A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
304 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: synthetic dread falls. questions.  (Read 7609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

r.forslund
« on: March 21, 2010 01:33:27 AM »

i've been obsessed with dreads for years now but im to whimsical and lazy to actual dread my own hair. so i was thinking about making or buying some dread falls. i really dont wanna spend $100 for a piece when the materials are so cheap, but i dont think im talented enough to actual make the product im looking for. especially not my first time. so.. have you found it easier to make your own or purchase? if you make them do you have any tips. and if you buy, who do you buy from? im really just looking for some change. so if you have any other hair tips or ideas please tell. i have brown wavy hair down to my mid to lower back. im not willing to cut or dye it. (dyeing is just to much of a hassle and its taken me yrs to grow it back out) ive tried glass beads but i have an 8 month old and im scared if they come out and i dont notice she could find them. is there any other type of "hair jewelry" out there?

here are some pics of what ive been looking at..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010 07:50:39 AM »

A timely question!  I've been wanting to make wool dreads but don't have a clue how to get them to stay in someone's hair. 

Any suggestions?  Pictures would be great!

The pink/black photo ... are they just attached to the black lace?  Would you just tie them in to your hair??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
r.forslund
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010 08:01:11 AM »

from everything ive read so far you can attach them to lace and tie them in so later you can remove some, add some, or mix and match color. the first set were braided in to her hair but the ones i want are on hair bands so i can just put them over my bun. youtube has some great instructional videos but not all the information you really need. im thinking about just ordering from this girl i found on myspace. im going to e-mail her today and see what her prices are for a set similar to what ive been looking at. so far her prices are more reasonable then others ive seen. ive been wanting some for well over two years now and i figure it will be now or never.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsayrose
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010 11:52:44 AM »

Hey there,
I haven't actually made or bought these myself but I have done a fair amount of research as I was interested in getting some for myself. I found two people on youtube who I found particularly informative. Since you referred to Youtube in your comment above it's very possible you've seen these videos. They are two different techniques of how to make your own synthetic dreads and both seem really fairly straight forward. I don't know, there are some people who make beautiful hair falls but I have yet to find anybody who sells them for what I consider a reasonable price. Yea, it takes some serious time to make these but the materials are SO SO SO cheap. I can't imagine paying for something that I could make for so less. If you are looking for something extremely perfect and specific then maybe buying would be the right choice. But in my opinion, even if you spent some money on a test run just to get the hang of it, even if that completely BOTCHES you'd still be down very minimal money. That way you can actually see if it's something you have the talent/patience for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihlxsA-R0ZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XeapWqrai8 (part1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYi9kb7OboA (part2)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gekkogirl
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010 01:24:58 PM »

Threadbanger has just had an episode on how to make needle felted dreads. They just attached them to hair bands but perhaps you could combine the technique with anothert attachment method. (threadbanger.org) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
r.forslund
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010 02:57:45 PM »

thanks yall. ive actually checked out the threadbanger episode,it was interesting to see a different technique being used.
i definitely know what you mean lindsayrose about the materials being so cheap. i was shocked to see that you could buy the hair for less that 2.50 USD. but sadly i know that i dont have the time., my little one keeps me on my toes and wants to "help" with all my projects. i found some one who sells her falls for 60 USD which would be great bc my father in law got me an ebay gift card for christmas (which ive never used ebay) and shes willing to sell it to me from there. so id only be spending 10 USD. we dont live in the states so all my materials have to be bought online. so weighting my opinions buying seems to be an easy out. at least until we move again and i have easier access to materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010 04:42:39 PM »

check over on the fiber arts board. There are some awesome ladies over there who make them, and they also provide instructions on how to incorporate them into your hair Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

r.forslund
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010 09:48:26 PM »

check over on the fiber arts board. There are some awesome ladies over there who make them, and they also provide instructions on how to incorporate them into your hair Wink

thanks i'll check that out.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010 01:42:33 PM »

JaneDoe is the fiber mod, and she has an awesome shop, I follow her shop Jungle Dread on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jungle-Dread/226689233975?ref=ts

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010 01:42:49 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
WickedTwist
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011 08:52:57 PM »

I realize this is an old post, but I wanted to point something out for anyone else who might come across it.

Synthetic dreads can be made of several materials; hair, synthetic braiding hair, kanekalon, horse hair, felt, or even wool. Kanekalon is what is usually used for doing colorful dreads.

Kanekalon is cheap, but you do have to consider more than that. First of all, the colors used for the falls or synthetic installs. It can cost up to $4.00 (sometimes more, sometimes less) for certain colors and you may get from 3-7 dreads from one color pack depending on the thickness. If you want 100 dreads that means you need to buy somewhere from 15 to 33 packs of Kanekalon. That is around $60 - $132 just for the Kanekalon. Let's assume you chose a cheap color, you would pay about $15 - $33. None of this includes shipping if the creator of the dreads orders your braiding fiber. This also does not include labor or the fact that the person may happen to have some very lovely equipment to make your dreads/falls high quality and last longer (steamers, brushes, loom etc).

Labor could cost per hour or per dread. I tend to see it per dread. So maybe you want 100 dreads and they charge .75 cents per dread (awesome price if you ask me!). That's $75 added to the cost of shipping, the cost of materials and any other services.

One particular set I've been working on costs around $75 for all the Kanekalon. It may take me several hours to make 100 dreads depending on the style (transitional, twisted, no-seal, added beads, yarn, braiding etc). I would feel I was cheating myself to only charge for the materials and nothing or very little for the time, effort, creativity and love I put into it.

I do agree that for a trial set this may be a bit much, but for quality dreads made especially to your liking, it seems reasonable.

I have not tried other fibers yet, but I know the prices can vary with those too. I hope that someone may find this informative, and I mean no offense to the OP. Just wanted a little heads up to the pricing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Model Candice Swanepoel LIVE
Candice Swanepoel Answers #NoFilter Questions
Holiday Beauty Gifts for $30 or Less
The 6 Best Red Lipsticks
Is Your Pillowcase Making You Breakout?
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...