A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Many Uses For / Incarnations Of Picture Marbles  (Read 63916 times)
Tags for this thread: marble_magnet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

simone
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2003 10:16:34 PM »

I know these marble magnets have been all over the place (i.e. Not Martha, etc.), but I don't think anyone has posted them specifically on here.

Supplies:
flat marbles (I ordered them from this mosaic website: http://www.mosaic-witsend.com/)
1/2" round magnets (from Home Depot)
1/2" hole punch (from Michael's)
hot glue + gun
oragami paper or pics from magazines
Altoid tin
spray paint for metal

I went through all my magazines looking for 1/2" circular pics and then realized that I really like the look of oragami pattered paper. I ended up using that mostly.

So, punch up all the paper you like and take your magnet and dab a little glue on it, then place the pic down. Then, put down a little more glue (enough to cover the whole 1/2" as you squish the marble down). Place the marble on top and press it firmly down until it seems like the glue has dried (approx. 10 seconds). Beware: these magnets are strong, so don't be surprised if their force takes over and they get pulled to your unfinished magnets.

Now, I'm an insane pack-rat and often collect things knowing that "one day I'll make something fabulous outta this here thang!" So, I've been hording Altoid tins figuring they'll come in handy sometime. Well, here's the time. I spray painted a bunch with this:

I think it's probably best to sand the tin just a little. Make sure you spray paint outdoors (cough, cough) and know that it might take a few coats to get the tin covered completely.

I glued a little sheet of paper to the bottom. The tin's the perfect gift box for 6-8 magnets.

I've given these as little gifts to friends and they've been thoroughly appreciative--you can never have enough strong, minty-smelling magnets!

--Simone

P.S. Sorry for all the glare on the pix!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2004 08:03:27 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*chickadeesimone.livejournal.com* www.chick-a-dee.com * www.bazaarbizaare.o rg * www.magpie-store.com*
isadora
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003 08:13:58 AM »

I love marbles & magnets so I have a TON of these. I've noticed that simple patterns seem to go over big with my friends and they always want those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.isadora-ink.com
Clever Gifts & Greetings
comfits
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003 05:33:32 PM »

These are such a cool project & such a big hit!!  I'm doing them as a project for my daughter's birthday party.  I think the girls will just love them!!  Too bad I don't like Altoids!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alea
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003 01:59:22 PM »

I made some beads on the same idea as the glass marble bracelet and magnets. I glued the images to the marbles with Omni-Gel, then glued polymer clay backs with a bead hole to them with Omni-Gel and superglue.

Terrible photo, but I have plans for refining the technique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrl13
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004 10:36:57 AM »

Here are some clips i made. I bought the bobby pins with the circular post on one end at Michael's.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004 10:42:51 AM »

Those are really cool.  I didn't realize Michaels sold those type of bobby pins.  May have to pick myself up some of those this weekend.

They look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jinxya26

But I gotta Rock!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004 05:15:10 PM »

Grin Those are really cute, but does the marble make the bobbin heavier? I would be afraid of it falling out of my hair, those are too cool to lose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrl13
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004 06:55:34 AM »

Those are really cute, but does the marble make the bobbin heavier? I would be afraid of it falling out of my hair, those are too cool to lose!
The bobby pins i purchased are supprisingly tight and heavy duty. I have fairly thin hair and they stay in all day, even with the marble on the end. crazy stuff.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004 06:56:05 AM by grrl13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissTee_2

Harry Potter is Love.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004 11:52:46 PM »

MORE FUN WITH MARBLES!
I was browsing through magazines at work and came across this in a one. The name escapes me now, but it was a article about how to make marble pendants. I thought it sounded easy, so I whipped these up when I came home. They came out nicely actually. I dont think that you would just have to use ribbon.

Materials needed:
eye pins
glue *I USED GEMTAC, IT DRIES CLEAR*
marbles
felt
images of what ever you want

1.Cut out a picture and piece of felt the size of the marble.
***I just put it down on the paper and traced around it***
2. Place some glue on the marble and put your image down on it.
3.Wait for it to dry. Then put some more glue on it, put your eyepin down and then put the felt on it.
4.Wait for them to dry. Thread some ribbon through it and VOILA!
Tie it around your neck and you are ROCKIN SISTA!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004 08:34:32 AM by MissTee_2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly
artzyfartzy
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004 05:49:24 AM »

cool! ive made loads of marble rings + magnets, but no necklaces yet. i'm going to try it. i usually use E6000 glue or Goop, but they both smell so horrible!..where do u get GEMTAC? is it really fumey as well? i probably cant get away from that..but i thought i'd ask.  thanks  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Classic Banana Bread
How to Make a Lighter Peanut Butter Pie
How to Make a Red Velvet Cheesecake
How to Make Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding
How to Make Crispy Chocolate Hearts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...