A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Empanadas! with pic ffffffff-at tutorial!  (Read 9729 times)
Tags for this thread: empanada , recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2010 05:22:26 PM »

When I was a child, we would go over to a friends house and would be served empanadas.  I have fond memories of running around on Saturdays playing with them while their father had friends over for "empanada parties" (my words, not thiers Smiley )   It was good times.  So to remember those good times, I often make his recipe.  And I figured I'd share the recipe and the how to with you all, so maybe you can make great memories surrounding delicious food, specifically these empanadas Cheesy

Recipe (slightly altered because before the onion was waaaaay overwhelming and  I like to cut out fat where I can):
Preheat your oven to 375`F

1 large onion
 1lb of lean ground beef
 1Tbsp Paprika
 1 beef bulion cube
 1/2 cup water
 salt peper and oregano to taste

Fry onion and paprika in a large fry pan. When the onions are softened, add the ground beef.  Cook until well browned.   Add salt, pepper, and oregano.  Add 1/2 cup water and bullion cube and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Extra filling ingredients:
Olives
rasins
hard boiled egg, cut into smallish pieces (boil this egg while you are cooking the beef!)

While the mixture is cooling make the dough.
~5cups flour
 2tsp baking powder
 1tsp salt
 1cup milk
 1/4lb lard (or shortening, like crisco)

Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Scald the milk in a sauce pan and add the lard.  Stir until the lard has melted.  Pour the lard and milk mixture into the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until you can't anymore. Continue kneading with your hands until you get a firm dough (much more firm then a bread. and more firm then a pie crust  Fool around with the measurements abit, to get what you feel is a workable texture)

Here you can see I have everything all lined up and ready to go.

Roll your dough out and cut it into large circles - aproximately 20cm across (or circles of your desired size, you could make these small as appetizers, but here I made them supper serving size)
Place the beef mixture, 2-3 rasins, 1 olive, and 1 piece of hard boiled egg.  Take a egg wash and wet one half of the circle around the edge.

Fold them over so you get a half circle, and pinch the dough together like this.  you get a good seal and no leaking if you do this.

Notice I punched holes with a fork along the top.  this is to let the steam out and so you can be sure they don't explode!  I also use the egg wash on top, for a nice golden brown top.

Lather rinse repeat until you run out of ingredients!

Now they are ready to hit the oven!   Bake for 30 minutes or until nicely browned.

If you have left over dough (like I did)  squish it out into weird flower like shapes and dust with cinamon and sugar, bake for 15 mins, and there you go, desert!

and here's one that has a few bites out of it that was temporarily abandoned by my 2 yr old.... Apparently he had better things to do lol  he did come back to finish it though!

Anyway I really hope you try these out, they are quite delicious.  I promise!

To answer a question about the liquid situation:
Q:
I did have one question:  when you cook the meat with the onions do you drain off the extra fat and water?  I did because it looked too runny--I used 85% lean meat so maybe it was too fat?
A:
I've always used lean ground beef.   If you have a bunch of liquid that doesn't look like it's all fat (or you just simply don't care if theres a bit of extra fat in there -which is generally where I'm at lol)  You can outright skip the water, and just add and bullion cube.  Then just let it simmer until you've only got a little liquid left.  Sometimes the onion has alot of liquid in it, and sometimes it seems like some ground beef is more liquidy, so you may or may not need the water.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010 07:55:22 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010 05:34:44 PM »

Those look so yummy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010 05:51:07 PM »

they are most definitly delicious.  i made 33.... i like to freeze them and eat them whenever I feel like it.  and if you are going to all the trouble, I figure make as many as sanely possible so you don't have to again for a while Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twilightmiracle
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010 06:06:56 PM »

Looks delicious!  I'm going to try out your recipe this week...thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010 06:08:17 PM »

oooo--I also have many fond memories surrounding empanadas!!  I make them using cheaty ready made dough, but these look extra good and easy to make!

Thanks for posting the recipe--I will definitely need to make these and impress my friends! They look so yummy and your instructions are perfect for a non-cook like me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
matuta

separated and now back again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010 07:04:51 PM »

They look yummy! Here is a tip that I use when making empanadas ... I make the "pino" or the meat part of it the day before. That way it has a whole night at least to sit in the fridge and get nice and cold. The colder it is to work with, the less chance that you have of it leaking out when you cook it. ALSO ... I remove a lot of the liquid from it (but not all,cus you don't want it dry) before I put it in the fridge to cool ... also helps to stop them from opening and leaking out when cooking.
You can also try so many other things inside the empanada. That is the amazing thing about the empanada ... they are like little pockets of your favorite food. I have made a veggie version with spinach as well as a cheese one and my mom has made a seafood version.
Great that you posted the recipe ... I have so many friends that ask but I guesstimate when I make it so can m=never give a proper recipe ... I am going to pass this one along for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nfirehazzard

Purple monkey dishwashers!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010 07:22:48 PM »

OMG! Shocked I love empanadas! I think the best part is that you use the traditional stuffing. ( which I have to make just for me when my hubby asks for some, he likes cheese..) I usually fry mine, but now that I see how great they come out baked, I might have to try this. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010 08:39:21 PM »

Grin  I'm so happy to hear  everyone loves empanadas!!   You are very welcome for the recipe, it basically comes straight from Chile.  My friends are 1st generation Canadians, so everything they ate was authentic Chilean (that how you'd spell it?Huh
Matuta, thanks for the tips!  I usualy make it all in one day.  but spreading it out over 2 might be mildly less tasking!  I love them, they are so worth the effort!
I refuse to budge from this recipe though.. i know they'd be great with a few extra things, and my husband would love if I omited the rasins.. but I'm a stick in the mud that way Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010 08:56:08 PM »

matuta--awesome tips!  I think maybe making a few different fillings would be good as many of my friends are vegetarian and some only eat fish or shellfish...

belladune--oh no--leaving out the raisens would not be good at all!  They add the little bit of sweetness to the sour of the olive! stick to your guns!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010 10:14:31 PM »

These look so delicious.  Good idea for those leftover pieces of pastry.  Thanks for the tips also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Acrobat - Overview
How to Import and Collect Footage in Adobe After Effects Lesson 4
How to Import and Collect Footage in Adobe After Effects Lesson 3
How to Import and Collect Footage in After Effects
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...