A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiered Gypsy Skirts  (Read 38899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raslalique
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005 12:46:03 PM »

I too would like to join this sewalong. I've planned to make a few of these skirts for the longest while. I have black and pale green cotton voile which I plan to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005 12:57:04 PM »

I have been dying to make one of these but as I have no way of buying the fabric I need for a while, I will be definitely be watching Grin Good luck all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
PurpleHeather
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005 01:15:21 AM »

I just use my normal foot, but use my longest stitch that I then pull up to gather them. They are really simple. With the skirt I made I did the first tier 1m long, the second 1m 20, then 1m 50, 2m and 2m 50

Randommarble; approximately how wide were your tiers?  I've got a fabric I love, but only 2m of it, and I was pondering making a short tiered skirt with it, as i saw a nice on in Reading this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005 08:52:17 AM »

They were between 17 and 20cm, getting wider as they went down. My material was 150cm wide and I used 1m 15 to make  a five tier mid calf length skirt. The bottom two tiers were cut from 3 strips total, one of which was cut into a 50cm strip and a 1m strip, sewn onto a 1.5m strip to create the 2 and 2.5m strips to save fabric.

Here is the link to my skirt with a top I made. Sorry it's not very clear.

http://192.168.1.15:88/pawprints/products.php?category=4
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
PurpleHeather
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005 02:07:10 AM »

Thanks for the measurements Randommarble - I've 2m of a nice purple fabric, but it's quite sheer so i think I'm going to make one in 2 layers instead of 1, so it (hopefully) isn't so see through!

I can't view your picture at the moment, but I'll try it again another time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Randommarble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005 12:30:18 AM »

the picture may not be visible at certain times, because my brother is hosting my new site on his server, which is not always on. Sorry for any inconvienience (sp?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
goonie
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005 08:41:48 PM »

oh im so in.
i already made one out of a vintage bathrobe
but my next is a navy blue gauzy material.
i'll probably make it sometime in the next week or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like stripes.
i make lotsa stuff. www.rustycuts.etsy. com
www.rustycuts.blogs pot.com
ladyskye
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005 12:41:49 AM »

I'd like to join in on this too, if it's ok for newbies to do that...

I've never put a zipper in before, and am a little nervous of trying it out on my own.

I was planning on using some black and purple crushed velvet.  Do you think that will be too stretchy for this skirt?  Or perhaps just too heavy?  I have other fabric too, I just wanted to try it with the velvet first.

I'm very unsure of my sewing skills, but my mom says I'm much better at it than I am giving myself credit for.

Also, is there a way to make this skirt without a zipper?  I'm much more interested in either a drawstring waistband, or elastic.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randommarble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005 08:13:13 AM »

When I made mine, I gave it an elastic waist and it seems fine. With the crushed velvet, you should try gathering a small piece to see if it works OK. The skirt I'm going to making is prob going to be black and white - alternating on each tier - because we have to do mini enterprise at school and our group has decided to do black and white but with coloured top stitching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skier88888
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005 04:19:41 PM »

i'd like to join this sewalong. i bought some white gauzy material last week and i want to make one of these  Grin. i'm making my own pattern but i'm not quite sure how it will turn out. can anyone tell me if you think it will work?

here's my pattern idea: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/skier88888/skirtpic.gif

thanks so much! <3 Lisa
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 08:51:02 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Create a Dramatic Sky and Crop the Image
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Sharpen the Focus
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use Adjustment Layers
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Fix Details with the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Colors
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...