A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Many Uses For / Incarnations Of Picture Marbles  (Read 64506 times)
Tags for this thread: marble_magnet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knit_jaime_knit
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2006 06:19:32 AM »

I can't wait to get out and buy some marbles to start making some fabulous things.  I especially love the idea of giving magnets in an Altoids container.  I'm sure the presentation is just fabulous and my friends would *love* them.  Plus, there are similar magnets that are sold at little trendy shops (at least where I live) that cost a small fortune (in my cheap opinion) and personalize DIY is always so much better.  yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

))<>(( 
Back and Forth.  Forever.
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2006 04:36:28 PM »

THese are SO MUCH FUN!!

Here's my version of a "caged" ladybug. I plan to make some other caged "beings", as well (some fairies, for example).

Loving these little marbles!

~CD~

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.e tsy.com
crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2006 09:33:53 PM »

I have a likely lame question, but am going to ask it anyway.

I need some advice for getting the glue residue OFF the marbles after I've done all this gluing. There seems to be a lot of it, and I'm not having a lot of luck with just picking it off. Maybe soap/water? I fear using the water, as I don't want it seeping into/between the two marbles causing them to split apart.

Eeeek!

Help?

TIA,
~CD~

p.s. I think my hands are hopelessly gluey now, too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TrashedClothing

You only wish you had a Yeti hat like me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2006 08:20:13 AM »

I have a likely lame question, but am going to ask it anyway.

I need some advice for getting the glue residue OFF the marbles after I've done all this gluing. There seems to be a lot of it, and I'm not having a lot of luck with just picking it off. Maybe soap/water? I fear using the water, as I don't want it seeping into/between the two marbles causing them to split apart.

This is probably a lame answer so I guess we will go hand in hand. Haha. What about trying to use the corner of a blade to scrape it off. Obviously you don't want to push too hard so it doesn't scratch the marble, but it could work. Also, what kind of glue are you using? I use decoupage on the base of the stones and then stick them to the paper and let them dry for awhile. After that, I decoupage a piece of vellum before I glue any sort of magnet, pin, etc. on it. I think 2 part epoxy (the syringe type) works best. I tried the E6000 that everyone talks about and I must say within 5 minutes, I was starting to get sick from the smell even with all the windows open. Yuck! Sorry I rambled on, but I hope this helps you out a little bit.

Here's a photo of a barette I recently made. I forget who suggested it, but putting a piece of fabric first really does make a difference!

I've also been a magnet whore lately. These aren't even all of the ones I have made, but they are all that fit on the back of our white trash light up beer sign. Haha.

Any comments are always welcome!! Thanks  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011 02:37:01 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2006 10:12:51 AM »

Thing 1 and Thing 2!! I LOVE IT!!

I'm using this stuff called "Aleen's Jewel=It" for the glue. I've also been experimenting with GS hypo-cement. I have some other stuff called "Aleen's 7800 (no clue if this is siimilar to that e-6000 stuff or not, but it it a pain in the tail to spread out). I've been just picking away at it with my fingernails, and it's sortof coming off. I hope to reclaim my hands soon, as well. LOL!

I made some barettes (the clippy type) with seahorses in them, but the seahorses look kindof blurry (printer issue).

I have a little monkey now, a caged ladybug, some nifty snowflakes (these have beads around them) all made from these fun marbles. I'm loving this!

~CD~

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TrashedClothing

« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2006 10:34:01 AM »

Crazydoc, those are awesome!! I'm jealous! Haha. I tried to make a few with images I printed from the computer, but they just tend to smear or be blurry like you had said. I've found the best thing to use to be scrapbooking paper. You can get almost any image or pattern you want and you can make a ton from just one page. That is actually where the Dr. Seuss images came from(thanks Mom!). I just picked up a few more pages of deisgns and patterns so I'm going to make some push pins today. I went to about 5 stores to try to find those blank bracelet templates, but no one seems to have them. Ohwell, I'd love to try something like you made. They look great. I'd love if you could share some tips!! Thanks!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2006 10:52:34 AM »

Hi, TC

Your stuff is so neat!

I think the thing that helped me most with the little pendants, was to flatten the wire first. My hubby flattened the first one by just hammering it, but I also found that you can just give it a hearty squeeze with some good pliers to get the same effect. It seems to sick SO much better this way (more surface area for sticking, I'm guessing, and it doesn't roll (which is a pain).

I'd love to see some more of your work!

~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2006 10:59:09 AM »

Here's my version of a "caged" ladybug. I plan to make some other caged "beings", as well (some fairies, for example).
~CD~

Loving your marbles - especially this ladybug - it looks 3D almost. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2006 11:17:28 AM »

Loving your marbles - especially this ladybug - it looks 3D almost. Smiley

Thanks! 

The ladybug is the same on both sides, so he does look a bit 3-D (I glued the marbles back to back, and did the same image on both sides Smiley When I find a pic of a fairy I like, I'll do the rear view on the back side (e.g., show the back of her hair, her dress, etc). "Fire and Ice" is coming next

~CD~
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006 11:19:35 AM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TrashedClothing

« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2006 04:46:52 PM »

Hey CD! I just went and took special pictures just for you! Haha. I am not so good at getting away from the glare, but these are the only other barettes I have made. I also made a set of 5 push pins from the "extras". Hope you like!!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011 09:14:25 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own How to Film
Learn About the Film Noir
10 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big-Screen - Part 1
Elizabeth Taylor Dies at 79 of Congestive Heart Failure
Basic Video Production Lighting Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...