plus you can glue a pin or clip to the back and sell them as fashion accessories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
autielady
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010 04:23:11 PM »

Thank you for the ideas! I appreciate them. I like the idea of the fabric flowers and hair accessories...the landlady I have owns a nail salon that I hang out at everyday and she's offered to let me sell things there. I think that might be a good fit!

I love to make bags too, I never thought of making a landscape for one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogger, crafter, autistic, advocate, Christian...all wrapped into one splendid package!
http://www.shesmorethananumber.blogspot.com

If you have a question about Autism, ask me. I don't bite.
craftnutz
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010 01:22:13 PM »

Another thing you can do is make small quilts.  A great way to use up irregular scraps is to sew them together into a "crumb" quilt.  Just sew them any which way, then square them up to whatever size you want, then put them together with sashing strips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog for tutorials and lots of fun stuff.  http://frommycarolinahome.wordpress.com
Feywalker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010 07:27:35 AM »

You might look in the library for the book Omiyage. It has some pretty cute stuff hand sewn from scraps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make that...
lady.lin
Costume Queen

Break the rules, not your tools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010 04:24:26 PM »

Make big, big sheets of scraps, then use them like normal fabric for cutting out patterns for skirts, dresses, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OmaDJ
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010 09:34:23 AM »

Google "gibbous fashion" or put "gibbous" in the search window on Craftster for some ideas.  If you decide to makk something gibbous, use a thrift store garment as a base.  I am currently working on a skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orion
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010 04:44:13 PM »

Barbie clothes are always fun to make with scraps, or if theres clothes you want to make for yourself make a "barbie" version of it first to see how it all comes together.

with my scraps i do barbie clothes, or the small bits i cant use i shred cut them up and they come in handy as cheap alternative to stuffing toys or anything else with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanctuary and Serenity for all.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make It Easy: DIY Paper Flower Bouquet
DIY Colorful Leather-Wrapped Keychains
DIY Craft Trays for Cars
Make It Easy: DIY Craft Trays for Cars
Egg-Stra Ideas for Easter
Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...