A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Many Uses For / Incarnations Of Picture Marbles  (Read 65019 times)
Tags for this thread: marble_magnet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dcunited11

DCU [champs] 1996-1997-1999-2004

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2006 03:24:16 PM »

ok, after getting all of my supplies from walmart this afternoon, i came back and read that e6000 glue turns yellow  Angry

what other glue DOES NOT turn into a color? i don't remember the other brands of glue there, but i do remember mod podge or something like that.

please help!!! i really want to make some magnets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melesse
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2006 05:19:47 PM »

When I went on a marble magnet making binge about god... 3, maybe 4 years ago I just used silicone "glue" (caulking, more like) for bonding the image to the marble and the marble to the magnet. The silicone never yellowed, but just this winter the marbles have been coming away from the magnets. I'd personally try with silicone to bond picture to marble, let dry, and then the e6000 to the magnet.

hth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell stuff too! SkyWorks ~ It's all about the wistlists, babeee!

I do personal swaps... PM me.
dcunited11

DCU [champs] 1996-1997-1999-2004

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2006 06:02:25 PM »

alright. i guess the e6000 isn't a total waste. thanks.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aodhfionn

signed, sealed, delivered

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2006 08:15:36 AM »

Having now filled a reasonable amount of my fridge with these, I now want to rush right out, buy more supplies, and give everyone early birthday presents.

Of course, the marbles I got were iridescent, so I can easily convince myself to make more.

And the oragami paper is a great idea. I always want to buy some because it's so pretty, but never can find an excuse.

Has anyone tried putting a safety pin on the back, to create a kind of pin effect?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onnawufei
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2006 10:27:43 AM »

Here's what I did with mine. 

I couldn't find any actual backs for necklaces but I did find these weird clasps for... I don't even know what, my coworker says bracelets.  They're loops though so I've just started glueing them to the back and POOF now I can make necklaces.  I've also been putting tape on the back of all the pictures so it won't be a big deal if I get caught in the rain or something.

The "geek" one has since been made into a necklace I'm wearing now and the skull is a magnet that my friend has in his car.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Modus Operandi
Paint Hussie

handpainted and repurposed vintage items

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2006 10:34:55 AM »

Has anyone tried putting a safety pin on the back, to create a kind of pin effect?
I have made pins before, but not with safety pins. I have used tac pins and clasp pins with a round flat back, that come in packages of 10 at a craft store in the jewelry department. Its easier to work with a flat backed pin I think than trying to attach a small rod, especially with the weight of the marbles.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shops! http://www.enamor.etsy.com

enamorweddingshttp://www.enamorweddings.etsy.com

Pinteresthttp
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2006 11:37:18 AM »

I made my first magnets and here is what I learned:

1.  Scrap book supplies, while they can be expensive, if you find them on clearance they can make really cool magnets!  I made magnets using dried mini roses that were marked down to $1 for like 10 of them in a package!  I also got these beetle bugs on clearance from either Joann's or Michael's in the scrap book section and made them into magnets too.

2.  Don't use Tacky Glue!  Here is why - I used Tacky glue for my first set, the mini roses and beetle bugs. I used too much glue on the first one and the red color bled.  I didn't realize that the legs on the bugs were metal and they rusted!  I told myself that it made the bugs look like they were trapped in Amber. Ya...that's what happened....I meant for that to happen.  It also took about two days to dry. It did dry clear, but it looked weird.

I have since bought a tube of e6000.  I'm a total convert!

So, I keep an eye on the scrap book section of my local craft stores for bargains to use for these magnets. The papers are cool and the little "things" make for lots of interest under the marble. I just watch for the bargains.

I also bought a roll of this crazy mod monkey wrapping paper to use to make them.  I haven't done it yet though.

Someone asked a while back in this thread where the bobby pins with the flat head can be found.  They are in the Bridal section at Michaels. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onnawufei
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2006 12:27:44 PM »

I love the scrapbook section but isn't it hard to use three dimensional things for these? 

Something I was thinking of doing was making a bunch of these and covering a clear square candle holder in them.  I'm just not sure how well the glue would hold up to the heat of a candle.  Hmm... maybe covering a little trinket box would be a better idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2006 12:39:43 PM »

I love the scrapbook section but isn't it hard to use three dimensional things for these? 

Hmm... maybe covering a little trinket box would be a better idea.

I covered them with a piece of felt. Then attached the magnet to the felt.  It has held up fine so far, even the bugs.  The flowers were really flat, they were pressed flowers. But you are right, you wouldn't want to use some of the really bulky scrapbook things.

I used the bug and the rose on a box for a recent swap.  The rose was just posted.  The bug hasn't made it to my other partner yet. It is on it's way! So it hasn't been posted yet.  But you can see the rose here.  Actually you can see them both here as magnets!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=85009.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

123shopaholic
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2006 08:36:39 PM »

I tried to figure out the best place to share these since this is actually what I do with the iridescent marbles that don't work for picture marbles because of their shiny tint.  I would love to find large, clear marbles that are this size but the ones I see online are quite expensive.

Using wire, I wrap around the marble several times (this is very random -- no two look the same) and then create a wire loop with the same piece of wire so that they can hang on a pre-existing chain necklace.  You have to make sure to match the loop size with the necklace(s) that you want to wear it on since they are kind of heavy and need to be on a chain that can support the weight.  The loop can show above or be hidden behind the marble like the blue marble on the right.

I have also done this with smaller coloured glass marbles.

Hope you like them!

Three amulets

How the amulet looks on a chain

Modelling the clear amulet

hey, i tried that but it didn't work, like when i wrapped it, i couldn't keep it properly inplace, what to you do with the end of the wire that isn't used to attach to the necklace string? it keeps coming loose
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Reuse Old Business Cards
How to Sharpen Scissors
How to Strip Wood
How to Turn a Hoodie Into a Bag
How to Turn a Hoodie Into a Laptop Bag
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...