A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidering on ticking stripe kitchen towels?????  (Read 918 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pvwon

"Que me amat, amet et canem meum." -Saint Bernard

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2005 08:09:27 AM »

So I want to embroider kitchen towels for my mother for Mother's Day (can you say procrastinate).  I bought these lovely dyed ticking striped kitchen towels from Martha's everyday collection at the Big K but now I'm having buyers remorse.  Will it look okay? 

There are seven towels: lavender with periwinkle stripes, light green with light blue stripes, yellow with periwinkle stripes, light blue with periwinkle stripes, light salmony orange with lavender stripes, pink with periwinkle stripes, and light red with dark red stripes.

They are all pastel-ish, so I think that they are okay, but I have never embroidered on anything but solid fabric (and haven't embroidered in years).

I came here fro expert advice.  What do y'all think.

Procrastinatin' in Alabama!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well behaved women rarely make history.
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005 08:26:18 AM »

you could always do the actual embroidery on a piece of white cotton fabric, and then sew that 'patch' onto the towels.

I would think that filled in embroidery would work better than outlines if you embroider directly onto the towels.  that way the stripes will be 'behind' rather than 'through' the picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graciepetunia
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005 08:29:01 AM »

I think it would look awsome, maybe a swallow or bluebird!

Also in Alabama.. Steph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn Ho,will work for yarn!
pvwon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005 08:46:06 AM »

Thanks for the zippy replies.  I already know the subject of the embroidery.  My mom and I both worked at Camp Winnataska growing up and now we are weekly summer directors there.  Singing is a big tradition at Winnataska and one of the songs goes like this:

MONDAY WASHDAY

Today is Monday,
Today is Monday.
Monday wash day.
All my loving brothers I wish the same to you.

Today is Tuesday,
Today is Tuesday.
Tuesday string beans, Monday wash day.
All my loving brothers I wish the same to you.

Today is Wednesday,
Today is Wednesday,
Wednesday roast beef, Tuesday string beans, Monday wash day.
All my loving brothers I wish to same to you.

Today is Thursday,
Today is Thursday,
Thursday soup, Wednesday roast beef, Tuesday string beans, Monday wash day.

Today is Friday,
Today is Friday,
Friday fish, Thursday soup, Wednesday roast beef, Tuesday string beans, Monday wash day.

Today is Saturday,
Today is Saturday,
Saturday payday, Friday fish, Thursday soup, Wednesday roast beef, Tuesday string beans,
Monday wash day.

Today is Sunday,
Today is Sunday,
Sunday church, Saturday payday, Friday fish, Thursday soup, Wednesday roast beef, Tuesday
string beans, Monday wash day.

Each of the cabins is a different day of the week and it turns lunch into a screaming match.  Ever so much fun, by the way.  Anyway, I'm doing a towel for each day of the week.

Thanks for the ideas.  I never even thought of the "sew a piec of white fabric onto the towel" idea.   Thanks for that melidomi.  WOuld you do a strip across the whole bottom of the cloth or just a patch?  Or, since this is my first foray into embroidery in years, would you make a little white strip for the front and the back of the the dish cloth to cover the back of the design?  (I could say to protect it, but we all know its to cover the mess!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005 10:16:34 AM »

Well, if you do the embroidery on the white cloth before sewing it on, the towel itself will hide the back. 

Why don't you try out your options on paper.  Get a piece of plain white (printer?) paper.  Doodle your design on it.  Cut it into a strip.  Do the same and cut it into a square.  place each option on a towel to see how they look and which one you like better.  My guess is that a strip across the whole bottom (with like an inch of fabric showing below it) would look the most tailored.  But that might not be the look you're going for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pvwon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005 10:27:53 AM »

Well I've decided.  It will be patches 5" x 3.5" patches on the bottom of the towels.  I think that I'll do some decorative stitching around the patches as well.  Any edge stitches that y'all find particularly fun?

Melidomi, I must have read your mind because I cut out the patterns and laid them on the towels to see if I liked the patch idea before I read you post.  That is also when I realized that the towel would hide the back.  (Duh, I think I left my brain at home today.)  I agree that the strips would look more tailored, but I think that I want this to look more "campy" since it is based on a camp song.

Graciepetunia, good to see another Alabamian on the board.  May I ask where in our lovely state you are?  I'm in Birmingham.

I'll post pics when I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005 12:48:07 PM »

So I want to embroider kitchen towels for my mother for Mother's Day (can you say procrastinate). I bought these lovely dyed ticking striped kitchen towels from Martha's everyday collection at the Big K but now I'm having buyers remorse. Will it look okay?

There are seven towels: lavender with periwinkle stripes, light green with light blue stripes, yellow with periwinkle stripes, light blue with periwinkle stripes, light salmony orange with lavender stripes, pink with periwinkle stripes, and light red with dark red stripes.

They are all pastel-ish, so I think that they are okay, but I have never embroidered on anything but solid fabric (and haven't embroidered in years).

I came here fro expert advice. What do y'all think.

Procrastinatin' in Alabama!
It will look fine.  I bought the same towels and did an embroidery on some of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pvwon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005 07:57:29 AM »

I've posted the finished product here. Thank's for all your suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Highlighting your Hair
How to Make Emo Style Extensions
How to Do an Emo Haircut
Learn how to Care for Haircutting Equipment
Cutting Your Hair at Home
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...