A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiered Gypsy Skirts  (Read 40296 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2005 08:17:06 AM »

OK, these seem to be extremely popular to wear this spring/summer and they are very easy to make. I thought it would be fitting, as this is the first topic, to do something we can all make without needing to buy a pattern. I've already made one but am making another one soon. If anyone is interested in sewalonging with me then post here.

They are very easy as are only several long rectangles (each tier a little longer) gathered at the top to fit the tier above. I made mine with an elasticated waist but would be interested if anyone uses ties, hook and eyes or a zip etc. If anyone needs better instructions there was a site mentioned somewhere on this site - perhaps if you search and find it you can post a link here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005 08:24:47 AM »

This gypsy skirt thing makes me laugh, my mom used to wear them all the time in the 90's and I was so excited to be able to wear them....and now they are coming back! Yay. If i have time, I'd love to sewalong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
PurpleHeather
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005 08:25:03 AM »

Superb! The shops are full of these at the moment!  I've got some nice material that i was thinking of making one with - I'll see if I can look out that tute.

Some of the ones I've seen in the shop are a drawstring top.

It'd be nice to see what people can do with different materials, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005 08:26:43 AM »

This is a link to a Broomstick Skirt tutorial - I'm pretty sure they're the same thing!

http://www.ericas.com/projects/proj9801.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Randommarble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005 08:36:16 AM »

That looks like it except that I used a lot less fabric (only 1.15m) even though mine only needed one more tier to make it floor length. I guess mine was alot less full, which is another variation along with length that can be made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
Pirate_Shelly

Arg I say, lets get craften!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005 09:37:48 AM »

Yay! I've been thinking of making one for a pirate girl costume (or just cause it's cool). So what's this sew along thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never mess with a woman with sticks
Randommarble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005 01:40:05 PM »

The sewalong is just so we can all make it together, and if we encounter any problems along the way we can all help each other. I'll post a picture of the one I have already made soon, and I'm going to start another in the next few days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Effylicious
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005 05:32:32 PM »

I think maybe I'll try this one out. It could be useful for going to ren faires [I'm a gypsy dancer/pirate]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a moment of silence, please, for those who never had the chance, they show up to a partybut they're never asked to dance, the losers, the liars, the bastards, the theives, the cynicists, the pessimists, and those who don't believe in nothing...
professor_ping

all hail king cronos!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005 08:52:42 PM »

I would LOVE to try this!
Only... I just got a sewing machine a few months ago, and have only been doing simple (as in REALLY simple) things.... will I need a special foot or something to do the gathers?
I'll say I'm probably in, as I've been wanting one of these skirts since I was about sixteen.
Looking forward to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randommarble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005 08:49:29 AM »

I just use my normal foot, but use my longest stitch that I then pull up to gather them. They are really simple. With the skirt I made I did the first tier 1m long, the second 1m 20, then 1m 50, 2m and 2m 50
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Black Farmer Book Trailer
Ruth Graham Reveals Her Motto
Kaza Kingsley Talks About Erec Rex
Lisa McMann Talks About Fade
Meet Author John Connolly
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...